16. Denver
    17. Boston
    18. Seattle
    19. San Francisco
    20. Chicago
    21. Sacramento
    22. Detroit

https://thelangstonco.com/cities-scorecard

Cleveland scores avg. at 100. What are all the things it has going on in that list of criteria that Detroit doesn't? This looks like another one of those rankings about as useful as a Forbes list.
    I'm sure Chicago is sayng, "maybe some day we could be an Orlando or even Cleveland."

Another day another bullshit click bait list made with dubious "statistics" and "surveys". How many times do we have to endure this spam? Nobody with half a brain gives a shit. Houston is probably the least desirable city for young people in the united states. I don't know a single soul who would live there before shooting themselves first.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Cleveland scores avg. at 100. What are all the things it has going on in that list of criteria that Detroit doesn't? This looks like another one of those rankings about as useful as a Forbes list.
    I'm sure Chicago is sayng, "maybe some day we could be an Orlando or even Cleveland."
    Here's the methodology:

"The US Cities Scorecard For Millennials goes beyond one dimensional "Best Cities" rankings and provides rich insights into how US cities rank along 40+ dimensions, from culture to career, climate to commute, taxes to transport, and salary to schools. We partnered with Centiment.co to survey nearly 3,000 millennials across 22 major metropolitan US cities."

Unlinke the lists that Forbes and other sites usually produce, they actually went out and asked real millennials to provide a satisfaction rating for each quality of life category [[career, taxes, transportation, etc.) and then combined the individual scores for each category to determine the average scores that formed the ranking of cities in the OP.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-02-19 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Here's the methodology:

"The US Cities Scorecard For Millennials goes beyond one dimensional "Best Cities" rankings and provides rich insights into how US cities rank along 40+ dimensions, from culture to career, climate to commute, taxes to transport, and salary to schools. We partnered with Centiment.co to survey nearly 3,000 millennials across 22 major metropolitan US cities."

Unlinke the lists that Forbes and other sites usually produce, they actually went out and asked real millennials to provide a satisfaction rating for each quality of life category [[career, taxes, transportation, etc.) and then combined the individual scores for each category to determine the average scores that formed the ranking of cities in the OP.
    So was it cities or metro areas? If it was metros that's a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    So was it cities or metro areas? If it was metros that's a little different.
    According to the detailed breakdown of the methodology, just cities.

https://thelangstonco.com/cities-scorecard-methodology

6 of the top 8 are totally undersireable to me. 1 other is a city I also suspect I wouldn't want to live in, but I haven't visited, so that opinion is less strong. Meanwhile all 14 at the bottom of the list hold at least a certain appeal, and several are among the top places where I'd want to live, starting at #9.

But I'm not a millennial, and my opinions don't count more than anyone else's.

Maybe it's still worth mentioning: every single neighborhood I have ever chosen to live in since leaving Detroit has skyrocketed in value and become destinations for millennials. Every single one. I don't claim any credit for that. But either that's a statistically highly improbable coincidence, or I know where to pick 'em. And Houston [[and Orlando) are pretty much the big US cities at the bottom of my list.

And sorry, unscientific survey, it's also quite a joke NY ranks near the top for commute. Sure, there are all kinds of transit options. But for most people getting to work is still a long, dreary, commute. I say that with decades of experience living there. Even so, NY is miles ahead of Atlanta, Austin, or Miami as a place where I'd choose to live. At least I don't need and never since leaving Detroit have owned a car.

Could be the survey included only NYC millennials with apartments in expensive neighborhoods paid for by their rich parents and extra time on their hands to respond to stupid surveys. Those things tend to go hand in hand. The typical New Yorker is way too busy, and jaded, and would not respond.
    Last edited by bust; May-02-19 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    ...Could be the survey included only NYC millennials with apartments in expensive neighborhoods paid for by their rich parents and extra time on their hands to respond...
    From the methodology page:

"The sample featured 2,915 responses from individuals aged 21-38. We used a series of techniques to remove data that appeared suspicious [[e.g., straight-lining behavior). We also compared behavioral and demographic data across cities to ensure that the sample accurately represented local populations"

I don’t pay attention to these ratings. People move to different places for different reasons.

For millennials, cities are preferred, but jobs are the biggest drivers. The real metric of popularity is how low is your rental vacancy rate, how many permits for multi-unit residential, how many new business licenses issued for bars and restaurants. It tells a more detailed story of how many people are moving in and where they are spending money. It’s better than waiting for a census every 10 years.

And what about Generation Zs? They're approaching their late 20s now.

Not surprised to see Chicago so low. It's a city with horrible traffic, very high taxes, high debt, high crime and crappy weather. But it does offer bars on just about every corner, if you're into that type of lifestyle. After living there for 20 years, well I've become bitter towards it, just being honest.

^ no different then Miami or Orlando Outside of the sun aspect.

Tampa they are buying $450,000 houses like candy where in Orlando and Miami they would not even be able to buy let alone speak the common non English language.

Does anyone really care? Never even heard of this company before.

I think the "best in" categories are actually more interesting than the "overall." You can more readily weigh what is more important to you.

And really, when you reflect on those categories: friendliness, access to nature, easy to meet people, salary potential, climate, diversity, amenities for children, it is very, very easy to see why Detroit ranks dead last.

I have to say, while I loved many aspects of living in Detroit it was not an easy place to live; in fact it was very stressful and sometimes downright distressing. I still love Detroit but would sooner move to one of those other cities than back.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I think the "best in" categories are actually more interesting than the "overall." You can more readily weigh what is more important to you.

And really, when you reflect on those categories: friendliness, access to nature, easy to meet people, salary potential, climate, diversity, amenities for children, it is very, very easy to see why Detroit ranks dead last.

I have to say, while I loved many aspects of living in Detroit it was not an easy place to live; in fact it was very stressful and sometimes downright distressing. I still love Detroit but would sooner move to one of those other cities than back.
    Exactly.

Once you actually spend a not-so insignificant amount of time outside the "SE Michigan" bubble [[whether for travel, for job relocation or attending school out of state), you really start to notice how much Detroit in lacking in basic quality of life categories such as the ones you listed.

Im surprised Pittsburgh isn’t even on the list, that city always seems to be a pretty successful resurging city lately. Also Cleveland, is extremely comparable to Detroit in many many respects, it’s kind of a surprising to see the discrepancy in ratings.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Does anyone really care? Never even heard of this company before.
    Exactly. The problem is that, in calling BS on click-bait creators, we inadvertently aid their efforts. To them, all attention is good attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Exactly. The problem is that, in calling BS on click-bait creators, we inadvertently aid their efforts. To them, all attention is good attention.
    But if they rated Detroit #2 or #3, I'm sure they would have been a great "start-up" company.

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    But if they rated Detroit #2 or #3, I'm sure they would have been a great "start-up" company.
    Not really, it's the same difference. They could care less. They get clicks off both ends. City officials who will brag about it and those who will be offended by it. It is why the listicle is a staple of internet traffic generation.

There were plenty of lists already, from reputable media sources, that shit on Detroit. We don't need to care about one from some obscure company that none of us have ever heard of before.

Detroit will remain last for hub spot for millennials because this city still got long way to go for cleaning up the ghettos left over since the Coleman Young and Kwame Kilpatrick Era. Detroit still needs to be regionalized through its tech jobs to social media and information hubs not by making cars.

Detroit needs better public school system, a police system that does its job according to protocol, city services that take care its hood to prevent its citizens from calling the news investigators to force them to clean up someone else's mess. We need a improved mass regional transit system instead of communities want to opt-out or in the D-DOT or SMART busses in their main roads.

The People on Detroit needs to stop being lazy and clean up their ghetto hoods. Fix up vacant buildings. tear down abandoned buildings and build up public subsidized housing for low income families.

Detroit right now is still majority black. About 60% of them have families with jobs and own their homes. about 40% of them are poor, some of them have homes, but no jobs and living on welfare checks,food stamps WIC and Social Security.

White folks are in Detroit hoods are still scattered. Others can't leave out either they are too old and don't have any more money to buy a home anywhere. Even through younger white folks are moving in Detroit. They are settling in anywhere in Downtown [[Gilberttown) Detroit to Midtown areas where there is gentrification and higher property values.

The Hispanics are still stuck in SW Detroit barrio hoods until they get the money they needed to move the burbs.

And that's that.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    There were plenty of lists already, from reputable media sources, that shit on Detroit. We don't need to care about one from some obscure company that none of us have ever heard of before.
    Look who the OP is. They stumbled on this random list and posted it here to push their agenda.

People need to stop bumping this thread.

Absolutely.

There's nothing wrong with reviewing and discussing an analysis of areas where Detroit falls short according to the regular people they surveyed who don't have an agenda, unless one would prefer to stay in an echo chamber of their own self-fulfilling prophecies.

In fact, it's how you learn to grow and improve.

How many of those 2,915 people scattered around the country who responded do you think even visited Detroit? How many millennials in Dallas, or wherever, even visited half the places on the list?

Yeah, Detroit can, should, and must learn from elsewhere. That's an imperative. But this survey is bunk.

Speaking of echo chambers, since moving to Atlanta you've become its #1 rah rah machine.
    Last edited by bust; May-04-19 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    Look who the OP is. They stumbled on this random list and posted it here to push their agenda.

People need to stop bumping this thread.
    I would like the OP to actually discuss why he thought this is worth sharing. All he did was share a list of cities, and did not include any objective criteria to discuss. It's almost as if he wanted this to turn into an argument between so called "Detroit apologists" and "Detroit realists". And, that sounds a lot like trolling...

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    How many of those 2,915 people scattered around the country who responded do you think even visited Detroit? How many millennials in Dallas, or wherever, even visited half the places on the list?

Yeah, Detroit can, should, and must learn from elsewhere. That's an imperative. But this survey is bunk.
    If you read the methodology page, it states they survey the local population to score each city.

Despite whatever type of what you may feel about the survey, there's no grand conspiracy. The surveyor is extremely transparent about their scoring criteria as well as their sample size and the analysis it what it is.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast