Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Scotch and sirloin

When I lived in Detroit, I took the Greenfield bus frequently to go shopping at Northland. I remember passing a bar/lounge/restaurant called Scotch and Sirloin located close to 8 Mile. I always thought it sounded grown-up and intriguing. Anyone remember anything about it?

If I recall, it was one of those place that was kinda pricy, like some of the high class joints downtown. besides I was 21 yet. Also, I think it was near Northwestern Hwy, Lodge Service Drive, 8 Mile Rd area, around the Playboy Club too

Hi Birwood. I was thinking that it was an upscale kind of a place. I didn’t know anyone that had gone there, but was always curious. I think you’re right about the location, seemed like it was near the junction of 8 mile & Northwestern. I just remember it was off Greenfield.

The building is still there, at least half of it the last time I looked. It was one story beige brick I think. I ate there several times, great food, don’t remember it being cheap but it wasn’t London Chop House expensive either.

It was right near Crystal House Motel and what is now American Jewlery and Loan. There’s a gas station and a car wash across the street on Greenfield.
    Last edited by softailrider; April-23-19 at 04:23 PM.

Softailrider: was it primarily a steakhouse? Was there music? I kind of remember the Crystal house motel, too.

Quote Originally Posted by 9936Sussex View Post
    Softailrider: was it primarily a steakhouse? Was there music? I kind of remember the Crystal house motel, too.
    I don’t think it was mostly a steakhouse, if I remember correctly that it had all kinds of entrees, seafood, steaks and chops and other kind of food.

There may have been somebody playing piano there or maybe some other kind of music but that’s a big maybe, I would say it’s been closed now for over 30 years, I don’t really remember the music part.

Scotch and Sirloin was the place to see and be seen for businessmen, salesmen and others that thouht of them selves as being upper crust people.

It was a higher end business lunch kind of place, back in the days of the 3 martini [[or 3 scotch) lunches and expense accounts. Like Uncledave says, it was particularly popular with salesmen and their clients or for wining and dining business contacts. Also a good spot for after work drinks and dinner, with a piano bar - back when there were such things. It was situated at what was then a very busy and reachable corner for those coming north from downtown, working in the then-growing Southfield office area, or coming from the industrial corridors of the west side, lower Oakland County, and along 8 Mile. My uncle, who was a salesman for a prominent auto parts supplier [[and scotch drinker), used to hang out there with clients, etc. a lot in the '60s and early '70s.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-24-19 at 12:13 AM.

Here is one previous thread that mentions "Bernie Katz, the piano wizard who presided over the keyboard at the Scotch and Sirloin for years," so they must have had music.

Here's another article on an owner, Arlyn Meyerson, who happened to be deaf.

Finally, this article remembers: Buddy’s Log Cabin Barbecue on the corner of 12th and Clairmount for luscious vittles … with Buddy and Mary’s three sons, Arlyn, Jerry and Aubrey, each serving boyhood apprenticeships … As young men, they decided to someday open their own eatery … It was called Scotch ’n Sirloin on 8 Mile, Detroit … and, later, both that and another restaurant named Trio on Northwestern Highway, Southfield, the two open at the same time

Thanks everyone for all the replies! This is why I love DetroitYes!

It looks like it was Scotch 'n Sirloin.

Name:  SNSAd1963.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  SNSAd1965.PNG
Views: 1098
Size:  245.2 KB

Name:  SNSAd1974.PNG
Views: 1086
Size:  221.1 KB

Here's a Sussex House ad from 74 as well just for fun. I love that they had Monday fashion shows!

Name:  SussexHouse.PNG
Views: 1042
Size:  91.0 KB

I wonder what kind of fashion show? Would a place like that do a lingerie fashion show?

Quote Originally Posted by 9936Sussex View Post
    I wonder what kind of fashion show? Would a place like that do a lingerie fashion show?
    I'm sure it was women in lingerie, but I can't help thinking of burly businessmen in checked suits walking down the runway.

That 3-martini life is long gone for all but a few. I can't imagine taking a 3 hour lunch, much less drinking. I'd probably get an appointment with HR.

In the 80s and 90s, yes. In the 70s, maybe not. There was a time when they showed dresses and other things traveling businessmen could buy for their wives, girlfriends or both and have them delivered. Thought was they were too busy to gift shop in stores.

There was a place on John R at Maple that did the lingerie lunch fashion shows; I don't think it was the guys could "buy" for their "wives". I applied for a job there when I was much younger and thinner but then I found out about the "fashion show" and backed out. It's where the Rib City restaurant most recently was