Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I always heard it called the Livernois Lean.

That seems to be everywhere only now with the adjustable back of the seat so it almost lays down on the rear seat,somebody could be 6’4” and all you see is a forehead and eyes above the steering wheel.

^^ I've seen that too Richard. They are driving in a reclined position, crazy. For awhile there, I've seen others lean towards the drivers door while driving. Wonder what that lean is called?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Oh, they were very popular with a certain group of people in the 80's. Chrissy was a goddess. And she's from Ohio.
    Yes, but she formed The Pretenders in London. I think she was there to seduce or marry Ray Davies of The Kinks. I heard she succeeded. Her bandmates Peter Farndon and James Honeyman-Scott both died of drug-overdoses, which kind of killed them and the band. At least their classic early sound.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Yes, but she formed The Pretenders in London. I think she was there to seduce or marry Ray Davies of The Kinks. I heard she succeeded. Her bandmates Peter Farndon and James Honeyman-Scott both died of drug-overdoses, which kind of killed them and the band. At least their classic early sound.
    Thats kinky!

She was a rock writer and was in various bands before the Pretenders. She was involved with Ray later after she became famous. That wasn't the reason she moved to London.

Default Ganster Lean

So the 'Detroit Lean' was mentioned in a song's lyrics... was this a Motown thing? Exactly what was it?
    I always knew it as a gangster lean. As in William DeVaughn's 1974 song "Be Thankful for What You've Got":

"Diamond in the back, sunroof down, diggin' the scene with a gangster lean ... "

In this case the reference is very Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    IMHO, cars have never looked better than they did in that era. Much like skyscrapers have never looked better than those constructed in the 1920s and 30s.

It's a pity those types of cars all became considered oversized gas-guzzlers. [[I ride a bike because I can get a full tank for five bucks.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Thats kinky!

Hah, you really got me.

So the 'Detroit Lean' was mentioned in a song's lyrics... was this a Motown thing? Exactly what was it?
    As someone implied earlier with The Simpsons clip and William DeVaughn reference, it seems to be more of a black people thing in general.

With Detroit being over 80% black, I guess some by default associate the style with it versus other cities.
    Last edited by 313WX; April-22-19 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    ... With Detroit being over 80% black, I guess some by default associate the style with it versus other cities.
    And there's also the association of the automobile with Detroit. Which raises the question "Where might you see the 'Detroit lean' outside of an automobile?" That could get interesting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2