Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Detroit's population may increase slightly, but it will never reach it's zenith again, of 2 million people, in the early to mid 50"s, when it was the 4th largest city in the U.S.
    BTW, a slight correction, but Detroit was technically the 5th largest city by the early/mid 50s [[LA had already surpassed it) and was probably already slowly declining in population by that point.

If it had peaked at 2 million, my suspicion is that it was likely at some point between 1945 and 1950, just as wartime employment was winding down and the soldiers were returning home, yet when suburban sprawl was just kicking into full gear.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-28-19 at 02:43 AM.

Right now Detroit's black population in 2017 has been decreased rapidly to 77 percent while its white population increase slowly to 13 percent. The Hispanic population has been increased very slowly to 7 percent.

Detroit 2050:

pop. 970,990

48.9% black
    37.3% white
    10.1% hispanic
    2.7% other

Now that's bring back diversity. Detroit's pop will be stable during that time. But development and gentrification will continue. At least the Detroit Lions will win their first Super Bowl by then.
    Last edited by Danny; May-28-19 at 05:54 AM.

it's not growing in the distressed neighborhoods. there are still plenty of empty houses and smaller apartment complexes, including those that are too devastated to rehab.

I feel like this is the next big task that the Mayor and the city need to tackle. They have done pretty well getting city services back to acceptable-ish and bringing business back, now they need to tackle the population problem. Offering incentives or some way to bring people back into areas outside the CBD. Obviously this may come naturally, but helping it along is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    I feel like this is the next big task that the Mayor and the city need to tackle. They have done pretty well getting city services back to acceptable-ish and bringing business back, now they need to tackle the population problem. Offering incentives or some way to bring people back into areas outside the CBD. Obviously this may come naturally, but helping it along is necessary.
    A lot of what would spark population growth is beyond the mayor's control.

Even St. Louis and Cleveland, which are pretty healthy from a city services and balanced budget standpoint, continue to experience population decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    I rarely say never, however, having grown up in the late 40's and 50's in Detroit I would have to agree.
    I think this is not a long range reality. The entire eastern seaboard of the US will eventually be forced to migrate elsewhere. The southwest US will be dried out and the West Coast not attractive for a myriad of reasons. Peak oil will limit real sprawl and the midwest megaopolis has the infrastructure, resources, and economic clout to handle the incoming wave of domestic refugees. Our next war is for water, and I personally bought a home within the Great Lakes Water Compact area. I'm not a doomsday prepper, but I'd like to ensure some environmentally safety for my descendants. Third Coast = Best Coast

Facts for naysayers:
    Oklahoma and Arkansas were bracing for their worst-ever flooding
    Camp Fire CA - why is no one in jail?
    Intense Tropical Cyclone Idai
    2018 Global Catastrophe Recap
    Last edited by hybridy; May-28-19 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    BTW, a slight correction, but Detroit was technically the 5th largest city by the early/mid 50s [[LA had already surpassed it) and was probably already slowly declining in population by that point.

If it had peaked at 2 million, my suspicion is that it was likely at some point between 1945 and 1950, just as wartime employment was winding down and the soldiers were returning home, yet when suburban sprawl was just kicking into full gear.

Yeah, you may be right. It held the position of 5th largest city up to the 1980 census, when the population started declining, and cities like Houston and Phoenix surpassed it.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; May-28-19 at 11:01 AM.

Detroit reached the 2 million mark briefly in 1954.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Detroit reached the 2 million mark briefly in 1954.
    So that's post-war, pre-suburban migration and initial baby boom.

I'm skeptical of that 2 million number in 1954, and Census estimates in general as time has proven more than once.

That means it would have declined by over 300,000 people in only 5 years. Detroit didn't even see that rate of decline from 2000 to 2010, in the midst of a burgeoning fiscal crisis and economic collapse.

Detroit didn't even see that rate of decline from 2000 to 2010, in the midst of a burgeoning fiscal crisis and economic collapse.
    By 2000 most of the decline was over. Most of it took place in the mid 70s through the 90s. By 2000 pioneers were moving back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    By 2000 most of the decline was over. Most of it took place in the mid 70s through the 90s. By 2000 pioneers were moving back in.
    You dropped the "/s"

I'm skeptical of that 2 million number in 1954, and Census estimates in general as time has proven more than once.

That means it would have declined by over 300,000 people in only 5 years. Detroit didn't even see that rate of decline from 2000 to 2010, in the midst of a burgeoning fiscal crisis and economic collapse.
    When I went to DPS in the 1960s and early 1970s, we were taught that 1954 was the peak year when Detroit's population hit [[or got close to) the 2 million mark. That was also the time when Detroit had the most automotive jobs in the city.

If you can find a yearly estimate of the city's population [[besides the census every 10 years)... I'm open to being corrected. I could not find such a yearly listing online. Otherwise I stand by what was taught to me in school.

Anecdotally speaking... Northland opened in 1954, Eastland in 1957... Packard Plant closed in 1958. The houses in my SCS neighborhood were all built between 1956-58. So Detroit's population loss in the 1950s did not start slowly. Also the Lodge and Ford Freeways cut huge chunks of neighborhoods out of the city in that era.
    Last edited by Gistok; May-29-19 at 10:43 AM.

Detroit's population is close to the same size now as it was in 1910, before the city's automotive boom began. The city's population peaked at 1.86 million in 1950. The 2012 U.S. Census showed the city with about 700,000 residents. Detroit covers 138.76 square miles, with a shoreline of 4.12 miles.

Via Forbes article.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    When I went to DPS in the 1960s and early 1970s, we were taught that 1954 was the peak year when Detroit's population hit [[or got close to) the 2 million mark. That was also the time when Detroit had the most automotive jobs in the city.

If you can find a yearly estimate of the city's population [[besides the census every 10 years)... I'm open to being corrected. I could not find such a yearly listing online. Otherwise I stand by what was taught to me in school.

Anecdotally speaking... Northland opened in 1954, Eastland in 1957... Packard Plant closed in 1958. The houses in my SCS neighborhood were all built between 1956-58. So Detroit's population loss in the 1950s did not start slowly. Also the Lodge and Ford Freeways cut huge chunks of neighborhoods out of the city in that era.
    I believe that Detroit's population got above 1.9M, but it probably never hit 2M. To get there it would have required the city to grow much faster between 1950 and 1954 than the average growth from 1940 to 1950. However, the difference between 1.9M and 2M is psychological. Regular people wouldn't be able to discern the difference at street level in 1952.

I always thought that at its peak Detroit had 1.8 + million residents, never reaching 2 million. The first I have heard the 2 million number was in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I believe that Detroit's population got above 1.9M, but it probably never hit 2M. To get there it would have required the city to grow much faster between 1950 and 1954 than the average growth from 1940 to 1950. However, the difference between 1.9M and 2M is psychological. Regular people wouldn't be able to discern the difference at street level in 1952.
    Downtowns relative to their populations were really crowded compared to today since everyone came into the city for shopping, medical & legal appointments, services, movies etc.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I always thought that at its peak Detroit had 1.8 + million residents, never reaching 2 million. The first I have heard the 2 million number was in this thread.
    It topped out at 1.85 on the official census, but there are many articles and academic material that speculate the city's population probably didn't go into decline until the recession of 1953 - 1954.

Back on topic. It would be news on the national scene if the Detroit population took a bump even if it was very slight in the 2020 census.

Good news is good news and the reality is a majority of people are followers not leaders.

Any change in public perception to the positive is beneficial to the entire metro region. The “Detroit is shit but the suburbs are nice” is not enough anymore. Suburbs are as common as a Walmart in this country and Detroit’s are nothing special by themselves.

I'd be shocked if Detroit has over 500,000 residents. A curisory look at Google maps shows a majority of Detroit's land area to be vacant. Secondly, those that do live in Detroit and have cars are highly likely to have address in the suburbs to avoid outrageous auto insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Colombian Dan View Post
    I'd be shocked if Detroit has over 500,000 residents. A curisory look at Google maps shows a majority of Detroit's land area to be vacant. Secondly, those that do live in Detroit and have cars are highly likely to have address in the suburbs to avoid outrageous auto insurance.
    Not necessarily... if State Police motorist stops in the first year of the state takeover of Belle Isle is any indication... some will make their first insurance payment so they can get their license plate tabs renewed... and then let their insurance lapse for another year....

Quote Originally Posted by Colombian Dan View Post
    I tend to agree. Large swaths of the city just feel emptier than ever.

There was a significant outflow of people during the Bing administration that wasn't accounted for in the last census.

I also remember similar conversations taking place back in 2009 about Detroit's decline slowing [[based on the Census estimates that were way off) before everyone was hit with the official 2010 number.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-31-19 at 05:49 AM.

Two thoughts:

1. I understand 1953 to be the population peak...

2. Everyone said Rome would never get back over a million in-habitants after it was sacked, now here they are close to 3 million...

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post

2. Everyone said Rome would never get back over a million in-habitants after it was sacked, now here they are close to 3 million..
    And it only took 500 years......

Census numbers are not based on vehicle registrations.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast