Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Old timey Detroit photo by Shorpy

Another nice turn of the century Detroit photo from Shorpy: Monroe Avenue looking west. Old City Hall in background.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The National Theater is the only building in that photo still standing: https://goo.gl/maps/ZCd7yUECMmzZvFG68

Are you sure? The National Theatre dates to 1910... and that photo may predate that. I don't see any twin Moorish towers on the left side of the street?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Another nice turn of the century Detroit photo from Shorpy: Monroe Avenue looking west. Old City Hall in background.
    Click the image on this page for an enlarged version.
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-11-19 at 10:17 PM.

The highest resolution view [[157.5 MB) is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collecti...em/2016816684/
    Shorpy manipulated the LOC scan to try to increase contrast in the light and dark areas, but this introduced digital noise, and the most detail overall is still in the LOC scan.

Anyway, this photo predates the National Theatre. Farmer Street intersects just beyond the "ROYALE" banner, and the National was built at 40 Monroe [[old numbering system), replacing the H.H. Stender Cigars-Tobacco-Pipes store, Moyer's Loan Office, and a jewelry/luggage store.

I'd bet that the photo was taken in late winter 1911. The Freep article about the National opening says that removal of the old buildings on the site started May 1 of that year, and in the photo the jewelry/luggage store has a sign stating "Removal Sale will move to 38 Monroe Ave about March 10."
    Last edited by Burnsie; May-11-19 at 01:47 PM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Are you sure? The National Theatre dates to 1910... and that photo may predate that. I don't see any twin Moorish towers on the left side of the street?
    Yeah, looks like I was maybe a couple years off. Some of the arches on those buildings look similar to the one on the National Theater, which is how I got confused. So the block further out is now a parking lot, and the only building left on the block where the National is soon to be built is the National itself.

https://goo.gl/maps/qUQkBYHTqX6DJsRJ8
    Last edited by iheartthed; May-11-19 at 02:24 PM.

The Ford Building is actually the only building in that photo still standing. You can see the top of it to the left of old city hall.

8. Default

Interesting is the cluster of pawn shops in the foreground advertising their presence with the tradition House of Lombard three hanging spheres.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 2.21.29 PM.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  112.4 KB

Here's a closer view of some of the people and signage. Such an active street scene.Name:  pic1.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  35.1 KB

Pawn shops, smokes, pool halls. People sure dressed nice to shop at some sleazy retail in those days.

Evening back then, Monroe Street had "Shooting, Continuous Show".

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Pawn shops, smokes, pool halls. People sure dressed nice to shop at some sleazy retail in those days.
    Hey, it wasn't all sleazy. There in the middle of the block was King's Store - King's Ladies Lunch Room of the John E. King of the John E. King Coffee Company.

Name:  JEK.JPG
Views: 632
Size:  151.5 KB

Name:  king1.JPG
Views: 658
Size:  184.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Ha. Sleazy retail or not, that was the source of income for many people. I wonder how many households that single block supported back then, versus what it supports now as a parking lot.

Here's a photo from 1913 from Wikipedia. The Nederlander Loan Office [[pawn shop?) halfway down the block belonged to David T. Nederlander, the founder of the Nederlander Organization. At the time of this photo, he had just leased the Detroit Opera House and started building his company.

Love the angle parking at the curb!

These are fantastic photos of yesteryear....

Perhaps somebody has a photo of the Hastings Street/Hendrie neighborhood circa 1925-1935.

My father was born in that neighborhood & I'm trying to get a feel for it.

Thanks

And a horse too. Yet still fairly 'walkable'......

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Love the angle parking at the curb!