Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Default Michigan's 20 Most Dangerous Intersections--All in SE MI, only 2 in Detroit

The annual list is out with the usual suspects.

1. Telegraph Road at 12 Mile Road, Southfield: 145 total crashes, 24 injuries
    2. Orchard Lake Road at 14 Mile Road, Farmington Hills / WestBloomfield: 144 total crashes, 20 injuries
    3. 18 1⁄2 Mile Road at Van Dyke Avenue, Sterling Heights: 141 total crashes, 12 injuries
    4. M-5/ Martin Parkway at Pontiac Trail, Commerce Township: 138 total crashes, 9 injuries
    5. I-75 at Big Beaver Road, Troy: 129 total crashes, 13 injuries
    6. 11 Mile Road/I-696 at Van Dyke Avenue, Warren/Center Line:126 total crashes, 27 injuries
    7. Telegraph Road at Schoolcraft Road, Redford Township: 125 total crashes, 15 injuries
    8. State Road at Ellsworth Road, AnnArbor/Pittsfield Township:123 total crashes, 6 injuries
    9. Hall Road/M-59 at Schoenherr Road, Utica/Sterling Heights: 116 total crashes, 20injuries
    10. I-75 at M-59, Auburn Hills: 115 total crashes, 30 injuries
    11. Joy Road at M-39/Southfield Freeway, Detroit: 99 total crashes, 26 injuries
    12. Hall Road/M-59 at Romeo Plank Road, Clinton Township: 99 total crashes, 18 injuries
    13. I-75 at 14 Mile Road, Madison Heights: 96 total crashes, 17 injuries
    14. Metropolitan Parkway at Van Dyke Avenue, Sterling Heights: 95 total crashes, 20 injuries
    15. Metropolitan Parkway at Mound Road, Sterling Heights, 94 total crashes, 20 injuries
    16. Big Beaver Road at Rochester Road, Troy: 92 total crashes, 27 injuries
    17. Ford Road at Lilley Road, Canton Township: 91 total crashes, 25 injuries
    18. 11 Mile Road at Gratiot Avenue E, Roseville: 90 total crashes, 31 injuries
    19. Hall Road/M-59 at Van Dyke Avenue, Utica: 89 total crashes, 13 injuries
    20. 8 Mile Road at Woodward Avenue, Detroit: 87 total crashes, 10 injuries

Technically, 8 Mile and Woodward is shared with Ferndale. So there's only one actually in Detroit.

I find it interesting that #2&3 are both large roundabouts which are SUPPOSED to be safer than normal intersections

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I find it interesting that #2&3 are both large roundabouts which are SUPPOSED to be safer than normal intersections
    They are safer it's just that idiots don't know how to use them and don't understand right of way.

I think they're supposed to be safer in terms of traffic fatalities. I don't love roundabouts - I think they're a pain and people fly through them too quickly. What I do find telling between 2&3 and others is the ratio of incidences to injuries. 144:20 and 141:12 versus say Big Beav and Roch at 97:27 or Gratiot and 11 at 90:31.

Oh, and I think 4's a twirly-loo too

Hah! #2 That Orchard/ 14 mile roundabout at the bottom of Northwestern is nuts. It's the same intersection where recently those two people crashed/ died with the car engine flying out. That particular roundabout comes in an odd angle as well!

Last edited by Zacha341; May-17-19 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    They are safer it's just that idiots don't know how to use them and don't understand right of way.
    I agree that they are safer, but the blame for the number of accidents isn't totally on drivers for not knowing how to navigate them. Many were simply poorly designed. That's readily apparent by the major revisions that have been done to some of them recently.

Senior citizens are the ones, that have a hard time negotiating roundabouts. Also, you're going to run into the daredevil types, that blow right thru, whether a car is coming, or not. For the most part, they are safer.

This. It requires people to actually pay attention when driving, however most are too busy looking down at their phones. Honestly I wish most intersections were roundabouts, they are more efficient, and gives people the opportunity to get their the intersection quicker and more effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    This. It requires people to actually pay attention when driving, however most are too busy looking down at their phones. Honestly I wish most intersections were roundabouts, they are more efficient, and gives people the opportunity to get their the intersection quicker and more effectively.
    Unless they have to wait for the cops and ambulance to show up.

Yessir to any intersection off of Hall Rd.

I drove #7 daily for years and I don't remember seeing many, if any accidents there. Telegraph goes over, Jeffries goes under. The four crossing points are essentially one way in each direction since the roads are fully divided.

Maybe rear end accidents from people not stopping behind traffic?

Nay. It's a British conspiracy to destroy the Colonies. I am certain.

You can keep saying the roundabouts are "safer" and there are only accidents because people don't know how to use them, but doesn't that make them unsafe? If people are unaware of the rules for whatever reason, it's not safe

There was talk of making 12 mile and telegraph a roundabout.

You can keep saying the roundabouts are "safer" and there are only accidents because people don't know how to use them, but doesn't that make them unsafe? If people are unaware of the rules for whatever reason, it's not safe
    It isn't indicated in this article but they often result in a higher number of accidents but far fewer fatal accidents - more side-swipes at lower speeds.

The Ann Arbor intersection [[technically Pittsfield Township) on the list is also a roundabout.

I love them, the problem is that most Metro Detroit drivers are senseless rubes who only know how to drive in straight lines because they've never been 2 miles beyond the dirt floor shack they were born in. You can get through a roundabout in 20 seconds while otherwise, with the volume at those intersections, you'd be waiting 5 minutes for an intersection with left-turn signals at each side.

I'm curious to see how #5 on this list [[Big Beaver & I-75) will do when they reconfigure the interchange... this may likely freak out some drivers as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsgTbaeMU3M

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    It isn't indicated in this article but they often result in a higher number of accidents but far fewer fatal accidents - more side-swipes at lower speeds.

The Ann Arbor intersection [[technically Pittsfield Township) on the list is also a roundabout.

I love them, the problem is that most Metro Detroit drivers are senseless rubes who only know how to drive in straight lines because they've never been 2 miles beyond the dirt floor shack they were born in. You can get through a roundabout in 20 seconds while otherwise, with the volume at those intersections, you'd be waiting 5 minutes for an intersection with left-turn signals at each side.
    Nice choice of words poobs. Maybe the problem is there's only a few of these far and few between. So, of course, if you're not from an area that has one, you're not going to know what to do with one once you're on top of it. But hey, after they've pissed away the money to put one in, they'll defend it to the grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I'm curious to see how #5 on this list [[Big Beaver & I-75) will do when they reconfigure the interchange... this may likely freak out some drivers as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsgTbaeMU3M
    That was fascinating - I was mesmerized watching it. I am concerned about the cars that disappear when the use the loops, though.

Senior citizens are the ones, that have a hard time negotiating roundabouts.
    I resent that - and get off my lawn job, kid !
    Last edited by Bigb23; May-18-19 at 05:37 AM.

My first experience with a roundabout [[rotaries)was about 30 years ago in Massachusetts. Although it's much more congested there, it's also every man for himself. Ours are a piece of cake.
    Last edited by Maof; May-18-19 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hah! #2 That Orchard/ 14 mile roundabout at the bottom of Northwestern is nuts. It's the same intersection where recently those two people crashed/ died with the car engine flying out. That particular roundabout comes in an odd angle as well!
    That couple was evading the police, in a chase, driving upwards of 100 mph. Police called off the chase, and they kept speeding. Actually, they didn't even drive thru the roundabout, they kept straight on Northwestern, and hit a light pole, directly across the street from J Alexander's restaurant. A memorial was placed at the scene.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; May-18-19 at 08:55 AM.

Mine was in Mass. about 20 yrs ago, and yeah, they'd just as soon bump you into a wall as let you get out of the circle. And someone above said the truth when they said they are few and far between here which makes it hard for non-locals to get used to them
    Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    My first experience with a roundabout [[rotaries)was about 30 years ago in Massachusetts. Although it's much more congested there, it's also every man for himself. Ours are a piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Nice choice of words poobs. Maybe the problem is there's only a few of these far and few between. So, of course, if you're not from an area that has one, you're not going to know what to do with one once you're on top of it. But hey, after they've pissed away the money to put one in, they'll defend it to the grave.
    Exactly, HT.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast