Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Jeff Bezos on Auto Industry: "I'm Very Excited!"

The CEO of Amazon seems to be extremely bullish about the future of the Auto Industry, and one of the two companies he mentioned specifically is Rivian.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/21/jeff...-industry.html

I guess it's good to have the world's richest man excited about a local startup.

"Jeff Bezos tells employees he’s ‘very excited’ about the auto industry"

I hope he doesn't wet himself.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The CEO of Amazon seems to be extremely bullish about the future of the Auto Industry, and one of the two companies he mentioned specifically is Rivian.
    There isn't anyone who doesn't think the auto industry will be shaken up in the next decade or two. This screams opportunity.

Bezos moves 'stuff' efficiently. I'd expect he can find ways to move people efficiently as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    There isn't anyone who doesn't think the auto industry will be shaken up in the next decade or two. This screams opportunity.

Bezos moves 'stuff' efficiently. I'd expect he can find ways to move people efficiently as well.
    Bezos is nothing but an investor, he doesn't find ways to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    He found a way to establish the 2nd largest company in the world and shake up the retail industry.

So what have you done lately?

He found a way to establish the 2nd largest company in the world and shake up the retail industry.

So what have you done lately?
    No he didn't do that nor did he create anything new. A ton of other drones and minds built that company.

but hail corporate I guess!

I woke up from a great night of sleep and had a butter pecan iced coffee from dunkin donuts on my commute, thanks for asking!

You either work for yourself or for someone else. Everything is corporate. Everything has a brand. you have your own personal brand, albeit, you may not have realized its marketability yet.

I woke up from a great night of sleep and had a butter pecan iced coffee from dunkin donuts on my commute, thanks for asking!
    no judgment..you do you, but don't you feel ill after something so rich in the morning?

Dunkin
    Butter Pecan Swirl Iced Macchiato with Whole Milk
    Large
    380 cals
    8 g fat
    4.5 g saturated fat
    390 mg sodium
    64 g carbs

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    no judgment..you do you, but don't you feel ill after something so rich in the morning?

Dunkin
    Butter Pecan Swirl Iced Macchiato with Whole Milk
    Large
    380 cals
    8 g fat
    4.5 g saturated fat
    390 mg sodium
    64 g carbs
    I have amazing genetics and a very high metabolism.

No he didn't do that nor did he create anything new. A ton of other drones and minds built that company.

You're right to a certain extent. You can have the Worldsgreatest minds, buy they'll sit there estimating how many leaves are in a tree. You could have the fastest, most efficient drones, and they'll stand there rusting. Someone has to have a feasible idea, and coordinate the minds to program the drones, to get them to churn out something that'll keep both fed and well oiled. I hate flavored foo-foo coffee, but I'm glad you got some rest.

Sounds like Bezos has accomplished a lot more in his life than you have, and you're in no place to be thumbing your nose at the work of others.

Sounds like Bezos has accomplished a lot more in his life than you have, and you're in no place to be thumbing your nose at the work of others.

Drunkin' Donuts is not a good place for nose thumbing?

I woke up this morning and my coffee pot had already ground the beans and had a fresh pot waiting for me to pour.

Less then 50c

Hail corporate but how much was your iced coffee,including fuel,time waiting,wear and tear on your car or bike from starting etc. ?

me before|after my dunkin iced pecan whatever the fc*k cool whip drank

There are good reasons to be optimistic about the vehicle industry and it certainly seems that greater Detroit will remain axis mundi for that industry. Russell Sage recently published the book Wrecked: How the American Automobile Industry Destroyed its Capacity to Compete by Joshua Murray and Michael Schwartz. They seek to explain why the market share held by the Big Three has fallen drastically in the last half century. They are extremely critical of the way managers of the Big Three firm organized production and how they dealt with labor costs. The author further argue that the Obama and Trump administrations did not and do not understand the challenges of the vehicle industry and their interventions will prove counter productive. These authors are much more pessimistic than Jeff Bezos.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    There are good reasons to be optimistic about the vehicle industry and it certainly seems that greater Detroit will remain axis mundi for that industry. ...
    What are those 'good reasons'? And why should Detroit 'remain axis mundi'?

While I am an optimist, Detroit's position in the auto industry seems at risk. New companies like Tesla have little connection to Detroit. And our organized labor doesn't have a strong history of supporting innovation -- preferring to codify existing work rules and methods. [[Are there any Union initiatives to encourage new-entrants to locate in SE Michigan?)

A corporate shill and a Bernie supporter? uhh somethings wrong here.

You are a sea of contradictions and misinformation though. so it's fitting.

Had another butter pecan ice coffee today. they're very good. highly recommend.

'While I am an optimist, Detroit's position in the auto industry seems at risk. New companies like Tesla have little connection to Detroit. And our organized labor doesn't have a strong history of supporting innovation -- preferring to codify existing work rules and methods. [[Are there any Union initiatives to encourage new-entrants to locate in SE Michigan?)'

Unfortunately, I may agree with the author...

Btw, I like these debates about flavoured coffee as I drink only americano made of smooth and well-balanced medium blend coffee with sweet, spicy, and berry notes. [[yep, I'm a coffee lover)

Washington needs to put a stop to this nonsense before it's too late. Amazon has been on this path for a while, but Covid19 and the Fed's free money train mean that Bezos basically has unlimited resources to consume or destroy any industry he decides to enter. Without a need [[Or apparent desire) to profit from these ventures, there's literally no way for anyone to compete. He's making a mockery out of the free market [[And our tax laws).
    Last edited by Johnnny5; June-29-20 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Washington needs to put a stop to this nonsense before it's too late.
    Fat chance.

This post alone is why I wished Yes had button clicks/gifs. Ya know like LOL or wall head banging. You must live at Amundsen?

EDIT-Oh crap, obviously I needed my morning Butter Pecan coffee before I posted this.

is this part of his alleged further investment in Detroit? hmm..

Peugeot is spinning circles around the cars in this country,Tesla is a tinker toy in comparison and very primitive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KU5M8_fZcwY

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Peugeot is spinning circles around the cars in this country,Tesla is a tinker toy in comparison and very primitive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KU5M8_fZcwY

I like the part where she says "a car that could be driven today". Yeah, we can't even fix hundred year old bridges and potholes and we're going to have the infrastructure for self-driving cars? Not in my lifetime.