Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sherwood Forest living

Does anyone have a view on what living in Sherwood Forest [[in Detroit) is like?

I used to live near Sherwood Forest back in the 1980s and its was diverse for a while. Now it's fewer white folks and lots of black folks. But the homes are very beautiful and well preserved.

Even former Temptation lead singer David Ruffin used to lived there.

The location is hard to beat for access to suburbs and downtown.

I never lived there, but I always admired the area. I lived in EEV, also one of the stronger neighborhoods. SF was always pricier and more upscale.

Given the location, as I mentioned on another thread, I think that area is going to see a lot of interest in the coming years. Not just suburbs access but I can see the advantage of the Livernois retail corridor redevelopment. It has the potential to be a very walkable neighborhood, yet with stately homes. If I were to buy anywhere in Detroit right now [[that I could afford - I can't really afford most Midtown condos, or to maintain and heat a PW or IV home) I would buy there.

You would probably be best-served by getting in touch with their neighborhood association. If they have meetings, attend a couple of those.

https://www.sherwoodforestdetroit.org/

I have to warn you, those groups are the biggest die-hard boosters of their neighborhoods - I should know, I was once among their number. It works though. While so much of Detroit crumbled and was written off, hardy neighbors like in Rosedale, Sherwood Forest, EEV, and University District not only survived but are bouncing back in a big way.

Nothing wrong with Sherwood Forest but I think university district is much better. It's certainly more walkable. SF is layed out like a suburb.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    Nothing wrong with Sherwood Forest but I think university district is much better. It's certainly more walkable. SF is layed out like a suburb.
    https://www.walkscore.com/apartments/search/MI/Detroit

It looks like Sherwood Forest is more walkable.

I don't get why people feel that grid-style streets are automatically better than winding streets. I get that you run the risk of being Canton if it is subdivisions everywhere, but I found Detroit's grid streets to be uniquely unpleasant. The speeding was insane. And most of Detroit isn't that walkable, despite being in a grid.

Boston and Paris are not laid out in a grid throughout and they're pretty okay...

I didn't ask for this rant...

Walkscores mean nothing. the homes and lots in UD are obviously smaller and much more compact and it's not a far walk from commercial and grocery. UD is better IMO Sherwood forest is layed out like Bloomfield Hills.

Sherwood is awesome. Not from there but lived in places all over Detroit including UD. Housing stock is similar to UD, as there are big houses in both neighborhoods. There are a few bigger ones in SF but most of the houses there are still pretty close together. The lack of straight streets makes it even cooler, if not a little more secluded, except for the main street [[Canterbury) which has always been a cut-thru for residents of UD to get to 8 Mile among others, plus it's less bumpy than taking 7 Mile to Livernois.

The housing stock survived the Great Recession better than UD, as SF has always been a little more "exclusive," despite the fact that it shares Pembroke with Green Acres. The architectural features compare to UD, lots of fine woodwork, ornamental plaster galore, Pewabic entryways, hearths, and Flint Faience tile bathrooms, many with separate shower stalls. Home values decreased during the Recession but are at their "normal" prices now, and by that I mean it has always been on the pricier side for Detroit.

Walkability schmalkability. Get on your bike and ride. The Golf course community and UD are due south, Palmer Woods is due east and shares the Cemetery with SF, Palmer Park is right there [[and improving). Ferndale is a three minute pleasant ride and 15 if you wanna walk to the main drag.

Like Poobert, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

Sherwood Forest apples-to-apples is clearly more desirable than University District [[and Green Acres) , though University District is a bit more walkable/urban, given its an older, slightly closer-in neighborhood with fewer lots.

I think, if you're betting on a large-scale Detroit revival, University District would have the most upside, as it's the closest to downtown and anything approaching urbanity, but all will be good bets if the NW Side revives [[and obviously not-so-hot bets if it doesn't).

Walkscores mean nothing. the homes and lots in UD are obviously smaller and much more compact and it's not a far walk from commercial and grocery. UD is better IMO Sherwood forest is layed out like Bloomfield Hills.
    Sometimes you come across as being a bit too thin skinned to post here...

Sherwood Forest, along with Palmer Woods just east of it are both laid out in a random street pattern that is a refreshing change from the street grid plan of the rest of Detroit. Both are upper class neighborhoods, and therefore a resemblence to Bloomfield Hills is correct.

As for walkability... I don't think the folks who live[[d) in these 2 upper class neighborhoods care about that... They would use their autos anyway... and would likely prefer that others [[non-residents) not walk thru their neighborhoods.
    Last edited by Gistok; April-12-19 at 07:32 PM.

If you want a neighborhood with large detached houses, Sherwood Forest is certainly one of the best choices in the city, and is convenient for getting to other places.

If you are a walker, it's fine to walk on curved streets. If you are trying to get to something, it can be a little harder to walk to things from the eastern side of the neighborhood, but most people don't walk that much [[unfortunately, in my view). It's a pleasant neighborhood to bicycle around. I walk my dog a lot, and although I mostly walk in the University District I often walk over to Sherwood Forest or Palmer Woods or Green Acres just to go someplace different.

I'd probably choose between them more on the basis of the specific houses that were available than on which neighborhood. One thing about both neighborhoods is that the houses have a lot of individuality.

That's fine...and someone respectfully disagreeing with you and sharing their opinion and experiences does not a rant make.

I figured that's why we're here...after all...

Threadjack

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    And most of Detroit isn't that walkable, despite being in a grid.
    and 90% of Ann Arbor isn't walkable either.

Your old neighborhood [[EEV/Morningside) has the POTENTIAL to be walkable with East Warren Avenue [[the Alger Theatre) and sections of Harper Avenue.

90% of Ann Arbor looks like this, the vast majority of Detroit isn't built like that.

Concerning Sherwood Forest, there are some great developments on the "Avenue" announced in the past 2 months:

Re-structuring of Livernois will remove median, narrow to 3 lanes, widen sidewalks to 23-feet width
    https://detroit.curbed.com/2019/3/26...-shared-street

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/econom...tarting-spring

Table No.2, fining dining restaurant
    https://www.metrotimes.com/table-and...can-restaurant

Brix Wine Bar to re-locate there
    https://www.metrotimes.com/table-and...nue-of-fashion

Clothing store, Three Thirteen, opened in March
    http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/T...Expansion.aspx

Ron Bartell plans $4.6 million restaurant/retail/housing development
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...avenue-fashion

In nearby Palmer Park, new tennis/pickleball courts are being installed
    http://www.dailydetroit.com/2018/10/...tennis-courts/

Statistical overview of Sherwood Forest from the City-Data website
    http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...etroit-MI.html

Crime Map of recent crimes:
    https://cityofdetroit.github.io/crime-viewer/
    Also look up spotcrime.com or neighborhoodscout.com [[48221 zip code)

DPS located inside neighborhood: None, but neighborhood is zoned to Pasteur Elementary School and Mumford High School
    Last edited by masterblaster; April-15-19 at 08:36 AM.

All because pickleball rules the streets of the D ?

According to Barney McCallum, the game was officially named after the Pritchards' dog Pickles, who would chase the ball and run off with it.

According to McCallum, “The Pritchards had a dog named Pickles, and you're having fun at a party, right? So anyways, what the hell, let's just call it
    pickleball.”

Pickles, pickles here, get yer tasty zesty pickles here, 1 dolla, 1 dolla gets you a fresh crunchy pickle. Pickles Pickles Pickles yah you herd me, Pickles. Get your Pickles, cold refreshing Pickles, Pickles here 1 dolla 1 dolla step up now.

The pickle thing is taking off in the D. Get on the pickle barrel wagon.
    Last edited by O3H; April-15-19 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    That's fine...and someone respectfully disagreeing with you and sharing their opinion and experiences does not a rant make.

I figured that's why we're here...after all...
    You ranted about grided streets and other cities that nobody even mentioned. UD is more walkable than SF. End of story. If you like sprawling homes then by all means live in SF.

Years ago residents in Sherwood Forest and neighboring Palmer Woods didn't have to go outside their communities to shop for basic needs. There were a great grocery store on Livernois as well as other retail and amenities that catered to the surrounding communities that made them walkable. Grosse Pointe is what I consider a walkable city or community as well as Ferndale for their retail district draw the residents in their communities to it. The mentioned retail and business that are to open this year would not do. The clothing store maybe nice but does it really cater to the surrounding communities. That don't usually wear the streetwear. Let Structure, The Gap, or Columbia outlet store open and you would the residents come out from their castles

You ranted about grided streets and other cities that nobody even mentioned. UD is more walkable than SF. End of story. If you like sprawling homes then by all means live in SF.
    I would hardly call Sherwood "sprawling homes." I would venture to say half of Sherwood is as tight together as UD. Any drive down Shrewsbury, Roslyn, Renfrew, Berkeley, etc would confirm that.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Years ago residents in Sherwood Forest and neighboring Palmer Woods didn't have to go outside their communities to shop for basic needs. There were a great grocery store on Livernois as well as other retail and amenities that catered to the surrounding communities that made them walkable. ...
    When the houses in Sherwood Forest were built, they probably sent the maid to get groceries. Those were high end houses, and labor costs were low in the late twenties and thirties.

^^^ Absolutely. Some of those homes have servants quarters. I recall a house on Hamilton in the Pontchartrain area with a servant living area over the garage.

Indian Village is my favorite then Sherwood Forest. I like East English Village for its close proximity to Grosse Pointe

Name:  SHERWOOD PALMER1916.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  184.4 KB
    Detroit Free Press
    Detroit, Michigan
    10 Dec 1916, Sun • Page 118

Hmmm.....a neighborhood that is "protected against the encroachments of undesirable influences...."

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Years ago residents in Sherwood Forest and neighboring Palmer Woods didn't have to go outside their communities to shop for basic needs. There were a great grocery store on Livernois as well as other retail and amenities that catered to the surrounding communities that made them walkable. Grosse Pointe is what I consider a walkable city or community as well as Ferndale for their retail district draw the residents in their communities to it. The mentioned retail and business that are to open this year would not do. The clothing store maybe nice but does it really cater to the surrounding communities. That don't usually wear the streetwear. Let Structure, The Gap, or Columbia outlet store open and you would the residents come out from their castles
    Years ago no one living in Detroit had to leave their neighborhood for basic needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    Years ago no one living in Detroit had to leave their neighborhood for basic needs.
    That is very true where I lived on Littlefield between Vassar and Saint Martins. Take a short walk from there South to The 7 mile Road business district and there was just about everything you could need right there.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    That is very true where I lived on Littlefield between Vassar and Saint Martins. Take a short walk from there South to The 7 mile Road business district and there was just about everything you could need right there.
    Yes. I grew up in Jefferson-Chalmers until I went away to college in the late 60's. Everything was there; supermarkets, clothing, shoe and jewelry stores, utility offices, hardware and appliance stores, several movie theaters, restaurants, Secretary of State office, doctor & dentist offices. All between Conner and Alter Rd.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast