Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I wouldn't expect to see too much more than what's in the clip. I shouldn't have called this a doc in the thread title. It's a segment in the Real Sports magazine show so I doubt they dig too deep.
    Agreed. There is probably a lot of "Dirty Little Secrets" that won't be brought up.

more redevelopment projects need to take place- housing, retail, actual neighborhoods.

I wouldn't expect to see too much more than what's in the clip. I shouldn't have called this a doc in the thread title. It's a segment in the Real Sports magazine show so I doubt they dig too deep.
    It will be interesting to see whether the segment is just another example of out-of-town drive-by journalism that completely screws up the facts and the issues, or whether they actually get the reporting correct. Mr. Grunow, the gentleman being interviewed in the trailer understands the the issues and can articulate the promises broken. But did ESPN ask the right questions of him and Rep. Tlaib? Did editing omit important stuff? Hopefully the piece isn't just another criticism of stadium subsidies and instead explores the shameful culpability of the Ilitch Organization and its bait and switch.

This is what I see happening on HBO video; nothing but drive by journalism [[nohting new this forum hasn't seen yet), plenty of references about stadiums and tax payer money [[but no details of where the tax money came from - DDA -, or what it actually be used for.) Over/Under 8 reference of Parking Lots and Garages.

Then later Olympia follows up with following damage control; Arena - which is only the bowl area, nothing else outside that area would be considered Arena - cost us $900 Million, we only had tax payer bonds for $450 Million. Anthything above and beyond was reponsibilty of Olympia.We paid $500 Million of our own money. Also, hasn't Ilitch already paid down the bonds?

Part of the agreement was to spend an addtional $180 Million in surrounding development. Then we developed the following items with NO Tax Payer Money for an addtional $XXX Million; Outbuildings AB&C, which brought in [[3) Three Restaurants, Shops-Team Stores, Heritage Hall, Olympia Offices and Google Office, [[3) Three Parking Garages, Henry Street work. Oh yeah, we also built the Wayne State School of Business, LCA Headquarters, Columbia Street Restaraunts and Streetscape, Started work on the Women's Club abd Detroit Life Building, etc.

It will be interesting if the Olympia even decides to reply.

Talked with an Olympia employee acquaintance... They have already moved to the new Little Caesar's HQ. She mentioned the upper floors do not have the pizza glass... something to do with the weight that causes them to crack... didn't get a specific enough answer from her [[she was hesitant to reply)... but the Columbia Street shops are being finished... [[I've not been downtown recently, so I can't confirm).

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    This is what I see happening on HBO video; nothing but drive by journalism [[nohting new this forum hasn't seen yet), plenty of references about stadiums and tax payer money [[but no details of where the tax money came from - DDA -, or what it actually be used for.) Over/Under 8 reference of Parking Lots and Garages.

Then later Olympia follows up with following damage control; Arena - which is only the bowl area, nothing else outside that area would be considered Arena - cost us $900 Million, we only had tax payer bonds for $450 Million. Anthything above and beyond was reponsibilty of Olympia.We paid $500 Million of our own money. Also, hasn't Ilitch already paid down the bonds?

Part of the agreement was to spend an addtional $180 Million in surrounding development. Then we developed the following items with NO Tax Payer Money for an addtional $XXX Million; Outbuildings AB&C, which brought in [[3) Three Restaurants, Shops-Team Stores, Heritage Hall, Olympia Offices and Google Office, [[3) Three Parking Garages, Henry Street work. Oh yeah, we also built the Wayne State School of Business, LCA Headquarters, Columbia Street Restaraunts and Streetscape, Started work on the Women's Club abd Detroit Life Building, etc.

It will be interesting if the Olympia even decides to reply.
    have to concur here. not really sure if ilitch org cares. status quo in District Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    It will be interesting to see whether the segment is just another example of out-of-town drive-by journalism that completely screws up the facts and the issues, or whether they actually get the reporting correct. Mr. Grunow, the gentleman being interviewed in the trailer understands the the issues and can articulate the promises broken. But did ESPN ask the right questions of him and Rep. Tlaib? Did editing omit important stuff? Hopefully the piece isn't just another criticism of stadium subsidies and instead explores the shameful culpability of the Ilitch Organization and its bait and switch.
    It's HBO not ESPN. Might be more in depth if it was an espn 30 for 30 doc.

Did anyone catch it?

Yes. It was pretty accurate but turning it into a race thing at the end was not necessary.

I felt that a majority of the segment was about DPS and how the schools are underfunded and can't get repairs. They reference $300 million in bonds, the DDA could not give money to schools legally, that money is for Downtown Devolepment. HBO was not clear on those facts. They site residents were on the hook. This money is collected from Downtown Businesses.

Also, I was very surprised about the race remarks at the end as well. Something to the extent of " The elephant in the room is Race...Arena was desgined to service White Suburban People/Hockey Fans, who don't send their kids to the DPS, which the Public Schools footing most of the bill for the arena"

And just like we thought here is the Olympia Devolpment Press Release

Our organization has six decades of dedication, commitment and positive impact throughout the broader Detroit community. We are exceptionally proud of our accomplishments, including the creation of thousands of jobs, the restoration of various historic buildings, and the development of a downtown sports and entertainment district which has surged since the opening of Little Caesars Arena. It is unfortunate when a media outlet emphasizes the voices of the critical few and not the voices of many who would present the positive story that is taking place across our City. The result was a self-interested, sensationalized and inaccurate report designed to attract viewers instead of a balanced report on the rebirth of Detroit and our contributions to City’s turn around.

Public funds for the arena came from specific tax dollars allocated to fund a catalyst development project that would drive economic growth in the City of Detroit. Our commitment to the City was to develop a $450 million arena, and, within 5 years, deliver $200 million in additional development directly or by others. The reality is that we exceeded our commitment and also know that this catalyzed numerous other development project in and around the arena, including a variety of residential. We invested over $863 million in a state-of-the art, award winning arena and are on track to have over $200 million in private development completed this year, roughly 5 years ahead of schedule.
    We remain undeterred in our commitment to the City and its bright future. We will continue to invest in successful projects that will drive job creation, economic growth, and enhance, for years to come, the quality of life for Detroiters.

And just like we thought here is the Olympia Devolpment Press Release

Our organization has six decades of dedication, commitment and positive impact throughout the broader Detroit community. We are exceptionally proud of our accomplishments, including the creation of thousands of jobs, the restoration of various historic buildings, and the development of a downtown sports and entertainment district which has surged since the opening of Little Caesars Arena. It is unfortunate when a media outlet emphasizes the voices of the critical few and not the voices of many who would present the positive story that is taking place across our City. The result was a self-interested, sensationalized and inaccurate report designed to attract viewers instead of a balanced report on the rebirth of Detroit and our contributions to City’s turn around.

Public funds for the arena came from specific tax dollars allocated to fund a catalyst development project that would drive economic growth in the City of Detroit. Our commitment to the City was to develop a $450 million arena, and, within 5 years, deliver $200 million in additional development directly or by others. The reality is that we exceeded our commitment and also know that this catalyzed numerous other development project in and around the arena, including a variety of residential. We invested over $863 million in a state-of-the art, award winning arena and are on track to have over $200 million in private development completed this year, roughly 5 years ahead of schedule.
    We remain undeterred in our commitment to the City and its bright future. We will continue to invest in successful projects that will drive job creation, economic growth, and enhance, for years to come, the quality of life for Detroiters.
    You had their BS almost word for word. Aside from the Fox, what are these "various historic buildings" they have renovated?

What is the $200 million in private development that they have developed, based on their press release?

Because all I've seen is parking lot after parking lot, LCA, LC HQ and WSU Mike Fraud School of Business.

Here's where nuance matters. Olympia has done a terrible job developing anything other than the arena, and we should be demanding more of them, considering the amount of surface lots they own that sit empty and ruin the density of the city. Rendering after rendering is announced and nothing ever happens.

However 313rdis right. The arena wasn't built by taking books and pencils away from school kids; that DDA capture has a very specific use.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    What is the $200 million in private development that they have developed, based on their press release?

Because all I've seen is parking lot after parking lot, LCA, LC HQ and WSU Mike Fraud School of Business.
    It's easy to get to 200 million. They can include the HQ, which they needed to build for their own space requirements, the Wayne State building, which was generous but also a Mike Ilitch legacy/tax write-off and all the parking garages can be included.

The HQ was reported to cost $150 million and the WSU School was reported at $50 million. Subtract the incentives and add the parking garage costs and you have $200 million.

They probably are adding $$$ for the renovation of the [[long time coming) Detroit Life Building, and the newly acquired Women's City Club Buildings on Park Ave. Now if they could just do something with the Eddystone and the Fine Arts facade on West Grand Circus Park.

Is anyone going to the hearing tomorrow?

I felt that a majority of the segment was about DPS and how the schools are underfunded and can't get repairs. They reference $300 million in bonds, the DDA could not give money to schools legally, that money is for Downtown Devolepment. HBO was not clear on those facts. They site residents were on the hook. This money is collected from Downtown Businesses.

Also, I was very surprised about the race remarks at the end as well. Something to the extent of " The elephant in the room is Race...Arena was desgined to service White Suburban People/Hockey Fans, who don't send their kids to the DPS, which the Public Schools footing most of the bill for the arena"
    The HBO segment was a bit more in depth than I expected. Surprised that they got Mr. Walsh to sit down for an interview. I would like to hear what he had to say without HBO's editing. Sense that he might have been struggling not to criticize the Ilitch Organization. HBO should have pushed him on that issue. His opinion about the Ilitch Org has a lot of credibility since he led the state legislation effort based on Ilitch promises to him.

Ultimately, though, the segment was a bit of a swing and miss. HBO's proper focus on the Ilitch Organization was diluted by its misrepresentation of the financing of the project. The segment decided not to get into the weeds of TIF financing and instead simply claimed that money was being taken from schools and a poor city to give to a sports team owner's arena. Of course, it's not that simple. The money being taken is tax revenues that would not otherwise exist but for arena investment. The problem with the arena is not its financing, it's with the Ilitch Organization blatantly lying to everybody about the ancillary development it would undertake.
    Last edited by swingline; April-25-19 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    The HBO segment was a bit more in depth than I expected. Surprised that they got Mr. Walsh to sit down for an interview. I would like to hear what he had to say without HBO's editing. Sense that he might have been struggling not to criticize the Ilitch Organization. HBO should have pushed him on that issue. His opinion about the Ilitch Org has a lot of credibility since he led the state legislation effort based on Ilitch promises to him.Ultimately, though, the segment was a bit of a swing and miss. HBO's proper focus on the Ilitch Organization was diluted by its misrepresentation of the financing of the project. The segment decided not to get into the weeds of TIF financing and instead simply claimed that money was being taken from schools and a poor city to give to a sports team owner's arena. Of course, it's not that simple. The money being taken is tax revenues that would not otherwise exist but for arena investment. The problem with the arena is not its financing, it's with the Ilitch Organization blatantly lying to everybody about the ancillary development it would undertake.
    I completely agree. The worst thing that can happen when you want to touch on issues is to distract yourself and lose your audience. The focus here should have been on the promises, the broken promises, the destruction of historic buildings, the vacant buildings, and the sea of parking. Those are things that people can actually grasp, but once you dive into the whole taking money from schools, I think you loose some people. I don't think its completely untrue to say that the stadium took some tax revenue from other good sources, but people, especially suburban Detroiters will see the schools and point to the fact that they have always been bad and this stadium has nothing to do with it, which is mostly true.

If they would have highlighted the other residential and commerical developments in the area and focused on the lack of that in "The District", I think they would have been more on track. Get Bedrock in there to say how much demand they have, get the contractors in there to say how hard the Ilitch family and Olympia is to work with, bring in Cass Corridor residents who have been kicked out of their homes in an attempt to tear down buildings.

I feel like that would have resonated better.The tax aspect is honestly too complicated for most people, including me, to fully grasp.

I'm guessing Rashida Tlaib was the only politician who agreed to appear. What a surprise.
    She's the only one who actually gives a shit it seems. The Ilitch family need to be run out of town they are horrible people.

Pretty lazy reporting by Finlay and others to jump on the bandwagon only after the HBO story:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/op...rs/3588793002/
    Last edited by 401don; April-28-19 at 11:31 AM.

Wasn't Finlay the idiot who said we should tear down the train station? What an attention-whoring hack.

The City Council should give the Ilitch's a wakeup call.... they should pass a resolution of no closure of on-street parking on game days. And no ticketing of cars with expired meters on those days.

Hit them in the parking pocketbook!

Default Even a broken clock is right twice a day -- Finley on "District Detroit"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast