Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default SEMCOG Biking and Walking Survey

Hello folks!

SEMCOG is looking for feedback on how to improve and promote biking and walking within the region. If you're interested in influencing the way forward, please take 10-15 minutes to fill out the survey!

https://semcogbicyclepedestrian.metroquest.com/

Quick and easy to do.

One thing that need to be done is to take these unsued alleyways the run through the lower eastside such as the Gratiot Vandyke to Mcclellan area and other areas and repave them into walking/cycling paths. Many of these alleys were closed off having weeds and grass grown through the concrete. The city proposed homewoners extending their backyards into the alley behind them but that had never materialized. The Riverfront conservancy had really slowed many of the projects along the riverfront and the Dequindre Cut from a snail's pace to a stand still every since Faye Nelson had stepped down being the head of it. It had taken two years for the Cut to expand through the Eastern Market area to Mack with flemsy excuses to why the delayed. SEMCOG will have to put a more reliable company to add more trails and bicycle paths throughout the city and surrounding suburban areas if they want the project to be completed in a timely manner
    c

Could someone post a map of abandoned rail lines in the city of Detroit that could be converted into pedestrian/bicycle trails? The Dequindre Cut is one that has been accomplished but there are traces of quite a few other abandoned rail lines. Thank you,

This needs to be discussed, otherwise we have an F**K you shouting match.

From Reddit -

Attachment 38234

I've had that where a motorist making a right turn at a red light, will eye you at the crossing, and then floor it as you walk your bike in the crosswalk.

[[shaved 2.3 sec off her trip).

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    This needs to be discussed, otherwise we have an F**K you shouting match.

From Reddit -

Attachment 38234

Michigan law is as described, if the bike is in the road, it has to follow car laws. If the bike is on the sidewalk\pathway, the biker has all the same rights and responsibilities as a pedestrian as well as additional duties to notify pedestrians when you are passing them from behind. Bikes also must yield to pedestrians.

Here's a good review of the laws in Michigan: https://bikelawmichigan.com/michigan-rules-of-the-road/

Bottom line:
    If you're a driver, chill out, watch for bikes and peds.
    If you're a biker, have your head on a swivel and be respectful of peds.

A year or two ago online, I tried to find a "I brake for bicycles" bumper sticker.

I could only find "I brake for Bigfoot" and " I speed up for bicycles" There you have it, both hillbilly inspired.
    Last edited by Bigb23; May-19-19 at 11:48 PM.