Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The 'Detroit Lean' when driving?

So the 'Detroit Lean' was mentioned in a song's lyrics... was this a Motown thing? Exactly what was it?

I've seen it for thirty years, and laughed at first, but now know that it is a reckless driving style that endangers others around them.

And get off my lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    It's a driving style, apparently. [[I don't believe the story that it's about farting.)

TIL this phenomenon has a name.

You heard it first here, then! [[It's name, that is.) Before that you'd only seen it.

Detroit lean was a thing when I was a kid in the 60's. And it has to be pronounced DEtroit lean...

Yes, that's how Chrissy Hynde [[of 'The Pretenders') sings it. Deetroit.

Popular band in Britain, not so sure about in the US.

'Brass In Pocket' was the song.
    Last edited by night-timer; April-13-19 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    So the 'Detroit Lean' was mentioned in a song's lyrics... was this a Motown thing? Exactly what was it?
    In the lyrics, it isn't Detroit lean but Detroit leanin[[g) --

https://www.vulture.com/2012/12/what...in-pocket.html

This Simpsons clip graphically explains Detroit leanin --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload...ature=youtu.be

Back in the day I heard it referred to as Cadillac-ing. Anybody ever hear that?

Not sure why but kinda assumed it came from pimp-daddy culture with decked out hat-and-sunglasses pimp-daddy leaned over in his pink Caddy.

I'm guessing the replacement of front bench seats with bucket seats and consoles contributed to its disappearance.

The best way to “Cop a Lean” was-in a “Deuce and a Quarter”

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I've seen it for thirty years, and laughed at first, but now know that it is a reckless driving style that endangers others around them.

And get off my lawn!

It doesn't endanger anyone, are you serious? Now texting and talking on your phone, that embodies endangerment way more than "leaning"
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; April-13-19 at 10:45 AM.

Back in 1980, Deputy Chief Bannon told me to go to City Airport and have one of the aviation guys fly me around some areas he wanted photographed. Got in the Cessna with the PO pilot, took off. He was very casual and did the "Detroit Lean" while flying. I was very happy to get back on the ground. I think back then we called it the "John R Lean", tho I don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    The best way to “Cop a Lean” was-in a “Deuce and a Quarter”

Back then people were diggin' the scene with a gangster lean, uh-huh...

It was never a "thing". It was a "thang".

Rural Route mail carriers still do it out here in the country, though they don't know it. Sit in the middle, left hand on the wheel, left foot working the pedals, lean out the right window to do the mail bit.

Ain't nun'o them got fuzzy dice and furry pink dashpads though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    It doesn't endanger anyone, are you serious? Now texting and talking on your phone, that embodies endangerment way more than "leaning"
    Well, when it renders ALL three rear view mirrors ineffective ???

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    TIL
    The best site on reddit!

Yes! Along with the various other forms of distraction and impairment!

... Now texting and talking on your phone, that embodies endangerment way more than "leaning."
    Lately I've seen more cases of folks stopped at green lights with their head stuck up their Iphone, unaware the light had changed.

Today I was poised at a red light prepared to turn left after yielding to oncoming traffic. The light turned green and nothing happened. The lead oncoming car was unaware that the light had changed. But he awoke before anyone honked. Okay. But then the very next car was stuck in phoneland too, holding up the whole parade. I just turned left in front of him without incident. That's two "phonies" in a row!

You snooze, you lose!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Back then people were diggin' the scene with a gangster lean, uh-huh...
    Ode to the song...... 'diggin' for sho'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myCDlel_Ek8

I've said it before - Women visually attached to their cellphones for 45 minutes at a time running errands at the grocery store, and I'm sure the rest of the day too.

Okay, and some men too. Not that noticeable though.
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-13-19 at 09:51 PM.

Oh, they were very popular with a certain group of people in the 80's. Chrissy was a goddess. And she's from Ohio.
    Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Yes, that's how Chrissy Hynde [[of 'The Pretenders') sings it. Deetroit.

Popular band in Britain, not so sure about in the US.

'Brass In Pocket' was the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Back in 1980, Deputy Chief Bannon told me to go to City Airport and have one of the aviation guys fly me around some areas he wanted photographed. Got in the Cessna with the PO pilot, took off. He was very casual and did the "Detroit Lean" while flying. I was very happy to get back on the ground. I think back then we called it the "John R Lean", tho I don't know why.
    Oh, yes you do, Ray. John R and Brush back in "the day" were known to be the area to, ummm, meet ladies and often their gents were waiting for them while Deetroit leanin' in their cars.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast