Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The best sub sandwiches you've had, and recommend - or don't exist anymore

Detroiters love their subs. They can be described as similar to a pizza or coney dog experience.

I used to like Tubby's back in the day. The one on Gratiot and six mile or so.

The subs sold at Kresge were the best. When Kresge became K-Mart something was lost.

Tubby's Steak & Cheese. Buschemi's torpedoes. Bommarito's in St. Clair Shores - they make the best lemon ice and cannoli, too.

Bommarito's, Terry Sub's in Clinton Township

Alcamo's, Dearborn. Get you one.

Two places in Dearborn, both on Greenfield:

Ricky’s Sub Shop or Biondies. Biondies also has good pizza.

Jersey Giant, and its no competition. This place was founded in Lansing and has a bunch of stores in that area stretching to Howell.

The only metro Detroit location currently open is in Melvindale but it is worth the drive from any distance.

Their bread is perfectly light and airy, the meat is fresh cut, and the mixture of vinegar and oil has kept them in business for more than 40 years.

Ventimiglia's Italian on a hard roll with peppers. On Dodge Park and 15 Mile, used to be on 8 Mile near Redmond, I think.
    For a newish chain, Which 'Wich is very good.

I used to enjoy subs until I learned all that processed meat & white bread, along with everything else I ate, contributed to my heart attack.

There are probably too many local joints/party shoppes that make a damn good sub to list. I'll probably get roasted for this, but I like me a DiBellas sub. The Godfather is probably their best but I've yet to be disappointed when ordering from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Alcamo's, Dearborn. Get you one.
    I will second that!

Also ERNIE'S!!! Maybe not "subs," but about as good a sandwich as you will find.

For chains, Jersey Mike's is hard to beat.

Gonella's! 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Bommarito's, Terry Sub's in Clinton Township
    Bommarito's are excellent. I was going to Terry's in the 70's when Terry owned it. He used fabulous buns that he bought from across the street. What was that bakery? Bommarito's uses great buns too, and fresh ingredients.. Great suggestions, Maof.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncledave54 View Post
    The subs sold at Kresge were the best. When Kresge became K-Mart something was lost.
    Never had 'em at Kresge [[although I was there). Years later I had them at Kmart and enjoyed them. Always inexpensive. The Kresge days were great!

Quote Originally Posted by lester wild View Post
    Bommarito's are excellent. I was going to Terry's in the 70's when Terry owned it. He used fabulous buns that he bought from across the street. What was that bakery? Bommarito's uses great buns too, and fresh ingredients.. Great suggestions, Maof.
    I didn't know of the bakery across from Terry's. I do know it's not the same owner from the 70's. I believe it was sold at least 10 years ago keeping the name. Still good though.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Gonella's! 'Nuff said.
    Second that.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I used to enjoy subs until I learned all that processed meat & white bread, along with everything else I ate, contributed to my heart attack.
    Sorry to here about your heart attack, but "everything in moderation". Plus lots of sub shops serve sandwiches on wheat bread, pita, or even lettuce leaves in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Gonella's! 'Nuff said.
    Yessir! Tubby's was ok, Buscemi's was good, but Gonella's put them all to shame. We have a similar situation here in West Hollywood, FL with a local yokel sub shop putting a beatdown on the chains. Nothing finer!

Alban's Bottle & Basket in Birmingham, Woodward at Maple. Closed years ago. Was a great deli restaurant.

Papa's Subs. Central at Michigan southwest corner. Gone since the 90s.

I still think Hygrades makes the best reuben this side of Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I still think Hygrades makes the best reuben this side of Chicago.

Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Ventimiglia's Italian on a hard roll with peppers. On Dodge Park and 15 Mile, used to be on 8 Mile near Redmond, I think.
    For a newish chain, Which 'Wich is very good.

Absolutely. This place makes excellent subs and also has a solid selection of pasta and pre-made items. I think they opened up a restaurant next door, but it has gotten mixed reviews.

I liked the [[really and entertainingly messy and tasty) subs at Pizza Bob's
    on State Street in Ann Arbor when I was in school there back
    in the day. Pizza Bob's is still there, still sells subs. I haven't
    been there in years.

When it comes to independent places, Bomaritos is my favorite. As for a chain sub, it's Tubbys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast