Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default WSU Considering $25 Million Basketball Arena

Interesting note is they'd possibly partner with the Pistons and the Pistons would likely move their G League team from Grand Rapids to Detroit. Corner of Warren/Trumbull.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ex/3635963002/

I don't see anything in the article about seating capacity? You would want at least 4-5,000 seats for both WSU and any G League team. How do you do that for 25 million?
    Also, just like a junior A hockey team, teams that keep their G league affiliate in their own metro don't draw as well as those in separate cities where they can have their own fanbase, identity and marketing. It's a losing money convenience for the NBA team to be close and move players up and down the same day.
    Last edited by 401don; May-01-19 at 08:27 AM.

As someone who lives in Grand Rapids, the crowds are decent, especially on big nights that they have a giveaway or a big promotion. But regular games are just OK, in terms of attendance.

It's not the same draw as the Griffins [[biggest) or the Whitecaps [[still impressive, despite being a Low-A club). I would be not many would be upset in seeing the Drive leave, but it would have an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    As someone who lives in Grand Rapids, the crowds are decent, especially on big nights that they have a giveaway or a big promotion. But regular games are just OK, in terms of attendance.

It's not the same draw as the Griffins [[biggest) or the Whitecaps [[still impressive, despite being a Low-A club). I would be not many would be upset in seeing the Drive leave, but it would have an impact.
    I do find it interesting they are considering moving the D-league team to Detroit. The Pistons already have enough trouble drawing a decent crowd most nights for mediocre professional basketball. Is there really enough interest to warrant a second mediocre professional basketball team to watch?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I don't see anything in the article about seating capacity? You would want at least 4-5,000 seats for both WSU and any G League team. How do you do that for 25 million?
    This is a good question. I expect it is possible to build a 5000 seat arena for $25 million, but it would presumably have to have limited amenities, and that doesn't seem to be what people generally are building these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I do find it interesting they are considering moving the D-league team to Detroit. The Pistons already have enough trouble drawing a decent crowd most nights for mediocre professional basketball. Is there really enough interest to warrant a second mediocre professional basketball team to watch?
    It's a good point, and I would say no. However, interest in the D-league might improve in the future if the NBA lowers their age requirements to 18

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    This is a good question. I expect it is possible to build a 5000 seat arena for $25 million, but it would presumably have to have limited amenities, and that doesn't seem to be what people generally are building these days.
    It’s possible, but “fieldhouse” is a more appropriate label. It would likely have similar construction to those indoor tennis complexes or an airplane hangar. Basically a big pre-engineered barn with very little custom embellishments. Having a single rise deck and concessions beneath.

I think this is more about moving the Pistons G-League team [[or a new team) closer to the Pistons. It makes it easier for two-way players to move between teams and centralizes the staff, coaches and front office into one location. A 3,000 seat arena shouldn't be terribly hard to sell tickets too, especially at G-League prices.

Selfishly I would like any new WSU arena to include an ice-making plant. I want to see WSU make another run at division 1 hockey. The biggest issue the last time around was the lack of a quality facility. There would be no easier time to make the leap than when there is a new arena already going up on-campus. It can also create an additional revenue stream as renting out the ice has the potential to pay for itself in an area where there is very little competition.

The updated article confirms 3,000 seats. It's definitely just a gym and not an arena. Pretty mickey mouse for a G-League team or a school the size of WSU for that matter.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...am/3639957002/

I think 3K is the perfect amount. Probably on par with attendance for both WSU and the Drive. No need to build an arena that feels empty all the time [[like the Deltaplex did)

Update, it appears the Pistons might go for an expansion franchise and the Drive stay in Grand Rapids.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I think 3K is the perfect amount. Probably on par with attendance for both WSU and the Drive. No need to build an arena that feels empty all the time [[like the Deltaplex did)
    It definitely is lacking amenities for a G League team. Most are in 5-7000 seat actual arenas with better amenities. I just think 3,000 is such a small number WSU may regret not being able to hold larger events there. They could even build it so that it can expand by a couple of thousand bleacher seats when needed for not a lot of extra cost.

Wayne State OKs $25 million basketball arena, will lease to Pistons for NBA G League team

New arena to serve men's and women's teams in time for 2021-22 season
    70,000-square-foot design to include office space, visiting team locker rooms, concessions and more
    Partnership with Pistons includes NBA G League franchise participation, other basketball opportunities

Wayne State would construct the building on property it owns at Trumbull and Warren avenues, west of its existing sports facility. At 70,000 square feet, it would seat 3,000 and include office space and locker rooms for men's and women's teams, visiting team locker rooms, concessions and ancillary spaces.

The planned arena is to be paid for by $20 million in bonds and $5 million through philanthropic dollars and naming rights, according to board of governors officials who spoke during a public session Wednesday afternoon. The school expects yearly revenue of $2.8 million and operating costs of $1.4 million.

Very few games in the G league last year got above 3,000 people in attendance. I think I like the idea of building it smaller and trying to actually fill it. Plus keeping the cost down is important for WSU. I think the people that really stand to benefit are the businesses along Trumbull like the Woodbridge Pub. I'm excited to be able to see some of the Pistons young players.

... I guess we'll see what happens. I wonder how this will alter parking in the area.

Great news, another coliseum in mid-town! The article doesn't say where the funding for the new coliseum is coming from. I hope there are enough parking lots to accommodate them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Great news, another coliseum in mid-town! The article doesn't say where the funding for the new coliseum is coming from. I hope there are enough parking lots to accommodate them all.
    did you read the quote above?

The planned arena is to be paid for by $20 million in bonds and $5 million through philanthropic dollars and naming right
    it's also being built next to a large surface lot...and i'm sure additional parking will be built.

If WSU harbors any possible dream of someday competing in Division I for basketball, 3000 seats for a new basketball arena seems a little small.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I don't think you realize just how small 3,000 seats is. You don't need much parking.

I remember when the capacity was announced at the LCA [[I think 18,000) and everyone was up in arms about it being too small. They added an additional 3,000 seats and two years later both the Pistons and Wings have had such an embarrassing empty seat problem that they are changing the seat color to hide it.

3,000 is perfect for WSU and the G-League. Both of those draw about that much, if not less already. It's better to have some scarcity for tickets, as opposed to playing in front of an empty arena every night. The O-Rena for Oakland University [[Division I basketball) holds 4,000 and that feels like the perfect amount. The WSU arena looks nearly identical in design.

I was just commenting on how I have not heard anything about this project in a while when I was tipped on to this recent update.

The phrase references the fact that Wayne State’s new arena — on which ground is expected to be broken this month — will be located near the Pistons’ home at Little Caesars Arena and the Henry Ford Detroit Pistons Performance Center in New Center, opening the door to a variety of synergistic opportunities between the Pistons and Wayne State University.
    Link to Article

Wayne State University Mens Basketball is setting up. They want to join the BIG TEN!!!

Wayne State is DII. They'd more likely join the Horizon League with UDM and OU if they ever did decide to make the jump to DI.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Wayne State is DII. They'd more likely join the Horizon League with UDM and OU if they ever did decide to make the jump to DI.
    I have often wondered why WSU doesn't go Division 1 in basketball. Particularly after their failed experiment with Div. 1 hockey, which is a much costlier sport to mount.

Plenty of other urban and suburban schools have moved up to Division 1 basketball in recent years, most much smaller than WSU. I would think that Oakland's success would be a strong case for taking Wayne in a similar direction. If they put together a team played well, I can see them filling 3,000 seats [[or perhaps more) pretty easily. With a Div. 2 program [[or a D-League team) I just don't see that happening much.

I've thought that to some measure it may be out of deference to U of D's basketball program. But that program represents a much smaller school with less upside potential than WSU. And frankly that program has sunk to such a low level [[including getting put on probation this year for an avoidable technical violation) that it would really be no threat to WSU's potential success, and may actually be helped out by having a local competition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast