Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit lures major robotics show away from Chicago

The show returns to Detroit, having left in 1999.

Does this mean Detroit might build on its existing strength as a manufacturing hub, showcase this strength to the world and attract new investment?

At the very least, it means Detroit is seen as an adequate city to host conventions.

Now let's get the train to the airport running.

https://freep.com/story/money/business/john-gallagher/2019/04/10/automate-robot-convention-detroit-chicago/3374399002/

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Now let's get the train to the airport running.
    Now you're just talking crazy!

What does a train to an airport have to do with a convention at Cobo?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    What does a train to an airport have to do with a convention at Cobo?
    Having been involved in trying to lure convention to cities in a previous career, one of the common questions asked of a city on their bid application is something to the effect of: “Is there regular public transit between the airport and the city center or convention location?”

Cleveland, Chicago, St. Louis, and Minneapolis could all answer yes.

For Detroit, the question was does the bus count?, and does putting the bus as the transit option look worse on the bid than leaving it blank? Truthfully, there was no good answer and Detroit’s bid always lost points compared to peer cities because of it.

Anyway, glad this convention is coming back. And yes, not having transit between the airport and city center causes the region to miss out on a lot of convention business opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Having been involved in trying to lure convention to cities in a previous career, one of the common questions asked of a city on their bid application is something to the effect of: “Is there regular public transit between the airport and the city center or convention location?”

Cleveland, Chicago, St. Louis, and Minneapolis could all answer yes.

For Detroit, the question was does the bus count?, and does putting the bus as the transit option look worse on the bid than leaving it blank? Truthfully, there was no good answer and Detroit’s bid always lost points compared to peer cities because of it.
    I find it hilarious that any serious person would ask a question like "What does a train to an airport have to do with a convention at Cobo?"

But, I give you Kudos for biting your tongue and providing a very classy answer.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I find it hilarious that any serious person would ask a question like "What does a train to an airport have to do with a convention at Cobo?"
    I find it hilarious that he actually tried to answer the question, rather than admit the obvious - one has absolutely nothing to do with the other, but DYes is full of transit fanboys [[except for transit actually providing use serving the poor) so they'll use any crazy excuse for their boondoggles.

Yeah, Metro Detroit taxpayers need to spend megabillions for a commuter train to Metro Airport because it will make Detroit a huge convention city, never mind that such a train wouldn't go downtown, and the biggest convention cities on earth are Orlando and Vegas, cities with awful transit.

Also, it's quite apparent almost no one on DYes travels for work. When you go to a convention, you're either per diem or given reimbursements. In either case, you're gonna take Uber/Lyft these days, 99% of the time. It makes zero sense to use transit, even in a city with fantastic transit. It isn't like business travelers to Paris or NYC are typically riding the subway.
    Last edited by Bham1982; April-12-19 at 12:42 PM.

I find it hilarious that he actually tried to answer the question, rather than admit the obvious - one has absolutely nothing to do with the other, but DYes is full of transit fanboys [[except for transit actually providing use serving the poor) so they'll use any crazy excuse for their boondoggles.
    Guess what else DYes has....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Also, it's quite apparent almost no one on DYes travels for work. When you go to a convention, you're either per diem or given reimbursements. In either case, you're gonna take Uber/Lyft these days, 99% of the time. It makes zero sense to use transit, even in a city with fantastic transit. It isn't like business travelers to Paris or NYC are typically riding the subway.
    There's a difference between business travelers and convention travelers. I travel quite a lot for client work, which is typically the business travel with the most generous budget. I also travel for non-client business reasons, and that gets far more scrutiny than client travel.

Convention travel is usually the most scrutinized type of business travel. Plus, not all convention travel is done by for profit entities with deep budgets. A lot of it is attended by non-profit, academic, or media publications, which tend to be even more cost conscious.

And, yes, I have used public transit while on business travel, even though I always have the option of Uber or cabbing it. It really depends on what mode will get me to and from the airport the fastest. The last time I traveled to Detroit for work, it took me almost two hours to drive from downtown to the airport. That's how much time I would except to budget for a drive from Manhattan to JFK, or Manhattan Newark Airport, during rush hour.

but DYes is full of transit fanboys [[except for transit actually providing use serving the poor) so they'll use any crazy excuse for their boondoggles.
    As I know this comment is directed at me, my passion for public/mass transportation is not due to the fact I think it's sexy. It's because poor people deserve better than what they have now in order to make them not poor and this region deserves better than anything you're actually doing to make it better, which from what I can is doing nothing except spewing wrong shit on the daily with your posts. So fuck off.

Actually, he explained based on personal experience that convention planners take this into account and that Detroit has a poor answer. Which part of that are you disputing? Conventions don't actually ask, or Detroit actually has a good answer?

The O'Hare CTA station has the highest total passenger entries of any station on Chicago's blue line, with an increase of 400,000 YoY since 2014 and 900,000 YoY since 2009. I guess Uber must not operate in Chicago or something Either you're completely wrong, or business travelers consititute a vanishingly small segment of the market and there's huge demand for airport-downtown transit anyway.

https://www.transitchicago.com/asset...ip_2018-10.pdf

Don't bother arguing with the Bham troll. You're just bringing entertainment to his dull life.

Great news about the convention! I think they were really impressed with the hotel options that will be available in 2021 like Book Tower.
    Last edited by Worldsgreatest; April-12-19 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Junjie View Post
    The O'Hare CTA station has the highest total passenger entries of any station on Chicago's blue line, with an increase of 400,000 YoY since 2014 and 900,000 YoY since 2009. I guess Uber must not operate in Chicago or something Either you're completely wrong, or business travelers consititute a vanishingly small segment of the market and there's huge demand for airport-downtown transit anyway.

https://www.transitchicago.com/asset...ip_2018-10.pdf
    I always opt for the blue line to/from O'Hare over a cab if I'm commuting during rush hour. Cost factor aside, it's the fastest option during rush hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    Don't bother arguing with the Bham troll. You're just bringing entertainment to his dull life.

Great news about the convention! I think they were really impressed with the hotel options that will be available in 2021 like Book Tower.
    When the convention goers have free time from the convention , they’ll be able to see all the construction at a the bedrock sites downtown, chemical bank headquarters construction, as well as the renewal of Corktown around Ford and driverless car tech hub, and MIDTOWN with all its residential and commercial developments.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitRises View Post
    When the convention goers have free time from the convention , they’ll be able to see all the construction at a the bedrock sites downtown, chemical bank headquarters construction, as well as the renewal of Corktown around Ford and driverless car tech hub, and MIDTOWN with all its residential and commercial developments.
    Chemical Bank has already broken ground?

I don't think so... they have to remove the annex to the back of the Michigan Mutual Building... which consists of parking and office floors. That ought to be interesting how that is done....

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/19...detroit-mi-usa

They will have by 2021 when the convention occurs.

I don’t think transit will be an issue. It just needs to be easy to get there. McCormick Place has the benefit of ample transit options, CTA, Metra, a direct busway, shuttles and abundance of rideshare availability. Cobo is surrounded by tons of mega garages. I used to cringe at all that. But since selling my car 10 years ago due to lack of need, I relish the ease of parking in Detroit [[or any other city without major transit) when I’m renting a vehicle. Last I visited, I parked at the garage next 1001 Woodward. I can probably find myself being hyproctical however many posts ago when I balked at the demolition of historic buildings that stood there.

Point to all this is...yes....you need transit if you want to attract conventions - AND - to have a high density urban center of business and residences.
    Last edited by wolverine; April-12-19 at 06:25 PM.

^ Wolverine... I believe 1 historic building came down for that Parking Structure. The historic 1880s B. Siegal cast iron store on the north corner [[a very beautiful building) burned down in the 1980s, and was just an empty lot. So the rest of the Woodward frontage was really not that great, save for one building....

https://fadeddetroit.blogspot.com/20...d-hatcher.html

The parking garage that replaced the equivalent of 5 store fronts blends in rather well with its' neighboring buildings to the north....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    They will have by 2021 when the convention occurs.
    Ah, that's what I get for not reading the article...

4 buildings came down. Yes, there was a small lot at the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ^ Wolverine... I believe 1 historic building came down for that Parking Structure. The historic 1880s B. Siegal cast iron store on the north corner [[a very beautiful building) burned down in the 1980s, and was just an empty lot. So the rest of the Woodward frontage was really not that great, save for one building....

https://fadeddetroit.blogspot.com/20...d-hatcher.html

The parking garage that replaced the equivalent of 5 store fronts blends in rather well with its' neighboring buildings to the north....
    On that faded Detroit site, they had a reference to Hughes and Hatcher in Northland, somebody mentioned they had a cage of live monkeys in front of the store. I thought I remembered that kind of vividly, but nobody I ever asked about it did. I was on a lot of drugs on and off back then, I swear I was never really sure about it. I’m happy I read that.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    4 buildings came down. Yes, there was a small lot at the corner.
    This was the B. Siegel Building that was lost in a 1990 fire...
    http://historicdetroit.org/galleries...el-old-photos/

Yeah, Metro Detroit taxpayers need to spend megabillions for a commuter train to Metro Airport because it will make Detroit a huge convention city, never mind that such a train wouldn't go downtown, and the biggest convention cities on earth are Orlando and Vegas, cities with awful transit.
    Couldn't we just have hourly shuttles to the airport for the duration of a convention? Non stop transportation for conventioneers to leave the city, and not deal with the denizens proper?

On that faded Detroit site, they had a reference to Hughes and Hatcher in Northland, somebody mentioned they had a cage of live monkeys in front of the store. I thought I remembered that kind of vividly, but nobody I ever asked about it did. I was on a lot of drugs on and off back then, I swear I was never really sure about it. I’m happy I read that.
    Maybe Jungle Jims, in Ferndale, but why would a Men's store have monkey's for a draw? [[ Yeah, I'd go there.)
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-13-19 at 07:42 AM.

When we fly to Chicago we always us GoAirport Express to get to our downtown hotel. A shared shuttle van costing about $40 each way for both of us. Usually at our hotel in an hour. This is something DTW needs badly!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast