Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Having lived in NYC for a number of years, I couldn't agree less, with the exception of the crust for their NY style. That is superb. Two Boots was superb [[I have heard it is no longer very good). One of the Ray's was excellent, the other was crap. Other than that, it was a crapshoot, with the exception of one or two other consistently good wood-fired places in Brooklyn that didn't sell "New York Style" pizza, per se [[crisp, foldable crusts, minimal sauce [can't have it dripping on your shoes], etc.) White pizza was the best, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncledave54 View Post
    I can't be a homer on this one..... imho, all pizza in Michigan is garbage. Give me a slice or two of NY pizza any day.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    NY style pizza or pizza from NY? I would agree that NY has some great pizza, but honestly there are some places in metro Detroit that do non Detroit style pizza great [[Supino's comes to mind, when I compare it to some of the pizza I have had in NYC).
    I am referring to NY style.

With that said, i will admit some NY style pizza is better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Interestingly enough, I was just leafing through RealSimple magazine and found this:
    https://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...peppers-recipe
    Apparently, Detroit Pizza has become official
    Cheddar Cheese on a Detroit style pizza???
    They're already laying claim to it. Next thing will be tuna and kale with guacamole sauce.

Let's call that Chicago Style.
    Last edited by Bigb23; May-29-19 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Having lived in NYC for a number of years, I couldn't agree less, with the exception of the crust for their NY style. That is superb. Two Boots was superb [[I have heard it is no longer very good). One of the Ray's was excellent, the other was crap. Other than that, it was a crapshoot, with the exception of one or two other consistently good wood-fired places in Brooklyn that didn't sell "New York Style" pizza, per se [[crisp, foldable crusts, minimal sauce [can't have it dripping on your shoes], etc.) White pizza was the best, though.
    Yeah, the quality varies a lot. Some of it is hardly better than Little Caesar's.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    You have it backward. Jet's is obviously bandwagoning off of the buzz around Detroit-style pizza.
    That's exactly what I suspected them of doing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    From what I understand... New York style pizza has a character all its' own and is very functional due to its' flatness....
    Speaking of New York, I've always been curious about the egg cream which has neither eggs nor cream in it. Anyone serve a New York-style egg cream in the Detroit area?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    Speaking of New York, I've always been curious about the egg cream which has neither eggs nor cream in it. Anyone serve a New York-style egg cream in the Detroit area?
    Zingerman's Deli, of course, has it as one of their beverages.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Yeah, the quality varies a lot. Some of it is hardly better than Little Caesar's.
    When was the last time you had LC? It's been a while for me, but it gets surprisingly high marks for the major chains.

When was the last time you had LC? It's been a while for me, but it gets surprisingly high marks for the major chains.
    It really depends on the location. We have one near us that is absolute garbage. Another two locations that are a bit further away are usually great.

Ingredients reign supreme - I've had outstanding pizza in NJ & NY

Chain restaurants have to sell quantity and it just can't compete.
    GREAT pizza will cost a lot, just like a great steak.

The bummer about little ceasars is that they have the capacity to make a decent pizza. Reason being, the other big national pizza places have their dough brought in by truck. LC's makes their dough in house which could be a real asset. Unfortunately they pound the thing with the cornmeal on the bottom to make it kind of gritty. The sauce has a bitter flavor and toppings like sausage there are an abomination.

The Italian cheese bread square is pretty good tho, I used to grab one in Kmart way back when.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Ingredients reign supreme - I've had outstanding pizza in NJ & NY

Chain restaurants have to sell quantity and it just can't compete.
    GREAT pizza will cost a lot, just like a great steak.
    I agree, and I think this is true for most foods, which is why a place like Supino's is delicious. There are a lot of pizza places on the east coast that do it right with ingredients, and it shows, but it is $20 + for a pizza. You get what you pay for.

You got me, lol. It's probably been almost 20 years.

Loui's, Cloverleaf, Shields, Buddy's & Green Lantern taste & look all the same [[not fresh ingredients).....my vote: Deluca's!

Have not tried Supino's, but that thin stuff w/any type of leaf is not for me......

As to the best beverage with pizza, the late columnist Mike Royko had it right when one of his readers, who didn't like any kind of pizza, wrote complaining that her kids' school had served milk and pizza for lunch. Royko answered: "That's terrible. They should have served beer with pizza!"
    Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    As far as nutrition, pizza is almost the perfect garbage food. At least be sure to wash it down with a beer and not a coke.

Paul's Pizzeria, on W. Vernor in SW Detroit, opened about 1960 and is still going strong, making dependably tasty round pizzas that never claimed to be Roman or Neopolitan, or even Detroit, style, but it was always a treat when Mom didn't care to cook and said "....run over to Paul's...." [[BTW, in those days nobody ever called the neighborhood "Springwells".)

There is a side thread on where to obtain an egg cream beverage
    in the metro Detroit area; someone mentioned Zingerman's in
    Ann Arbor.
    Stage Deli on Orchard Lake Road also serves them. However
    most photos of the food and drinks there do not feature an
    egg cream, so it is something of a novelty now, rather than
    a staple drink, such as their water in pretty blue tall glasses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2