Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What happened to that Firehouse sub place up on Woodward in Ferndale? Were their subs any good?

Dan’s Giant Subs on Grand River and Orchard lake in Farmington. They were there since the 70’s until just recently closed. Great homemade bread.

Buscemi's on Crescentwood and Gratiot in Eastpointe [[East Detroit in my day). Still the best - good rolls and dressing made them special.

Quote Originally Posted by 13606Cedargrove View Post
    Buscemi's on Crescentwood and Gratiot in Eastpointe [[East Detroit in my day). Still the best - good rolls and dressing made them special.
    Wasn't the "the original"? I know it's the one I used to go to in the early 70's

Yes - since sometime in the 50’s

I'm not sure if this is considered a sub, but the Cubano Grande [[meat & vegetarian) sandwich at Vincente's on Library is delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    I didn't know of the bakery across from Terry's. I do know it's not the same owner from the 70's. I believe it was sold at least 10 years ago keeping the name. Still good though.
    I grew up around there. The name of the Bakery was Mario's Bakery. They had the best rolls and creme filled doughnut sticks...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Dan’s Giant Subs on Grand River and Orchard lake in Farmington. They were there since the 70’s until just recently closed. Great homemade bread.
    Dan's opened in either 67 or 68, original location was in the Farmington Plaza, Grand River and Mooney across from the LaSalle Winery. I used to go there for lunch after I started at Farmington High in the fall of 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by WildWolverine View Post
    I grew up around there. The name of the Bakery was Mario's Bakery. They had the best rolls and creme filled doughnut sticks...
    Was it across Gratiot or 15 mile?

Haz's on Fort Street are great!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Thanks for the name of this! I was trying to remember it. Never been there but had always heard great things. I see on Google it's been replaced by a Bellacino's [[not bad either!) which was just further west on Grand River.

Suzie's Sub Shack in Garden City.....back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by yaktown View Post
    Thanks for the name of this! I was trying to remember it. Never been there but had always heard great things. I see on Google it's been replaced by a Bellacino's [[not bad either!) which was just further west on Grand River.
    The family decided to retire, and didn't want to sell the name to anyone. Bellacino's grabbed the property shortly after they closed.

Anyone for Subway!? Just joking......

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    The family decided to retire, and didn't want to sell the name to anyone. Bellacino's grabbed the property shortly after they closed.
    Their plan was always to retire and close up shop, but Dan passed away a couple of years ago before that could happen. His wife ran the store for a year after that before closing last year.

The subs were pretty good. As stated previously, the bread was the best part. I liked the retro feel, though. All of the sub options were hung on the wall on carved wooden plaques and they had those nifty yellow laminate booths.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Not locally, but I've grown from a hater to a liker simply because of road trips. They've become the modern Stuckey's or Mac's for me. Reliable, predictable, light, & cheap. Quite useful for a light lunch.

I really enjoy all the newer chains...Firehouse, Penn Station, and Pot Belly's are quite good, although over-priced for sure. Never could eat a buscemi's sub....makes me burp for 2 days.

Default Definitely Gonellas!

On Oakwood just past the Rouge Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Gonella's! 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Why? Subway's chicken salad on multi-grain bread is delicious..

^^^ I do their tuna on that bread from time to time. About the most edible offering they have......
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-05-19 at 06:35 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2