Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What is the deal with city airport?

I know the mayor doesn't love it as an airport, and I know he probably can't close it because of FAA rules on federal grants the airport already received. Basically they would have to re-pay these previous grants before even thinking of closing the airport [[millions upon millions of dollars) so that won't happen.....Is Duggan being paid off by Delta or something? It seems like there are private crafts there who want to spend a few million to make upgrades but Duggan declined that too. I wish something could be figured out to where they could lengthen the runway a bit and bring in some regional company to fly out of there. Would be way better than driving to the middle of nowhere and going to Metro. I know there was some talk within the last year or so but haven't heard any updates.

Quote Originally Posted by boater4life View Post
    I wish something could be figured out to where they could lengthen the runway a bit and bring in some regional company to fly out of there.
    Lengthen it again?

Try another regional?

How many more of each would convince you they are losing propositions like each of the last times they were tried?

Really, this has been talked about multiple times here. Though others have their own ideas, mine is for a helicopter commuter service to Metro. Use retired Chinooks.

The place is a complete dump, I’m sure there’s no argument there. It also has a ton of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Really, this has been talked about multiple times here. Though others have their own ideas, mine is for a helicopter commuter service to Metro. Use retired Chinooks.

Terrific idea. Instead of Metro Cars picking you up, getting on 94 and being there in 20 minutes, get to CAYA, get on a chopper, get off the chopper, get to your terminal, then get on your flight. By the way, where's my luggage?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    By the way, where's my luggage?
    Da'Nang if I know.