Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Steve Yzerman Returning to Detroit as GM of Red Wings

That's the hot buzz of the moment as cited by Crain's.

"Is Steve Yzerman coming home?

"TSN reports the Detroit Red Wings will introduce the former NHL star Yzerman as their new general manager, while General Manager Ken Holland will stay on as senior vice president.

"The team announced this morning that it will hold a news conference at 3 p.m. today with team President and CEO Christopher Ilitch, Holland and Yzerman.

"Yzerman, 53, abruptly stepped down as general manager for the Tampa Bay Lightning before the start of this season, again sparking rumors of his return to Detroit."

According to news outlets, it looks like The Captain is coming home!

This is a very big deal beyond the nostalgia we all hold. Yzerman's teams in Tampa were solidly built with homegrown talent and financial responsibility. Sure they flamed out in the playoffs, but that is not indicative of his skill in building the team. His experience in Tampa will pay major dividends for the Detroit Red Wings.

Hope he decides to live Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Hope he decides to live Downtown
    His family still lives in the same suburban home they've had for years.

I wonder how Chris Ilitch approached Holland. I'm sure his 1st choice was to see the rebuild through as GM. He agreed to stay on as a VP so Chris must have enough of a relationship to sell it. If Holland stepped down or agreed to retire everyone would know it was a firing.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I wonder how Chris Ilitch approached Holland.
    Holland had to know that this was going to happen eventually.

This was set up two years ago. A big piece of the puzzle fell into place when Detroit's 25 year playoff streak ended after the 16-17 season. At that point there was no reason to continue to try to get in at all costs just to protect the streak. Acknowledging that a rebuild was in order meant that nobody's job would be safe and a rebuild was appropriate.

Holland has done a good job acquiring quality draft picks off of trades during this rebuild. Getting Joe Valino off the Thomas Tartar trade was a stroke of genius. Then the 2 year extension of Holland first and Blashill second protected any lame-duck situations that hurt in free agent negotiations. The writing was on the wall with the 2 year Holland extension that it was really a 1 year extension and Yzerman's job to have if he wanted it after his resignation in Tampa before this past season.

Ken Holland has spent most of his life with the Red Wings. He clearly cares about the organization and his legacy within it. He earned the right to leave on good terms. And if the reports about him orchestrating this move are correct, then he will have done a good job in passing off the rebuild to a trusted and qualified Yzerman.

A positive step in a great sports town that deserves more

The only news better would be if the Ilitches sold to Gilbert.

On second thought, it would be even better news for the Ilitches to sell the UA Theatre to Gilbert. But I hesitate to write that-- I do not intend to derail this thread!
    Last edited by bust; April-19-19 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    The only news better would be if the Ilitches sold to Gilbert.
    Not sure why people from Detroit keep making this dumb comment. It must be you don't follow sports. Take a good look at the Cavaliers won/loss record and draft history every year since Gilbert has owned the team that didn't include Lebron James on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Not sure why people from Detroit keep making this dumb comment. It must be you don't follow sports. Take a good look at the Cavaliers won/loss record and draft history every year since Gilbert has owned the team that didn't include Lebron James on the roster.
    Dumb comment? We have different values.

Of course I want my teams to win, but whether they do or not is not the determinant whether they deserve my support.

The fact that the Ilitches own the Red Wings and Tigers are major negatives for me. As it was when Tom Monaghan owned the Tigers, previously, if for different reasons.

The Red Wings are a business, and supporting them supports their owners. The Ilitches are not business owners I prefer to support.

I'm not totally gung-ho on Gilbert either, but he has been a hell of a lot better for Detroit.

I don't see Chuck Forbes buying a sports team soon, do you?
    Last edited by bust; April-19-19 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Dumb comment? We have different values.

Of course I want my teams to win, but whether they do or not is not the determinant whether they deserve my support.

The fact that the Ilitches own the Red Wings and Tigers are major negatives for me. As it was when Tom Monaghan owned the Tigers, previously, if for different reasons.

The Red Wings are a business, and supporting them supports their owners. The Ilitches are not business owners I prefer to support.

I'm not totally gung-ho on Gilbert either, but he has been a hell of a lot better for Detroit.
    Okay. Point taken. Like most people here I support Gilbert and his record of development over Ilitch x100. I wrongly assumed you thought the team would be better with Gilbert as the owner as others have stated regarding both the Tigers and Wings. Nobody can argue now that Ilitch doesn't have the right Wings mgement in place with both Holland and Yzerman.

I think this is awesome. He is a class act and hope he finds success here. Truly made it a "good" Friday!!!

This is good news for the region, the captain coming home. He did a solid job cutting his teeth as a GM in Tampa.

Why can’t we hope that he will have some pull with the Ilitch family? Maybe someone as close as he is to them will make a difference assuming he eventually points out that ‘District Blight’ and the broken promises is somewhat embarrassing when brought up now that he is in charge of the hockey team at the LCA.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; April-19-19 at 04:49 PM.

This Vegas Golden Knights fan truly hope this marks a march to the Stanley Cup Finals for both teams in 2020-2021. Whatcha' say?

A fantastic hire for the Red Wings. Not only is it bringing him back but he has an incredible hockey IQ. Just look at the teams he built in Tampa Bay over the course of his time there.

He knows how to make shrewd moves that's for the betterment of the club. Looking forward to seeing the changes he makes over the course of the next 2-3 years.

I knew it's going to happen. I can feel it from 10 years back. But the problem is How can a guy that been to the play-offs from 1990 to his retirement. Can't even manage Tampa Bay Lightning?

This better work Steve and Illitch, or you're been looking multi-million dollar loss and lawsuits and more trade of your best players galore and more media bashing. Unlike your incompleted LCA!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I knew it's going to happen. I can feel it from 10 years back. But the problem is How can a guy that been to the play-offs from 1990 to his retirement. Can't even manage Tampa Bay Lightning?

This better work Steve and Illitch, or you're been looking multi-million dollar loss and lawsuits and more trade of your best players galore and more media bashing. Unlike your incompleted LCA!
    I'm having a hard time understanding this one. Why would there be financial troubles or lawsuits if Yzerman as GM doesnt work out? The Red Wings are on solid financial footing, as they have been for decades. There is no reason to forcast a change.. I'm not sure at all what the lawsuit thing is in reference to.

As for Yzerman, he has been successful at everything he has done in the NHL. Let's not forget the awful payroll issues Tampa had when he arrived. Not only did he take care of business with the books, he turned them into a quality product on the ice as well.

Sure there is no guarantee that he will be successful here. But he is recognized as one of the best, if not THE best executive in the NHL right now. He understands the Red Wings better than any of us fans. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Just like the Tigers, the 1st 2 yrs. of the rebuild, which are the ugliest, are done. Yzerman will be taking over as the team's record improves as the old contracts expire, the young players gain more experience and the payroll has room to sign a couple of free agents. It's always tough in hockey though since most players resign with the current team and few unrestricted studs come available.

Yzerman did a nice job in Tampa and I’m sure he’ll do well here. What’s interesting to me is the game now is nowhere near what it was when he played. It’s become a basketball on ice hybrid orchestrated by former NBA guy Gary Bettman. How many times have we heard Mickey Redmond say “That’s not hockey” during games. The new rules are a joke. I still watch but not as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Yzerman did a nice job in Tampa and I’m sure he’ll do well here. What’s interesting to me is the game now is nowhere near what it was when he played. It’s become a basketball on ice hybrid orchestrated by former NBA guy Gary Bettman. How many times have we heard Mickey Redmond say “That’s not hockey” during games. The new rules are a joke. I still watch but not as much.

Which rule changes are you referring to? I’m not being argumentative, I’m generally curious, as I consider myself knowledgeable on all the rules and strategies of basketball and football, but not so much Hockey.

That is an interesting take. The game is much more open and athletic now than it was 10-15 years ago. That seems to be the draw for many. But to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    That is an interesting take. The game is much more open and athletic now than it was 10-15 years ago. That seems to be the draw for many. But to each their own.
    Its more open because you can’t finish your check anymore. You used to be deemed in possession of the puck until someone else gained possession so you could still be hit. Now as soon as you dump it in the defenseman has to step out of the way as the player speeds by, then bakes the defensemans partner into the seamless glass that doesn’t move. And they wonder why there are so many concussions. As far as being more athletic I’d say Yzerman, Gretzky, Lemieux et al were very athletic. Maybe more so as nobody had to get out of their way so they could skate by. They had to fight through checks or make deceptive moves which was a real skill.

The games now more north south as opposed to east west. Used to be more flow as forwards came back into defensive zone to break out as a unit. Now its defenseman firing the puck to the other blueline where his forward tips it into the attacking zone. They moved the blue lines out 4 feet which even Scotty Bowman said was a big mistake. Still a great game but I’ll take Yzermans playing days over now.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    And, because of the composite sticks and the puck moving faster the goalie equipment had to get bigger. A big part of the game now is getting bodies in front of the net so the goalie can’t see. But what’s a better goal, Guy Lafleur coming down the boards and unleashing a slap shot that beats the goalie who is not screened. Or a guy shooting with a bunch of teammates standing in front of the net that you can’t clear them out and the puck ricocheting off bodies and bouncing in past a goalie who can’t see.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    And, because of the composite sticks and the puck moving faster the goalie equipment had to get bigger. A big part of the game now is getting bodies in front of the net so the goalie can’t see. But what’s a better goal, Guy Lafleur coming down the boards and unleashing a slap shot that beats the goalie who is not screened. Or a guy shooting with a bunch of teammates standing in front of the net that you can’t clear them out and the puck ricocheting off bodies and bouncing in past a goalie who can’t see.
    I dont entirely disagree. But I would take blocked shots in front with a steady mix of Connor McDavid, Dylan Larkin, or Nikita Kucherov doing their thing as opposed to the left wing lock, neutral zone traps and dump/chase of the 90's that were the answer to the snapshot down the boards like you mention above.

While goalie equipment has gotten bigger, there has been recent rules restricting size. The game is always adjusting itself in a roller coaster from offense to defense and back. I wasnt around yet when goalie helmets became a regular thing, but dad was convinced that it was going to give them an unfair advantage and ruin the game!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast