Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

^^ I'd close the streets accessing the Ill Itch Lots on game days for .... pothole repair or ... litter clean up or ... street sweeping or ....

The Tigers and Wings are family traditions that are bigger and older than the the Ilitch family’s ownership of the teams. They are using that fact to their advantage and crapping on Detroit.

The boycott should be targeted at the parking and the concessions not at attending a game. It’s not hard, park somewhere else and eat before and after. Enough people would get on board if the word was spread, it would cost them some real money. Some billboards on the freeways into downtown would get it started. As soon as the opposition is organized they will be getting a check.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Pretty lazy reporting by Finlay and others to jump on the bandwagon only after the HBO story:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/op...rs/3588793002/
    It's not reporting, it's a column. Reporting means article with facts and no opinions. Columns are just that, opinions, using facts to back it up. While I rarely agree with Finley's columns, this one hits the spot. And better late than never when it comes to putting Ilitch on blast.

Gotta love this Chris Ilitch video of 5 year....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14eOXshGXV8

If they wait long enough, they can use the next economic downturn to be the excuse of why they have done so little.

As for the Ilitch's owning over 100 parcels of land [[now parking) and some surviving buildings. But in the last 25 years I know of ZERO times that the Ilitch family has ever sold a single parcel of land or building for someone else to build upon or renovate.

He couldn't resist a swipe at Rashida Tlaib, though. He had to characterize her as "anti-development" rather than just say she's right. Snore. Wish he'd never have hitch-hiked up from Kentucky.

I love that no one is biting on Ilitch-owned parcels in the district. They never intended to develop them. They hired SmithGroup to brand the ‘neighborhoods’ and commissioned some pretty renderings to sell the ‘vision’. I’d rather have the Palace and no Ilitch in the CBD/Midtown. Also the Joe is still standing right?

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    I love that no one is biting on Ilitch-owned parcels in the district. They never intended to develop them
    Why would they do that?

I love that no one is biting on Ilitch-owned parcels in the district. They never intended to develop them. They hired SmithGroup to brand the ‘neighborhoods’ and commissioned some pretty renderings to sell the ‘vision’.
    I would love to hear from some developers who wanted to do a deal... but were ignored. Some development folks would have to have come forward. Would like to hear their stories on why they were rebuffed, for whatever reason.

I'm sure that even Gilbert is frustrated with the Ilitch's lack of developments.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I would love to hear from some developers who wanted to do a deal... but were ignored. Some development folks would have to have come forward. Would like to hear their stories on why they were rebuffed, for whatever reason.

I'm sure that even Gilbert is frustrated with the Ilitch's lack of developments.
    From what I've read, Olympia Development are control freaks. They claim to want partners to develop with, but want to maintain control of every decision. That's why they've lost the partners they started with and why no other potential partners have emerged.

The city and state need to exert as much government pressure on them as possible. Not sure what recourse they have to take any property back that Olympia owns, but they can start by allowing other developers to submit proposals for land owned by the stadium authority, most notably the lots in front of Comerica Park on Woodward. Olympia does not own those, and they should no longer have development rights after almost 20 years of inaction.

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    From what I've read, Olympia Development are control freaks. They claim to want partners to develop with, but want to maintain control of every decision. That's why they've lost the partners they started with and why no other potential partners have emerged.

The city and state need to exert as much government pressure on them as possible. Not sure what recourse they have to take any property back that Olympia owns, but they can start by allowing other developers to submit proposals for land owned by the stadium authority, most notably the lots in front of Comerica Park on Woodward. Olympia does not own those, and they should no longer have development rights after almost 20 years of inaction.
    interesting...i would consider those to be prime redevelopment opportunities in the CBD

interesting...i would consider those to be prime redevelopment opportunities in the CBD
    Exactly... The United Artists Building, and the empty Tuller block next door, and the Fine Arts Facade are especially prime locations... as well as those along Grand River opposite the redeveloped DTE Energy HQ area.

I had forgotten that the 2 blocks [[parking lots) opposite the Fox Building are county owned. I kinda doubt that the county can take them away from Ilitch Holdings, but if there was a way to do so... I am all for it, for other developers to put them back on the tax rolls by building on them.

Also, I think that the Temple Street area [[like Henry St. now is) should be turned into a historic district. And as I mentioned earlier... on street parking should be allowed on game days, and no street closings allowed.

Since the Mayor won't do anything... time for City Council to play hardball...

A 2nd article by Finley. Maybe he's finally getting the message. The quote from Duggan that "downtown can take care of itself" is discouraging. I know he wants to sound pro neighborhood but downtown is also a neighborhood and he's basically saying he no longer needs to pay any attention to what Ilitch is doing.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/op...ge/3638613002/

Ilitches back out of $1.5M deal to buy homeless shelter building in Detroit's Midtown

For more than one year, the nonprofit Neighborhood Service Organization, NSO, and Olympia Development of Michigan, the real estate arm of the Ilitch family's host of businesses, had a verbal agreement about the Tumaini Center at 3430 Third Street. The agreement was that Olympia Development would buy the building for $1.5 million. Both sides confirmed the potential deal in September 2017.
    ilitches charity on full display. seems like they're pouting due to bad press of late.
    Last edited by hybridy; May-09-19 at 07:32 AM.

Ilitches back out of $1.5M deal to buy homeless shelter building in Detroit's Midtown

ilitches charity on full display. seems like they're pouting due to bad press of late.
    Nothing says youre "misunderstood" quite like screwing over a homeless shelter that you had an agreement with. It further indicates their intentions for the area. You would think that if they were interested in developing those properties that they would try to help facilitate a move for the shelter. They just don't care.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Exactly... The United Artists Building, and the empty Tuller block next door, and the Fine Arts Facade are especially prime locations... as well as those along Grand River opposite the redeveloped DTE Energy HQ area.

I had forgotten that the 2 blocks [[parking lots) opposite the Fox Building are county owned. I kinda doubt that the county can take them away from Ilitch Holdings, but if there was a way to do so... I am all for it, for other developers to put them back on the tax rolls by building on them.

Also, I think that the Temple Street area [[like Henry St. now is) should be turned into a historic district. And as I mentioned earlier... on street parking should be allowed on game days, and no street closings allowed.

Since the Mayor won't do anything... time for City Council to play hardball...
    Great suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Nothing says youre "misunderstood" quite like screwing over a homeless shelter that you had an agreement with. It further indicates their intentions for the area. You would think that if they were interested in developing those properties that they would try to help facilitate a move for the shelter. They just don't care.
    Not defending the cartel by any means but the article leaves some questions. The shelter states they have no problem with the Ilitches and there are multiple offers to buy the building. Are these offers coming in at 1.5 million or more? Is there a developer with firm plans for the site after buying it?

At some point, we need to start blaming the city. The fact that they let Olympia open a new garage at Temple without also requiring the office/residental open with it... or that they put no teeth/penalties in the stipulation that the Eddystone open within a year of the arena is negligent at best.

HBO did a decent job. I'm really happy they noted the prior revenue agreement at Joe Louis. That the city isn't in on any revenue from LCA. If government and taxpayers are going to pay for half the arena then we're an investor and we get returns. That must be standard boilerplate language. The Ilitches would never have left for the suburbs with downtown rising. Call their bluff.

Also glad they noted nationally that these deals are always a poor investment for governments. Walsh had zero to say. His firm, fast speech was hot air blowing in the wind. First he says he's a facts guy, then he says you have to have faith. Please.

Plus the arena is just blah. They should have paid for it themselves, like any good group of billionaires with two highly valuable teams. Shocker of 2019 - Government is now working hard for the richest of our society. Just plain wrong.

Seeing Dave Bing in the signing ceremony too, he should have been noted in the doc.

Well, the Detroit News has finally decided to pull its head out of the sand.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...wn/2636965002/

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Well, the Detroit News has finally decided to pull its head out of the sand.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...wn/2636965002/
    And the freep:

[[By the way, not the 1st time Ilitch has given an interview to the Freep but refused the News. Wonder what's going on there?)

This quote should be on Ilitchs' gravestone:

"Where's everyone supposed to park?"

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...ts/3766528002/

In fact all 3 papers the same day:

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...-be-aggressive
    Last edited by 401don; May-23-19 at 07:30 AM.

I have been taking great pleasure in watching their organization scramble like a bunch of amateurs when finally facing criticism. Chris sounds like a dope and finally admitted that their plan all along was to have substantial amounts of parking in the area.

From the Detroit News:

"Ilitch companies are the city’s fourth largest employer in the city, with 7,686 workers, which is 1,325 more than General Motors employs in Detroit. Income tax collected from workers' paychecks is the city government's largest source of funds. The money helps pay for services such as police, fire department and fixing potholes."

This single paragraph probably most vividly paints the reality of why they are held to a different standard. How are you going to bite the hand that feeds you, and continue to be fed?

I love watching this family squirm

"The District Detroit is home to four major pro sports teams and many theaters," he said, including Ford Field and Comerica Park with LCA. "We have millions of guests traveling into this area each and every year in automobiles. We don't have mass transit in our city. ... Where's everybody supposed to park?"

He added that the City of Detroit required his family's Olympia Development to provide 3,000 parking spaces within 1,000 feet of the new arena. "So many of these surface lots that are north of I-75 were mandated," he said.
    did the city mandate 3,000 spaces be surface lots in a hellish moonscape?

what a SLUG
    Last edited by hybridy; May-23-19 at 08:44 AM.

did the city mandate 3,000 spaces be surface lots in a hellish moonscape?

what a SLUG
    The Greektown garage has 3,500 spaces. One garage west of the arena with ground floor retail would solve all the requirements - but alas, it costs money to build.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast