Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I had the chance to spend some drive time in a rented Dodge Charger. I must say the buzz of driving a strong car was present... vrrrom, vrrmmm! But no I did not drag race!
    A friend has one, stick to boot. [[2nd childhood syndrome ). I've driven it a couple of times. It's fun for about an hour then the constant growling gets annoying to me, and it's also a bit uncomfortable. I'm by no means a truck or SUV person, but I'm also done with the street hot rod thing. Though I have to admit, the 4 banger track cars and rice-burner motorcycles do look interesting.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-30-19 at 06:04 AM.

^^^ Stick hmmm? I'd have love to drive that for a bit.

Yeah, all that growling of the engines lets you know they are near so you can prepare to move out of the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Stick hmmm? I'd have love to drive that for a bit.

Yeah, all that growling of the engines lets you know they are near so you can prepare to move out of the way!
    Seriously, Zacha341, DON'T change lanes @ the last second. Whatever's going on in their minds, they've already picked a line to get around you. You could be putting yourself in harms way instead of out of it. Had a rice-burner yesterday evening decide to use the parking lane to get around traffic, and cut people off.

There is an old story out there about a phone call from DPD to GM one night asking what they were putting into the 1964 GTO because they could not catch them.

You guys have it easy,we have dropped rice burners [[ the car version) added to the mix,at least you can hear them coming with thier farting mufflers.

I remember back in the 70s Minnesota regulated that you could not have over 600 hp on the public roads,today it is not uncommon to see corvettes,mustangs and chargers going sideways,all that HP and people still cannot handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    The Challenger SRT® Hellcat rules supreme with
    a quarter-mile time of 11.2 seconds and a top speed of 199 mph
    There is no valid reason for any car with that type of rating to be able to get a license plate for normal street use.

^ what is considered normal?

Driving 45mph in the fast lane while yapping on the phone at one time was not considered normal,but yet here we are.

Street racing has been around sense wheels were invented,they have not been able to stop it in all this time,what is going to change it?

The 2019 Dodge Demon goes 0 to 60 in 2.3 seconds and is listed as the fastest production car in the world.

The hellcat might as well be a pinto.

My friend just bought a 2019 F250 that is rated at 450hp,granted the wipers did not work, but my 1947 Chev 1 ton is rated at 70 Hp with a top speed of 45 mph but ironically enough they both will pull a tree down.
    Last edited by Richard; May-30-19 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    There is no valid reason for any car with that type of rating to be able to get a license plate for normal street use.
    I have to go with you on that one. Now, put that equivalent horsepower in a behemothmobile, that sits 3' off the ground, and the driver is stoned, drunk, and texin'.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-30-19 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I don't know how fast these guys were driving, but really there's no reason [[other than profits) that any street legal vehicle should leave the factory with the capability of going more than 90mph.

With GPS and computer aided cars becoming more advanced, I hope events like this are going to greatly decline in the near future. My guess is that humans will still be behind most wheels in 20-30 years, but those vehicles simply won't allow drivers to act like this. I won't miss it one bit!

I would not hold my breath on that one,it’s electronics that are making these speeds possible.

If it has a computer it can be hacked and modified and somebody will do it.

I want one of those police flying motorcycles that they use in Dubai,go as fast as you want with no traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I don't know how fast these guys were driving, but really there's no reason [[other than profits) that any street legal vehicle should leave the factory with the capability of going more than 90mph.

With GPS and computer aided cars becoming more advanced, I hope events like this are going to greatly decline in the near future. My guess is that humans will still be behind most wheels in 20-30 years, but those vehicles simply won't allow drivers to act like this. I won't miss it one bit!

The Charger and Challenger Hellcats, have speedometers from the factory that go to 200 MPH. Even the R/T models which have lower HP ratings, are fast as hell. I'm sure some knuckleheads, have tried to reach it. Speed kills, but Chrysler sells a lot of both. The Challenger outsells the Camaro and Mustang, which also has engines that top out to almost 700 hp. I just wonder how much is it, to insure any of them? Gotta be a small fortune, added to the cars $70-$90 grand price tag.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; May-30-19 at 03:29 PM.

America - the land where Profit - Money - Greed - rule supreme.

It really has nothing to do with most communities operate at 35/45 mph
    and the highways are a bit quicker in the 70 mph range.
    We wouldn't want to pass laws prohibiting manufacturing/ownership

People kill people, not cars. Oh wait that air bag thing, ignition thing, ...

The insurance must be astronomical... especially for any one under 25!

I talk to teens that desire these models to be their first car? Delusional I suppose, but then there are some who have them!

I also wonder who many purchases will go full finance term length outside of repossession, or being totaled out from accidents.

I hope FCA is thinking down the road about this.........

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    The Charger and Challenger Hellcats, have speedometers from the factory that go to 200 MPH. Even the R/T models which have lower HP ratings, are fast as hell. I'm sure some knuckleheads, have tried to reach it. Speed kills, but Chrysler sells a lot of both. The Challenger outsells the Camaro and Mustang, which also has engines that top out to almost 700 hp. I just wonder how much is it, to insure any of them? Gotta be a small fortune, added to the cars $70-$90 grand price tag.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-31-19 at 11:06 AM.

Years ago I worked for Ford, in New Jersey.
    NONE of the young employees drove a new MUSTANG because of insurance
    We would drive a Probe GT, Taurus SHO, and modify the engines on our own

Ever sleep with the windows open, just to be woke up by screaming motorcycles, growling engines, peel outs, etc. All around a bad idea.

Tone it down a bit, and here's hoping electric cars make it a quieter place.

^^^ I was worse! Just fresh from college, I worked white collar part-time job at one of the big-three and drove a Toyota Tercel [[used) so I was relegated to the back of the parking lot!

I was working PT and could not afford new -- domestic or use!
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-31-19 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Years ago I worked for Ford, in New Jersey.
    NONE of the young employees drove a new MUSTANG because of insurance
    We would drive a Probe GT, Taurus SHO, and modify the engines on our own

Ever sleep with the windows open, just to be woke up by screaming motorcycles, growling engines, peel outs, etc. All around a bad idea.

Tone it down a bit, and here's hoping electric cars make it a quieter place.
    New Jersey,yep now it becomes clear.

You cannot really count SHOs because they had Yamaha engines in them.The only way ford could build a car was by sticking a rice burner engine in it?

I always perfered powerfully quiet,it draws less attention.

I had a 1989 Volvo turbo wagon that would smoke a 5.0 mustang and get 30 mpg on the highway.

A 2018 KIA stinger sold for $38,000 and went 0 to 60 in 4.4 seconds,365 hp.

Audi S5/S4 $54,000 0 to 60 4.3 sec 354 hp

BMW M3 0 to 60 4 sec 425 hp $66,500

Those cars will all do what they do in a straight line and not all squirrelly on the road like the corvette,chargers,and mustangs do.

I think that is the biggest problem,they are putting all that power at the rear wheels but not matching the suspension,it is just big hp in a light car, power to weight ratio,they say the biggest problem with the mustangs is with a camber issue that never got addressed.

Those cars are kinda built like the 60s GTOs and such,straight line on the track weekends,I think it would be hard to find a fox body mustang that has not been wrecked.

The 2019 F250 is governed at 90 mph but gets there pretty quick.
    Last edited by Richard; May-31-19 at 08:08 PM.

^^^...Ah Audi... that rather reserved looking car that can smoke many showy muscle cars. I saw one zip by doing 90 mph rather comfortably; US10 Northbound at Six mile.

Missing the Autobahn was my guess!
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-01-19 at 12:17 PM.

^ lol that is the difference between American and imports,hypothetically speaking if I am going 130 in my Jaguar and have to do an emergency maneuver it is no different then doing it at 35 mph,In an American built car it would be a disaster.

My Speedo is governed at 153 because of the tire speed ratings,if the hellcat is at 200 mph I wonder what the tires are rated at and what they cost.

I believe it can hit the 200 mph because there is a video on you tube of a stolen one that out ran police and news helicopters at speeds in excess of 200,they could not keep up with it even with telescopic lenses.

It was a blown tire that stopped it.

Porshe has to do thier testing on the autobahn at 3 am because otherwise there to much traffic.

Montana is good for testing,speed limit is based on weather, no limits.

Interesting with speedometers,remember back when they all read max 80 mph and then they changed it back to 120 after the fuel crises,the theory was if you have a speedometer that reads max 80 when you are going 70 in the mind 10 more mph and the car will be at its limits,so going 55 was in a comfortable range.

I also had a Fiat 128 with 1100 cc engine that ran I-75 daily to WSU .
    The horsepower idiocy is way over rated for an everyday transport vehicle.
    Enzo Ferrari drove a 128 as his personal vehicle, daily driver, because it was a great car.

Drag racers should be punished severely for putting others at risk
    Last edited by O3H; May-31-19 at 11:30 PM.

All this talk of the various car models... was this tragic accident a result of cars, or of the crap 'culture' and attitudes on 7-Mile?

6 Mile and 7 Mile are far worse than 8 Mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^ lol that is the difference between American and imports,hypothetically speaking if I am going 130 in my Jaguar and have to do an emergency maneuver it is no different then doing it at 35 mph,In an American built car it would be a disaster.

My Speedo is governed at 153 because of the tire speed ratings,if the hellcat is at 200 mph I wonder what the tires are rated at and what they cost.

I believe it can hit the 200 mph because there is a video on you tube of a stolen one that out ran police and news helicopters at speeds in excess of 200,they could not keep up with it even with telescopic lenses.

It was a blown tire that stopped it.

Porshe has to do thier testing on the autobahn at 3 am because otherwise there to much traffic.

Interesting with speedometers,remember back when they all read max 80 mph and then they changed it back to 120 after the fuel crises,the theory was if you have a speedometer that reads max 80 when you are going 70 in the mind 10 more mph and the car will be at its limits,so going 55 was in a comfortable range.
    Good points.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    All this talk of the various car models... was this tragic accident a result of cars, or of the crap 'culture' and attitudes on 7-Mile?

6 Mile and 7 Mile are far worse than 8 Mile.

Probably, a combination of both. The cars involved were a Challenger and Camaro.

In the lighter side of things and with Florida being a magnet for wakos here is a guy that got pulled over for a traffic infraction and bolted,no chase policies.

He would have got away with it had he had not been a dumb *ss and called 911 to brag about it.

We want results but tie the hands of those we wish to provide them for us.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/florid...g-traffic-stop

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Montana enacted daytime speed limits 2-3 years ago, ending their "reasonable and prudent spped" standard.

I dunno, but I must have been born a natural dud. To me, if the car couldn't bring home a 4x8 sheet of plywood, I didn't want anything to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I dunno, but I must have been born a natural dud. To me, if the car couldn't bring home a 4x8 sheet of plywood, I didn't want anything to do with it.
    Any car with a roof rack can do that.

Quick and easy:

How to Use Your Car's Luggage Rack to Transport Plywood
    https://www.instructables.com/id/How...transport-ply/

More robust:

Roof Rack for 4x8 Sheets
    https://www.instructables.com/id/Roo...or-4x8-Sheets/
    Last edited by bust; June-03-19 at 07:40 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast