Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default HBO Doc on failed District Detroit

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ch/3537834002/

Maybe a little national shaming will help.

Damn, beat me to it. Looks interesting...

Channel 2, Channel 4, Channel 7, Detroit Free Press, and Detroit News all conveniently looked the other way for how long? Great journalism.

If the months of shaming on national TV over the human rights crisis that is Flint's Water didn't accomplish much, this "shaming" will do nothing to help.
    Last edited by 313WX; April-22-19 at 01:54 PM.

I'm guessing Rashida Tlaib was the only politician who agreed to appear. What a surprise.

I don't know how many people who were paying attention still think the Illitchs lived up to their promises here, but perhaps this will enlighten some of the people who weren't.

Also, does anyone else think "District Detroit" is a terrible name? I couldn't believe it when I first heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Also, does anyone else think "District Detroit" is a terrible name? I couldn't believe it when I first heard it.
    Along with QLine, it is one of the worst "obvious marketing room brainstorming" names I've ever heard.

Interesting. I don't love the name "QLine", but I don't find it that bad. At least it sounds like a name someone would give a transit line. If they had called it "LineQ", I would agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Along with QLine, it is one of the worst "obvious marketing room brainstorming" names I've ever heard.
    As long as we can enjoy the many shops along the I-75 overpass it doesn't really matter.

I don't know how many people who were paying attention still think the Illitchs lived up to their promises here, but perhaps this will enlighten some of the people who weren't.

All of these New Detroit branding attempts are pretty terrible. How about "The T" for that Toledo-DTW-Detroit commuter line that they're studying?

Works for Boston.

Works for Boston.
    But that organically developed as shorthand for the subway, right? It isn't the official name of the system.

Look at the bright side,at least you are getting a free bridge that will pump billions into the local economy,that will make all of this seem like small potatoes.

You guys called it play by play here from the start exactly how it would end up,poor guy wanted to put a restaurant in an old firehouse and the community put a stop to it,but yet here we are,funding with taxpayer money something that you knew front the start was funny.

Where was Rasida Tlaib for the community at that time?
    Last edited by Richard; April-22-19 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    But that organically developed as shorthand for the subway, right? It isn't the official name of the system.
    Yes. I think a lot of these naming problems come from trying to force a nickname on things, instead of just giving it an appropriate name and letting the nickname evolve.

Yes. I think a lot of these naming problems come from trying to force a nickname on things, instead of just giving it an appropriate name and letting the nickname evolve.
    Yes, agreed.

Did they come up with the name District Detroit because they were going to make that big statue? What happened to that?

Down in FoxTown work has started on one of the Ilitch's properties, the Women's City Club building. Doesn't do anything for District Detroit though.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke09 View Post
    Down in FoxTown work has started on one of the Ilitch's properties, the Women's City Club building. Doesn't do anything for District Detroit though.
    They will claim that's part of the District though.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    They will claim that's part of the District though.
    Probably correct. If all was right in this world, somehow they would be forced to build a cap over 1-75 to better connect DT to Midtown and call it Greenbridge Park, or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ch/3537834002/

Maybe a little national shaming will help.
    Its hard to shame the Illitch family; they are the definition of shameless.

Great to see national coverage finally going after Olympia. It's very necessary after all of their broken promises. I'll be curious to see the sources they use and how they portray it.

Blame Chris Illitch! Not a venture capitalist. Dan Gilbert could redevelop the District Detroit Project better.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm guessing Rashida Tlaib was the only politician who agreed to appear. What a surprise.

Tlaib would make a great President of The United States than Grumpy Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Its hard to shame the Illitch family; they are the definition of shameless.

They are getting much worse than Dennis Kellifinos.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    Great to see national coverage finally going after Olympia. It's very necessary after all of their broken promises. I'll be curious to see the sources they use and how they portray it.
    I wouldn't expect to see too much more than what's in the clip. I shouldn't have called this a doc in the thread title. It's a segment in the Real Sports magazine show so I doubt they dig too deep.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast