Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I'm just here for the guy with google skills arguing medicine with a DO,

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well if he's a workaholic... Gilbert needs to make some life altering changes. My uncle was a business owner workaholic as well... and died at 53 of a stroke. This should be not only a wakeup call to Gilbert, but also a cultural change at his company. I just read thru reviews of Quicken Loans employees... common thread... "horrific work/life balance, overworked."
    That is absolutely true. They recruit many right out of college and entice them with a "hip" work environment and free snack/coffee bars, fitness center, etc. They are working upwards of 60/70 hours a week. Not worth it.
    Last edited by Maof; May-28-19 at 01:32 PM.

You never want to use the term "lucky" when someone has a serious medical event, but he was fortunate that his friend got him to the hospital at the onset of symptoms and the actual stroke occurred there. Every second counts in minimizing permanent damage and even an extra 15 minutes before treatment normally results in such.

4. Default

Here is the official statement. The stroke-like symptoms became an actual stroke luckily, if that can be used, after he was in the hospital.

Dan Gilbert, founder and chairman of Quicken Loans Inc., is "awake, responsive and resting comfortably" after suffering a stroke Sunday, according to a statement Monday night from Quicken Loans CEO Jay Farner.

"Dan Gilbert and his family are grateful for the outpouring of support following the news of his hospitalization early Sunday. ...," the emailed statement said.

"Dan was not feeling well Sunday morning so he was taken to the hospital by a family friend. While under care at the hospital, he suffered a stroke and was immediately taken in for a catheter-based procedure, then moved to recovery in the Intensive Care Unit.

"Dan is awake, responsive and resting comfortably. Dan and his family are immensely grateful to the doctors and nurses whose early intervention is already paying dividends toward his recovery.

"We will update the public as additional details become known. Thanks to the strong culture and leadership Dan has built and grown, business at the Rock Family of Companies will continue under the normal, everyday direction of their respective CEOs.

"Our collective thoughts and prayers remain with Dan for a speedy recovery."

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/news/d...ency-procedure

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Here is the official statement. The stroke-like symptoms became an actual stroke luckily, if that can be used, after he was in the hospital.

Dan Gilbert, founder and chairman of Quicken Loans Inc., is "awake, responsive and resting comfortably" after suffering a stroke Sunday, according to a statement Monday night from Quicken Loans CEO Jay Farner.

"Dan Gilbert and his family are grateful for the outpouring of support following the news of his hospitalization early Sunday. ...," the emailed statement said.

"Dan was not feeling well Sunday morning so he was taken to the hospital by a family friend. While under care at the hospital, he suffered a stroke and was immediately taken in for a catheter-based procedure, then moved to recovery in the Intensive Care Unit.

"Dan is awake, responsive and resting comfortably. Dan and his family are immensely grateful to the doctors and nurses whose early intervention is already paying dividends toward his recovery.

"We will update the public as additional details become known. Thanks to the strong culture and leadership Dan has built and grown, business at the Rock Family of Companies will continue under the normal, everyday direction of their respective CEOs.

"Our collective thoughts and prayers remain with Dan for a speedy recovery."

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/news/d...ency-procedure
    Thanx for copying and pasting the article. We should take up a collection and send him some flowers. [[I'm serious)

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Thanx for copying and pasting the article. We should take up a collection and send him some flowers. [[I'm serious)
    Better yet, a donation to The Gilbert Family Foundation in the name of Detroityes and its members who appreciate all he has done for the city:

https://www.gilbertfamilyfoundation.org/

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Better yet, a donation to The Gilbert Family Foundation in the name of Detroityes and its members who appreciate all he has done for the city:

Good call.

I second this, definitely a good call.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    I second this, definitely a good call.
    I've got $20 burning a hole in my pocket. We'll give Lowell some time to see what he thinks.

I feel for this man and his family. Having a stroke anywhere is bad news. Hopefully the media and the city of Detroit will give Dan Gilbert the time needed to recuperate.

I wish Mr. Gilbert a complete recovery for his and his family’s sake.

The folks in charge behind him at his company’s need to step up and let him take all the time off he needs to follow his doctors orders and get well.

12. Default

I've got $20 burning a hole in my pocket. We'll give Lowell some time to see what he thinks.
    I support this and will donate too. A get well card with a donation to his foundation would be a nice gesture from those of this forum who appreciate all he has come to mean for Detroit.

I support this and will donate too. A get well card with a donation to his foundation would be a nice gesture from those of this forum who appreciate all he has come to mean for Detroit.
    Thanks Lowell. I can't remember how you've done donations in the past. What's the easiest way to do this, individually or as a group?

Question: How is this going to be handled, Lowell? Are we sending money to DY, and then you're going to make one contribution on behalf of DY? Are you going to pass the card around so we can sign it? Thanx.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Question: How is this going to be handled, Lowell? Are we sending money to DY, and then you're going to make one contribution on behalf of DY? Are you going to pass the card around so we can sign it? Thanx.
    I would suggest we create a separate thread so the forum knows about it. In past gestures, like the itsJeff memorial and the Darryl Banks grave marker on SoulfulDetroit, collection was done through the AtDetroit PayPal portal and can be done in this instance. [AtDetroit, LLC is the parent company of DetroitYES and SoulfulDetroit.]

As for a card, passing one around would take forever and many members are not local. We could chose a card then print an attached letter saying something like ‘Get well and and thank you from the members of DetroitYES’, followed by a one sentence thank you from each donor, something like “Thank you for saving the beautiful Stott Building.” Etc. followed by their forum name. It could wrapped around a check for the total collection. Individual donation amounts would not be listed.

For transparency, I have to insist that the individual donation amounts be shared with the other donors only, but not the general forum or public, so that it will be absolutely clear to all who donate that the amount collected is the amount sent. Only forum names would be used throughout to insure privacy. A redacted picture of the check [to hide account number], the card and letter would be posted on the thread.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?
    Sounds perfect. Thanks.

I would suggest we create a separate thread so the forum knows about it. In past gestures, like the itsJeff memorial and the Darryl Banks grave marker on SoulfulDetroit, collection was done through the AtDetroit PayPal portal and can be done in this instance. [AtDetroit, LLC is the parent company of DetroitYES and SoulfulDetroit.]

As for a card, passing one around would take forever and many members are not local. We could chose a card then print an attached letter saying something like ‘Get well and and thank you from the members of DetroitYES’, followed by a one sentence thank you from each donor, something like “Thank you for saving the beautiful Stott Building.” Etc. followed by their forum name. It could wrapped around a check for the total collection. Individual donation amounts would not be listed.

For transparency, I have to insist that the individual donation amounts be shared with the other donors only, but not the general forum or public, so that it will be absolutely clear to all who donate that the amount collected is the amount sent. Only forum names would be used throughout to insure privacy. A redacted picture of the check [to hide account number], the card and letter would be posted on the thread.

Thoughts?
    I don't need a copy of the check, or even the amount posted, Lowell. I trust you to do the right thing. Passing the card around was a little joke. [[very little it seems) I'm good with the rest. Who wants to create the @Detroit portal and thread?

One of the CEOs said Gilbert was talking and understood the conversation so it seems like he's mentally normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    One of the CEOs said Gilbert was talking and understood the conversation so it seems like he's mentally normal.
    Unfortunately it doesn't appear he has the function of verbal speech.
    "he knew I was there. He knew what I was talking about."
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/20...th/1274461001/

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    I'm just here for the guy with google skills arguing medicine with a DO,
    Haha, well everyone is entitled to their opinion but I would definitely want to prevent misinformation on a subject I am very familiar with.

Also, did 313WX delete his/her posts or just block me?

Also, did 313WX delete his/her posts or just block me?
    His posts are gone.

Yep, sounds like he’s nonverbal 😕

Haha, well everyone is entitled to their opinion but I would definitely want to prevent misinformation on a subject I am very familiar with.
    I feel the same way. To use statements like "mentally normal", although not intended as such, is inappropriate at best. I found the statements from Gilbert's business partners have confirmed the seriousness of his stroke. Unfortunately, as we get older we all get more familiar than we would like with stroke, heart attack and other illnesses.

Please note that a new thread Thanks And Get Well Card For Dan Gilbert has been established per the above suggestions of 401don and Honky Tonk.

On the positive side Crains reports that "Dan Gilbert's team says that although his recovery from a May 26 stroke "will take time," he is joking with hospital staff as that takes place."

sounds like he's verbal to me. sorry haters. you lose again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast