Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'm not sure if many here realize that most of the business that the Detroit Opera House does is actually NOT opera. They also put on ballet/dance performances, as well as holiday or Broadway shows.

One of the biggest money makers for the Detroit Opera House [[as well as other downtown theatres)... is weddings and business meetings.

The Detroit Opera House 7th floor Sky Deck entertainment space is ideal for views of downtown, as well as Comerica Park, and market that space.

http://michiganopera.org/sky-deck-de...house-wedding/

The Sky Deck is also open on baseball homegame days, with views into the ballpark. Drinks and food are available with a cover charge.
    Last edited by Gistok; May-24-19 at 04:12 AM.

Not a big fan of any of the concepts, please try again. Hopefully they will consider some public input. Modern with some state of the art technology without the "flair". Some Zara Hadid styles like in Miami are welcome, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrenite84 View Post
    Not a big fan of any of the concepts, please try again. Hopefully they will consider some public input. Modern with some state of the art technology without the "flair". Some Zara Hadid styles like in Miami are welcome, IMHO.
    None of the images are anything more than to show the bulk of the building[[s). No developer, let alone a design has been chosen yet.

As for public input... I could see the Detroit Opera House folks having some say in the design, since they are the ones leasing the land. But as for any public input... I don't think any building design downtown has had public input.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    crains article out today with some thoughts about what they envision the site to be... I do spy a vertical addition on opera house along grand circus park...

responses due June 10th

albert kahn assisted in rfp prep. perhaps this is a design for Dubai they just plopped in.
    That building is ugly! They are can do better than that.

Something like this would be nice:
    Google The Jockey Club Innovation Tower designed by Zaha Hadid
    Last edited by Warrenite84; May-25-19 at 09:00 PM.

The Detroit Opera House 700 space Parking Garage was built to complement the classic Corinthian columned Broadway Ave. side of the Detroit Opera House. I don't think that anything architecturally "edgy" will be built between the 2 classically inspired structures.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Op...!4d-83.0479027

http://www.historicdetroit.org/galle...-house-photos/
    Last edited by Gistok; May-25-19 at 10:05 PM.

The design looks great to me!!!

I think that something like The Pinnacle residential tower in Chicago would be cool for the Opera House parking lot. The base would tie in with the classicism of the Opera House and Opera House Garage, and the tower could me something more modern.

Since Michigan Opera Theatre is planning a long term lease [[and not a sale) of the property, I would imagine they would have a say in the design.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Maybe a 1000 foot tower on the site of the Madison Lenox Hotel site would be smart

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I think that something like The Pinnacle residential tower in Chicago would be cool for the Opera House parking lot. The base would tie in with the classicism of the Opera House and Opera House Garage, and the tower could me something more modern.

Since Michigan Opera Theatre is planning a long term lease [[and not a sale) of the property, I would imagine they would have a say in the design.
    No cheap po-mo kitsch knock-offs please, it would be offensive to the existing opera house. That tower in Chicago is tragically 2003. Detroit should look forwards not backwards to outdated trends. And who cares about a parking garage. It probably will be demolished and replaced eventually anyway. And not all modern architecture has to be glass and steel. For a great example of how the new can play nice with the old, through the use of shared materials see the Tate Modern extension in London by architects Herzog & de Meuron.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    No cheap po-mo kitsch knock-offs please, it would be offensive to the existing opera house. That tower in Chicago is tragically 2003. Detroit should look forwards not backwards to outdated trends. And who cares about a parking garage. It probably will be demolished and replaced eventually anyway. And not all modern architecture has to be glass and steel. For a great example of how the new can play nice with the old, through the use of shared materials see the Tate Modern extension in London by architects Herzog & de Meuron.
    The Tate extension has all the brutalistic charm of the Boulevard Building in New Center... except in brick... with random place windows. I wonder what Prince Charles thinks about it.

https://www.dezeen.com/2016/06/20/ta...im-stephenson/

Funny that you mention that 2003 Chicago building as looking dated. The same will eventually happen for the modern buildings with carport roofs or random placed windows.
    Last edited by Gistok; May-27-19 at 10:07 AM.

Ugh. I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I saw the Tate Modern. From your description, Gistok, I pictured something like the UofM administration building which now feels light and airy compared to that, that [[words fail me).. . Name:  University-of-Michigan-Administration-Building_exterior_4-79_20001-300x241.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  17.1 KB

Surprised to see the admin building was designed in 1964.

As an adjunct to this thread, let me ask those of you who spend any time actually parking in the Opera House garage whether you have suffered from the corrosive drippings that land on vehicles parked there? The dampness of that structure causes what appears as bird droppings or paint ball-like spots with tails of further runoff. This erosive cocktail is removable from auto glass, but I have had a hell-of-a-time trying to eliminate these blots from my car's hood and side panels.
    Last edited by Vitalis; June-05-19 at 12:34 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2