Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

And another ATV idiot gets killed tonight 5/23/2019

ATV rider flung from his vehicle at high speed along Grand River. @Local4News

Stop the off road vehicles, clamp down, cease this nonsense in a city.

Detroit creates a Task Force

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic..._on_atv_riding
    Last edited by O3H; May-22-19 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post

"And another ATV idiot gets killed tonight 5/23/2019"

That means he's not getting killed until late this evening. Plenty of time to warn the guy. [[I think I saw an episode like this on the Twilight Zone once)

"Police are urging people to use ATVs in public spaces and not on city streets," WXYZ reports.
    Consider us confused."

Yeah, me too. How about they ride around Campus Martians or Millennial Beach on Atwater? Plenty of green space there and some nice hills to boot. Maybe Penske could hold an event on his racetrack?

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...it-s-west-side

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/detroit-police-chief-if-you-taunt-department-with-an-atv-we-re-coming-after-you-

Take a look at the guy with the long hair in the beginning of the video taunting the police cruiser. Just asking for trouble. All of this reminds me of the young family that was surrounded by a group of motorcyclist, I believe in California several years ago.
    Last edited by Maof; May-23-19 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...it-s-west-side

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/detroit-police-chief-if-you-taunt-department-with-an-atv-we-re-coming-after-you-

Take a look at the guy with the long hair in the beginning of the video taunting the police cruiser. Just asking for trouble. All of this reminds me of the young family that was surrounded by a group of motorcyclist, I believe in California several years ago.

C'mon Maof, it's just kids having fun. The cops probably had some tourists they needed to walk across the street to one of the coliseums

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Right, shoot'em up, bust'em up, beat'em up. The Donny-ites love the Russian ways.

'Course, there was the Big Four, the Cruisers, STRESS and all that. How'd that work out?
    and how is it working out now?

When people know there will be no repercussions for actions they will push the limits,I am sure LEO is all ears for solutions outside of asking somebody to please stop.

Look at it from the law enforcement side,weather you support them or not,you want results delivered by nuns,outside of them getting mugged in the process,any ideas for solutions?

You are dealing with some people that have a total disregard for anybody else’s rights to enjoy life and providing protection to them over the ones just trying to live in a safe surrounding.

If you are standing in a bank in the middle of a armed robbery are you expecting the police to come save you with squirt guns,or expecting them to use what ever tools they have at thier disposal in order to save your life?
    Last edited by Richard; May-23-19 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    and how is it working out now?
    Not all that bad really, in comparison:

Year Murders
    1985 635
    1986 648
    1987 686
    1988 629
    1989 624

2010 310
    2011 344
    2012 386
    2013 316
    2014 298
    2015 295
    2016 303
    2017 267
    2018 261

Year Murders
    1985 635
    1986 648
    1987 686
    1988 629
    1989 624

2010 310
    2011 344
    2012 386
    2013 316
    2014 298
    2015 295
    2016 303
    2017 267
    2018 261
    Logic: 1/3 the people; 1/3 the homicides.

And maybe a 1/3 of the officers. Not sure where to find staffing comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Logic: 1/3 the people; 1/3 the homicides.
    You might want to check your math on that one. About 2/3rds of the 1990 population, with a little over 1/3 the murders.

Year Murders
    1985 635
    1986 648
    1987 686
    1988 629
    1989 624

2010 310
    2011 344
    2012 386
    2013 316
    2014 298
    2015 295
    2016 303
    2017 267
    2018 261
    In the 1985 to 1989 years at its peak,how many deaths were related to the drug epidemic that was occurring at the time?

I know during those years it was not uncommon to find five deaths per shoot em up,adds up pretty quick.

Between 1980-1990 City of Detroit had estimated 1,203,368

https://www.somacon.com/p469.php

In 2019 estimated 655,244

https://uspopulation2019.com/populat...roit-2019.html

That is what? 600,000 difference?

It is mostly about ratios,bring in another 600,000 residents and it will look pretty good when the good outnumber the bad.

But even at that LEO cannot even spank the bad guys and send them home without supper,without being brought up on charges
    and lawsuits.

The taxpayers pay them for protection,the simplest thing would be for the citizens to sit down and make a list on how to go about that that is acceptable.

Some have more compassion for those who wish to do harm to them then the ones doing the harm has for thier victim.

A guy with an appointment with sparky in Fl has had 20 years of delays because they did not want him to feel discomfort in the end,funny thing is he had little regard for the discomfort of the multiple women he brutally beat and murdered.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    A guy with an appointment with sparky in Fl has had 20 years of delays because they did not want him to feel discomfort in the end,funny thing is he had little regard for the discomfort of the multiple women he brutally beat and murdered.
    Government is supposed to be better than the bad guys, not stoop to their level. That Saudi eye for an eye stuff don't fly in civilized Governments.

I would be pretty cool with the whole concept of emptying the prisons and dealing with the whole mad max thing,it would certainly save a lot of money,of course who would need money,you could just take what you wanted by force with no repercussions.

Of course the other half of the population that could not defend themselves would no longer exist.

They say there is a section in ones brain that stops the average person from doing violence or actions that cause harm to others with no regard.

Maybe the answer is the police need to be doctors in the field of lobotomy,trade guns and tasers for scalpels.

When the person is holding a gun on you and demanding your possessions,they really are not there for an introduction to compassion or in the eye for an eye mood.It is simple for them,give up your possessions or get shot,it does not bring you down to their level if you pull a weapon and shoot them,they were well aware of the ramifications involved and made that decision.

Is that not what we are taught from a young age or should be,we are held accountable for our actions.

Jump off of a skyscraper and you have to figure going in,sooner or later you will hit the ground.

The whole point in being a bad guy is getting away with it,you are providing fertile ground for bad guys and enabling when the message is sent that there will be little repercussions for doing bad things.

It is simple for most,they just leave and then you have what you have a higher ratio of bad guys then good guys.
    Last edited by Richard; May-23-19 at 05:12 PM.

Beat me to it, I don't think there is an easy solution to this, despite the heated debate. It would take more of a cultural movement by the community to not accept this as opposed to police force.

Government is supposed to be better than the bad guys, not stoop to their level. That Saudi eye for an eye stuff don't fly in civilized Governments.
    And what would you have them do to a rabid animal who murders women and children? Would a slap on the wrist and some counseling do the trick? How about probation for a year or so. How about no punishment at all! I'm a civilized citizen and I'm all for the chair, firing squad, hanging or better yet, put them to death the same way they murdered the victim. That would be justice in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    And what would you have them do to a rabid animal who murders women and children? Would a slap on the wrist and some counseling do the trick? How about probation for a year or so. How about no punishment at all! I'm a civilized citizen and I'm all for the chair, firing squad, hanging or better yet, put them to death the same way they murdered the victim. That would be justice in my opinion.
    Yes sir, death to all renegade ATV riders. But why stop there? No funerals, leave the rotting, fly covered bodies out as a warning to other ATV riders. Leave em right downtown with a big sign that says "this is what happens to illegal ATV riders in Detroit"

This thread is so far off the rails

Death by firing squad is a totally appropriate punishment for illegally riding an ATV lol. Or maybe I should say appropriate for illegally riding an ATV while in Detroit and looking like a "Detroiter". I doubt you would consider it capital punishment worthy under different circumstances.

^^^
    I'm not talking about the ATV riders. I'm talking about the murderer in Florida who was finally executed for killing women.

Mandate registration and visible numbered licensing for all ATV's within the city limits. Allow a short grace period, then any unregistered ATV located within the city is automatically impounded and forfeited.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-24-19 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Mandate registration and visible numbered licensing for all ATV's within the city limits. Allow a short grace period, then any unregistered ATV located within the city is automatically impounded and forfeited.
    I would absolutely support this, and am surprised it is not already law. Every motorized passenger vehicle should be handled this way. I would support requiring a drivers license to operate the vehicles too, no different than mopeds, motorcycles, etc.. And not just in Detroit. It should be State law.
    Last edited by bust; May-24-19 at 02:50 PM.

Perhaps some have never been truly OFF the damn ROAD.

We have a State License - it's called an ORV

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,...4059--,00.html

Many, many people enjoy an ORV license, legally, think rock crawler Jeep

Yes
    Why just for murdering women and children? I’d have supported killing George Zimmerman for the murder he committed. Somehow I think you wouldn’t have...

I've had ORV stickers on multiple ATVs over the years, but it's been about 5 years since I sold my last one. A Michigan "ORV license" is not the same thing as registration [[Which is currently not required in this state) It's also not mandatory for ownership [[Only required for legal use on publicly owned areas) nor are they linked to a particular ATV [[At least they weren't when I had mine), nor do they have easily visible ID numbers. It's basically just a tax sticker to fund the DNR that you can buy by walking into any Walmart store.

Good call. Driving ATVs @ high speeds down public sidewalks certainly qualifies that as "OFF the damn ROAD".

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Yes
    Why just for murdering women and children? I’d have supported killing George Zimmerman for the murder he committed. Somehow I think you wouldn’t have...
    Zimmerman drove unlicensed, unregistered ATVs endangering people around him?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast