Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Style Pizza opinion

So, everyone loves [[or should) Detroit style pizza. Loui's and Cloverleaf are my personal favorites. About the last year or two I've noticed that Jet's, a Michigan pizza chain has started calling their square pizza 'Detroit style' and I find this laughable. Their pizza is square and that's the only thing that resembles it. Now I love Jet's pizza, but I find the claim they're making absurd. Anyone else have an opinion?

The best, in my opinion is Buddy's, which is the true Detroit style. Went to Cloverleaf last summer . Hadn't been in years. I was disappointed. The dough was not crispy like a Detroit style should be and they over did it with the cheese. It was almost soggy. Jet's isn't bad but not a true Detroit Style. I'm partial to sfincione, which is what my grandmother made. You can get that at Bommarito's in SCS. Not a lot of sauce, airy dough and crispy edges.
    Last edited by Maof; May-27-19 at 09:25 AM.

Happy's pizza anyone? Just joking, it's about the worst. A slice of 'hot and ready' is almost better! --...--

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    The best, in my opinion is Buddy's, which is the true Detroit style. Went to Cloverleaf last summer . Hadn't been in years. I was disappointed. The dough was not crispy like a Detroit style should be and they over did it with the cheese. It was almost soggy. Jet's isn't bad but not a true Detroit Style. I'm partial to sfincione, which is what my grandmother made. You can get that at Bommarito's in SCS. Not a lot of sauce, airy dough and crispy edges.
    I actually tweeted to Jet's and they claim it's Detroit style because of the crust.

Loui's in Hazel Park and the original Buddy's rock. Last time I had a Jet's pizza, the toppings were literally chopped into tiny little pieces and nothing about that pie resembled Buddy's, Loui's, Sheilds or Cloverleaf. It was awful.

Given that Jet's has been undergoing a rapid national expansion over the past few years, Detroiters should appreciate the marketing.

Even if it's not "true" Detroit-style pizza, it is still good entry-level exposure for people who've never knew Detroit had its own style of pizza. If they like it, they'd be eager to come to Detroit and try "true" Detroit-style pizza.

In short, I don't get the outrage. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-27-19 at 11:03 AM.

Detroit should set up a Detroit-style pizza validation committee like they do for champagne.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Given that Jet's has been undergoing a rapid national expansion over the past few years, Detroiters should appreciate the marketing.

Even if it's not "true" Detroit-style pizza, it is still good entry-level exposure for people who've never knew Detroit had its own style of pizza. If they like it, they'd be eager to come to Detroit and try "true" Detroit-style pizza.

You have it backward. Jet's is obviously bandwagoning off of the buzz around Detroit-style pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

How does this lady "protest too much"? I had a lousy pizza from Jet's. Nothing more, nothing less. It certainly didn't taste like a Detroit pizza or a good pizza of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    How does this lady "protest too much"? I had a lousy pizza from Jet's. Nothing more, nothing less. It certainly didn't taste like a Detroit pizza or a good pizza of any kind.
    That may have been directed at me. Oh well. There is the original and knock-offs. Jet's is a knock-off.

There's a show on PBS, Saturday afternoons called Cook's County. A few months ago, they did an episode making Detroit style pizza. They went into detail on how to achieve the dough consistency and even down to the pans they use.

Responding to Maof's comment: Cal's on East Warren had a good Detroit style in the 70's. I worked there and did a lot of tasting when the owner was experimenting before selling it. Conclusion: The pans, and their proper seasoning, were the keys to the crispy crust quality.

Is Buscemi's considered Detroit style or just deep dish? I don't remember it having a particularly crispy caramelized crust, but it was great pizza. The sauce made it, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 13606Cedargrove View Post
    Responding to Maof's comment: Cal's on East Warren had a good Detroit style in the 70's. I worked there and did a lot of tasting when the owner was experimenting before selling it. Conclusion: The pans, and their proper seasoning, were the keys to the crispy crust quality.
    Good old Cal's! Yes, the pans are a big part of that good edge on the pizza. It's similar to seasoning a cast iron pan.

I can't be a homer on this one..... imho, all pizza in Michigan is garbage. Give me a slice or two of NY pizza any day.

I usually like Buddy’s. The last one I had from the Maple / Lasher carry out was terrible.

The Jets location on Maple / Eaton has great food, never has anything bad from that spot.

Uncle Andy’s on Woodward and Normandy is pretty damm good too, I recommend it.

1. Louis
    2. Cloverleaf / Buddy's
    3. Green Lantern
    4. Shields [[though I've only had their pizza a couple of times - it's OK, just not as good as the above)

Louis default pizza is a bit underdone, so you ask for it well done and it comes out perfect. Ditto Cloverleaf. Buddy's *usually* comes out right, but sometimes is also underdone. I think when they are busy they try to rush things a bit.

As for the "regular" pizza places:

1. Primo's
    2. Toramina's
    3. Jet's / Hungry Howie's
    4. Papa Romano's
    5. Everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Uncledave54 View Post
    I can't be a homer on this one..... imho, all pizza in Michigan is garbage. Give me a slice or two of NY pizza any day.
    From what I understand... New York style pizza has a character all its' own and is very functional due to its' flatness....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Unpopular opinion, but true.

As far as nutrition, pizza is almost the perfect garbage food. At least be sure to wash it down with a beer and not a coke.

Interestingly enough, I was just leafing through RealSimple magazine and found this:
    https://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...peppers-recipe
    Apparently, Detroit Pizza has become official

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Is Buscemi's considered Detroit style or just deep dish? I don't remember it having a particularly crispy caramelized crust, but it was great pizza. The sauce made it, I think.
    I used to buy Buscemi's all of the time because of the sauce. During the 80's and 90's, that was the best pizza sauce I had in my life. Then the sauce started to vary from store to store, then changed completely.

I used to say I'd pour it over my breakfast cereal if I had enough.

I find that getting any carry-out Detroit style pizza has the potential to ruin the pie. Too much moisture gets trapped in the box, which affects the quality of the thick crust. Dining in at the original locations is always better for that reason, and the 100 year old pans don't hurt either.

I used to buy Buscemi's all of the time because of the sauce. During the 80's and 90's, that was the best pizza sauce I had in my life. Then the sauce started to vary from store to store, then changed completely.
    Totally agree, and whatever they're now using gives me heartburn. The store at Martin & Hoover had/has a deal of two slices, a bag of better made chips, and a can of pop for $2.99. Can't go wrong there !

Detroit Yes is making me hungry lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post

I used to say I'd pour it over my breakfast cereal if I had enough.
    I never had the chance to eat Buscemi's pizza in the 80's, but in the 2000's on, I would have to agree the sauce [[and pizza in general) isn't that great.

NY style pizza or pizza from NY? I would agree that NY has some great pizza, but honestly there are some places in metro Detroit that do non Detroit style pizza great [[Supino's comes to mind, when I compare it to some of the pizza I have had in NYC).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast