Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Yes
    Why just for murdering women and children? I’d have supported killing George Zimmerman for the murder he committed. Somehow I think you wouldn’t have...
    Give me a break will you? Would you like a list of those murdered that I'd support the death penalty for? It's a generalized statement. Take it for what it is.

12 million dollar settlement in favor of the Grimes family in that taser death. That Trooper was an out of control jack ass.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    12 million dollar settlement in favor of the Grimes family in that taser death. That Trooper was an out of control jack ass.
    Pretty sure that they will appeal, and the amount will be less, but we all knew that family was getting paid, for that racist cop's actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Pretty sure that they will appeal, and the amount will be less, but we all knew that family was getting paid, for that racist cop's actions.
    Of course this family deserves every penny for raising such a fine upstanding young man. I’m sure they will spend it wisely.

^^^ It doesn't really matter who they are or what they do with the money. The officer presented the litigation option due to poor judgement shooting a taser from a moving car towards a person, also in motion.

The money is but a tangible asset in a situation where the loved ones life is taken. The misuse of the taser was not the appropriate response.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-28-19 at 11:37 AM.

Or at minimal, foolish "cop's actions"...

Like they say,consequences for actions,sometimes they apply other times not so much.

Seems it’s an agreed on settlement by all parties, approved by a federal judge.

Yes, this was a settlement. There is nothing to appeal.

The whole situation is wrong. The Trooper used poor judgement and paid for it. But let's not lose sight of the fact that the kid committed more than one criminal offense. The family should not be profiting from that. At MOST, any claim should have been based on a real life formula estimating his future lifetime earnings.

Why just for murdering women and children? I’d have supported killing OJ Simpson for the 2 murder’s he committed. Somehow I think you wouldn’t have...

Oh! What about former cases where payment was not so abridged?

We may not like it, but what family wants to be first on the check-off list for the real life 'earnings' formula criteria?

How's about your family member? Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ...any claim should have been based on a real life formula estimating his future lifetime earnings.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-29-19 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Yes, this was a settlement. There is nothing to appeal.
    They had a damn good lawyer. Not saying they don't deserve it, but you usually don't see wrongful death settlements, that high.

The whole situation is wrong. The Trooper used poor judgement and paid for it. But let's not lose sight of the fact that the kid committed more than one criminal offense. The family should not be profiting from that. At MOST, any claim should have been based on a real life formula estimating his future lifetime earnings.
    And that wasn't that MSP cop's first rodeo either. He was reprimanded once before for his aggression, and other nefarious BS he pulled while on duty. So his shenanigans caught up with him. The kid was wrong for riding that ATV, but he shouldn't have lost his life because of it.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-28-19 at 06:58 PM.

^^^ Yep. Thank you for bringing out those most crucial distinctions.

The cheap came out VERY expensive by the MSP keeping this officer on duty.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-28-19 at 08:52 PM.

What’s worse, the kid riding that ATV illegally or that idiot in the Camaro doing donuts on I-94?

Only a idiot would defend this kind of criminal police behavior.

Troopers are highly paid, have excellent benefits with a sweet retirement. As taxpayers we have to demand job performance that matches compensation. What happened here was garbage police work that killed a kid with no justification and it was a expensive waste of our money.

Also worth mentioning is that the MSP response to this incident was to pull out of Detroit and not do their job anymore. Who else gets to make that call and still get paid? Unbelievable.

If nobody at MSP can figure out how to catch a kid on a ATV and impound the vehicle short of shooting them off of it than many more of them need to be fired. It’s not exactly a Sherlock Holmes scenario. Use brains and the plethora of expensive shiny new tools that we buy for the MSP to outsmart kids. Impound enough and the problem abates, it is a effective deterrent that’s used everywhere.

Here's hoping I run into neither when I'm out driving..........

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    What’s worse, the kid riding that ATV illegally or that idiot in the Camaro doing donuts on I-94?
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-28-19 at 07:46 PM.

Righto!! Can you say that again?! Didn't quite get that!

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    ...If nobody at MSP can figure out how to catch a kid on a ATV and impound the vehicle short of shooting them off of it than many more of them need to be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Only a idiot would defend this kind of criminal police behavior.

Troopers are highly paid, have excellent benefits with a sweet retirement. As taxpayers we have to demand job performance that matches compensation. What happened here was garbage police work that killed a kid with no justification and it was a expensive waste of our money.

Also worth mentioning is that the MSP response to this incident was to pull out of Detroit and not do their job anymore. Who else gets to make that call and still get paid? Unbelievable.

If nobody at MSP can figure out how to catch a kid on a ATV and impound the vehicle short of shooting them off of it than many more of them need to be fired. It’s not exactly a Sherlock Holmes scenario. Use brains and the plethora of expensive shiny new tools that we buy for the MSP to outsmart kids. Impound enough and the problem abates, it is a effective deterrent that’s used everywhere.
    You classify 50 to 60k a year pay for a job that you do not know if you are going to live through from one day to the next highly paid?

Here is your chance to make lemonade out of lemons,show those idiots at the MSP and every other police agency how to stop the idiots in 4 wheelers by asking them to please pull over.

So why do they run the 4 wheelers on the street when they know full well it is illegal and they are putting other lives at stake?

Maybe for the adrenaline rush of knowing you will get away with it by out running the police?

The whole 4 wheeler on the roads and freeways is out of control and the public demands the police to stop the lawlessness but offer no solutions on how to do it outside of,do what you need to do and we will judge you after the fact.

The question was,what if it was one of your family members?

If my parents were still alive they would say,if you put yourself in situations,you need to be able to except the consequences of your actions.

You cannot maneuver those things at speed on pavement,what if a child had run out in front of him and that child was killed,then the call would be against the police for allowing it to happen,they should have stopped it.

They say the average person makes 1 million in thier lifetime,11 million settled.

My younger brother was killed on a 4 wheeler doing stupid shit,left the pavement and hit a tree,we could have sued everybody including the person that planted the tree,he did stupid stuff and it cost him his life,he alone made that decision.

The road,the tree,the 4 wheeler and anybody else after he made that decision is irrelevant.

To make 11 million off a family members bad decision is really not the way to go,it is rewarding and applauding and encouraging bad decisions.

I still think every person in law enforcement should really take two weeks off,everybody at the same time and hold a conference on some sunny island in order to discuss consequences for thier actions.

Netflixs has a pretty cool mini series on the Flint PD and what they do everyday and what they deal with.

I wonder how many here would last spending 8 hours a day 5 days a week in Detroit’s 9th district,all I can say is they really have to love thier job in order to keep that really thin line between the good and bad.

In 2019,50 weeks 28 officers were shot and killed,I wonder how many of thier family members received a 12 million payout from the shooters,I think the families of slain officers should be allowed to sue every related family member of the shooter because it is the reverse of what happened here.

As long as we are holding those responsible for the consequences of thier actions we should do it across the board.

I guess it could be argued that the started the day out knowing full well where it could lead to.
    Last edited by Richard; December-28-19 at 09:30 PM.

Something that really ticks me off about this is that the only one that really wins with this resolution is that scumbag Geoffrey Fieger. This kid is still dead, his parent's now have money [[but not their son), the officer is in prison, Detroit's without as much assistance from the MSP and we're all paying millions for it! All the while Fieger's slithering back to Bloomfield Hills with that half crooked smirk and our tax dollars in his pocket. Nothing has changed for the better..
    Last edited by Johnnny5; December-29-19 at 10:43 AM.

^^^ I hear that. Attorneys [[especially the class action variety) are often considered scum -- until you need one!

The source cheese off for me is why the MSP allowed a rogue on their force?
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-30-19 at 11:59 AM.

It's not a profit. You lose a person and you get compensated for the life of that person.

^Yep. By way of monetizing [[the compensation) that's the system standing now.

And there are problems, for certain. But to say money is not or should not be the marker for outcomes like this begs the question:

What SHOULD BE?
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-29-19 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Of course this family deserves every penny for raising such a fine upstanding young man. I’m sure they will spend it wisely.
    Your f_cked up sarcasm aside, if it was sarcasm, maybe not. This was on the cop, not the kid. I see why this country, is so screwed up....
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-30-19 at 11:52 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast