Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Windmill Point, Grosse Pointe mystery house question

Hi!

Of all the classic beauties built on Windmill Pointe Drive, I have a question regarding two modern homes built next to each other.

15650 Windmill Pointe Dr
    Grosse Pointe Park.

Anyone have any information on them? Interior or exterior photos?

Google is your friend

Quote Originally Posted by pskorupskas View Post
    Hi!

Of all the classic beauties built on Windmill Pointe Drive, I have a question regarding two modern homes built next to each other.

15650 Windmill Pointe Dr
    Grosse Pointe Park.

15650 Windmill Pointe is hardly a modern home. It is 69 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    15650 Windmill Pointe is hardly a modern home. It is 69 years old.
    I do believe you're confusing modernism with age. Many modern masterpieces are likewise 70ish years old - Mies' Farnsworth House for example. Here in Detroit, his Lafayette Park is 63 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by gpp1004 View Post
    I do believe you're confusing modernism with age. Many modern masterpieces are likewise 70ish years old - Mies' Farnsworth House for example. Here in Detroit, his Lafayette Park is 63 years old.
    What you are saying may be correct if the original poster had used the words "mid century modern" and not "modern".

So, is anybody going to answer the question[[s)?

"Anyone have any information on them? Interior or exterior photos? "

No, I’m correct as stated. By all means, Sy. Do some research as to what modernism is.

As to the history of these two properties, hopefully p69rrh51 will chime in. He is the resident historical architecture expert. You can also reach out to Grosse pointe historical. Izzy is very helpful there.

No, I’m correct as stated. By all means, Sy. Do some research as to what modernism is.

As to the history of these two properties, hopefully p69rrh51 will chime in. He is the resident historical architecture expert. You can also reach out to Grosse pointe historical. Izzy is very helpful there.
    I'm sure he'll reply and @ least have some historical info for you.

You can also reach out to
    Wow, is it the 70s again and is this a Bell Telephone commercial?

'Reach out and punch someone'? Or it went something like that anyways. Where did this phrase come from again .... and why?

I am quite familiar with the definition of modernism, thank you very much. Had the original poster used the word "modernist" rather than "modern" you would be correct. By all means gpp1004, do some research into the definitions of the words "modern" and "modernist" and endeavor to understand the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    I am quite familiar with the definition of modernism, thank you very much. Had the original poster used the word "modernist" rather than "modern" you would be correct. By all means gpp1004, do some research into the definitions of the words "modern" and "modernist" and endeavor to understand the difference.
    See, now I would argue that modern architecture is any design that is rooted in the principles of modernism. One can build a modern home today [[well, if it was possible to build a home in a day). Likewise, one could also build a contemporary neoclassical home today that is decidedly un-modern. My point being - 69 years ago, both modern and classical design was happening. These two homes could very well be modern. They might not be. From what I can see from my lazy assessment on google maps, the one with the pool looks more moderny [[it's a technical term) than the one with the circle driveway. Given the context of the original post, with many styles on Windmill Pointe ranging from Hogwarts to Mini-Versailles, the two homes in question are at least more modern than the 'classical beauties' referenced.

Spent a lot of time in that house. On 3 levels, 1 to the left and 2 to the right. Has a basement as well under the main level to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Spent a lot of time in that house. On 3 levels, 1 to the left and 2 to the right. Has a basement as well under the main level to the left.
    Ooh we're getting somewhere with house info. What more do you have Charles?

Quote Originally Posted by pskorupskas View Post
    Hi!

15650 Windmill Pointe Dr
    Grosse Pointe Park.

There is a Facebook page called "Grosse Pointe Architecture" that you can join and the admin can answer questions about pretty much any place in the Pointes.

^^ Why not help people on THIS board instead of directing them offsite?

Because I, personally, don't know anything about those houses; how do you expect me to "help"him? And I am helping him by telling him of a place where he can find his info. If you know about those houses, why don't you tell him about it? Apparently nobody on here has a clue about them.
    Last edited by jcole; May-09-19 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Not a big deal. The time it took you to type this, you could have looked it up yourself.
    Last edited by Maof; May-10-19 at 06:34 AM.

15650 Windmill Pointe Drive is what is now referred to as Mid Century Modern. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the architect or builder of the house.
    15630 Windmill Pointe Drive is also a MCM house. The house was designed by Ray Bradley Storer and built in 1961.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Why not send people to a group that is dedicated to Grosse Pointe's Architecture? On the other hand all jcole was doing was sending people to a DYes member. Grosse Pointe Architecture is my Facebook group.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-11-19 at 02:55 PM.

I wasn't sure it was you who runs GPA, but I thought it might have been. Glad you saw this thread and answered about one of the houses. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Why not send people to a group that is dedicated to Grosse Pointe's Architecture? On the other hand all jcole was doing was sendiing people to a DYes member. Grosse Pointe Architecture is my Facebook group.

A clear question.

A nonsensical argument.

A call for reason.

more nonsense.

Pleas for sanity.

sniping.

Rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I wasn't sure it was you who runs GPA, but I thought it might have been. Glad you saw this thread and answered about one of the houses. Thanks
    You're welcome jcole!

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Why not send people to a group that is dedicated to Grosse Pointe's Architecture? On the other hand all jcole was doing was sending people to a DYes member. Grosse Pointe Architecture is my Facebook group.
    First, I had no idea GPA even existed or I would've suggested it. Second, when it comes to historical structures, uda man! As it turns out, you did have the right answer.

I'm late to this, and I'm sorry it's long, but I found some drama associated with 15650 Windmill Pointe Dr. The article is from the Grosse Pointe News' March 16, 1961 edition. It describes a court case between the owner of the house, Grosse Pointe Realtors, and property associations. It was important enough to be the lead story for the day. I'll quote the article directly:

Circumstances which led to the court suit began in 1956 when Maxwell informed the Grosse Pointe Property Owners' Association that he had received offers to purchase his home at 15650 Windmill Pointe Drive, which was two-thirds completed, from Negro families.

Maxwell indicated that he might accept such an offer because of personal financial difficulties. Maxwell said he needed $10,000 to retain the title of the house under construction.

Upon learning of Maxwell's difficulties, property owners in the Windmill Pointe area formed an association called Grosse Pointe Properties, Inc., which loaned Maxwell $40,000 to help him out of his difficulties. Maxwell has since repaid $15,000 of this amount.

In return for the aid offered by Properties Inc., Maxwell agreed that sale of the house would be approved by him and the association which had loaned him the money... Maxwell said that the house had cost him roughly $170,000 to build.

Maxwell wanted to break the agreement.

Paul Mason, acting as secretary of the Grosse Pointe Brokers Association, notified the local realtors by post card that Maxwell might be willing to entertain offers for [$70,000].

Maxwell then decided that the realtors were conspiring to lessen the value of his property and had defamed the house. He instigated the damage suit which contained two aspects, 1) charges against realtors for lessening the value of his house and 2) an attempt to break his agreement with Grosse Pointe Properties.

In the end, the Judge decided the property association couldn't tell Maxwell who to sell to; the loan was actually a mortgage which meant he owed interest; and the Realtors were cleared of defaming the house.

This was interesting to me as a snapshot of how things worked [[very openly) in GP back in the day. It would be interesting to see a 1960s GP resident visit the Pointes today.

pskorupskas, I've been in that house, if I get you right with the address. ANd what I saw - perfect modern interior style, and every single appliance they have is top-notch, like they even have touchless faucets [[like these: https://cozyhousetoday.com/best-touc...aucet-reviews/). So they made it like they gonna live in there. No doubt about it...
    Last edited by briann8; May-13-19 at 03:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast