Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Big Rays Oil Change.

August 31, 2009 @ 3:35PM

This is by far the worst place to get any service done. Not only do they try to sell you services you don’t need but they are rude while doing so. Example: the manager whose name was given as “Sam” not only was very rude and full of high pressure sales pitches, removed my cooling cap while it was hot and under pressure. Needless to say he got burnt when the hot coolant exploded from its unnecessary removal. Stamped right on the cap it says: [[Do Not Remove While Hot).
    This manager named “Sam” had the gull to try and blame my so called lack of maintenance for his stupidity all the while attempting to sell me flushes, system cleaning and high mileage oil. All I wanted was an oil change.
    Now here’s the kicker to this story. They didn’t install a new oil filter.
    Arriving home an hour or so later I thought it would be a good idea to check, sure enough the old dirty filter was screwed onto the side of the engine block not even whipped clean. When I called by phone to ask about this, I was abruptly hung up on three times.
    Stay Away From: Big Rays Oil Change.

What location? See if they are licensed:
    http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7...303---,00.html

Then report them to the State of Michigan.

FlyByDon, thanks for the information. These are important posts to inform people of bad and dishonest businesses and their practices.

If you paid by credit card, dispute the charge. Just tell the credit card company you didn't get what you paid for, and you attempted to resolve it with the merchant. You should be able to do it on-line.

Definatly report them as any fraud on your vehicle is a serious, serious offense if proven. After I was hung up on I would definatly call a corporate office as I believe Big Ray's is a pretty big outfit [[that is the right thing to do). Honestly though, now that I think about it a little more I probably would have went back and raise all sorts of heck [[I am not recommending people do this though). That is just stupid on their part as it literally takes a minute to change the filter and do the job right not taking into account the other problems you stated.

Retroit Guest

Sounds like a case for Rob Wolchek's Hall of Shame.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/subindex/news/hall_of_shame

Where is this place located?

I googled "Big Ray's Detroit" and it appears that FlyByDon's complaint is nothing new within the "Big Ray's" chain.

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid...sults&resnum=1

I always take my Ford Escape [[and the Explorer, prior to that) back to my Ford dealer for oil changes. Might be a couple bucks more, but you're dealing with reliable techs.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I googled "Big Ray's Detroit" and it appears that FlyByDon's complaint is nothing new within the "Big Ray's" chain.

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid...sults&resnum=1
    What I do find interesting is none of the locations are in black neighborhoods.

People don't get their oli changed in the city. They just steal another car.

I avoid the bargain basement oil change places. I'll take the newer car to the Saturn Dealer and the old cars to Uncle Ed's. One time I took my truck to the oil change place by my house at 9 and Dequindre because I had a coupon. There was something funny about the oil, every time I got gas and checked the oil level it was 2 quarts low. The truck does use oil, but typical consumption is one quart every thousand miles. Not two quarts per 400 miles like that particular oil change yielded.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Leaf Rag View Post

When I lived in the city, I got my oil changed. Are you that dumb or just a very sacastic person?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

Do you think this is because Big Ray knows whom and whom not to screw over?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I always take my Ford Escape [[and the Explorer, prior to that) back to my Ford dealer for oil changes. Might be a couple bucks more, but you're dealing with reliable techs.
    I Agree, go back to the dealer, if you have the time. Otherwise, an independant that you trust is good for oil changes and brakes and run of the mill stuff like that.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Yes, what a relief it is to know that not all businesses with poor service are in black neighborhoods.

Speaking of oil change places. Do not go to All Star Auto Care, its on Eight Mile rd. across from Eastland. I took my car there, they overfilled the motor by a quart and a half. Told me i needed a bunch of work done to my car.
    My neighbor went there, and they didnt tighten the drainplug. Oil all over his driveway. Beware!!

This from a person that does not know how to spell OIL.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Leaf Rag View Post

I've also been a scamming target at Big Ray's oil. Their fifteen point inspection was actually a two point inspection, they tried the dirty trans dip stick scam on me, and cross threaded the oil pan plug, leaving me with fresh oil stains on my concrete drivway.
    Your complaints go nowhere. Never again !
    Last edited by Bigb23; September-04-09 at 01:11 PM.

lol at the 4-year old thread bump.

I guess someone is really bored today.