Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Cannabis Legalization--A Pot Tourism Bonanza for Detroit and Michigan?

I ask this based on a conversation with some cannabis-enjoying friends. They were contemplating a visit to Ohio's Hocking Hills when one says, "Yeah, but we could get busted for weed in Ohio. Let's go up north instead where we don't have to worry about that."

With Michigan being the only legal recreational use [US] location within 600 miles it strikes me that we are in for a quiet tourism jackpot. I am reminded of the days when fireworks laws sent people across state lines.

What do you think? Is the day when a Pure Michigan ad touting our "enhanced" sunsets arriving?

Name:  Legal-Marijuana-States.png
Views: 632
Size:  67.6 KB

I agree Lowell.... I can just picture a "Dispensery/Head Shop" opening in 'District Detroit'... and before a concert at one of the theatres/arenas/stadia... the Ilitch owned parking structures will reek to high heaven of skunk weed...

And afterwards it would support a booming restaurant industry to feed all those munchies!
    Last edited by Gistok; April-08-19 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ... Is the day when a Pure Michigan ad touting our "enhanced" sunsets arriving?...
    LOL. That's pretty clever.

I recall advocating for legalization just to help Detroit financially. I was thinking too small back then.

The movement is pressuring the feds now to lead, follow, or get out of the way.

State Rep. Jeff Yaroch, [chair of LARA]:
    The direction we're getting from Washington D.C. on marijuana is inconsistent at best. This uncertainty has done nothing to help Michigan. It is time for Congress to fulfill its duty under the Constitution to decide whether states will be allowed to regulate marijuana according to the will of the people. This is simple: Congress should either stand by the law or respect states' rights and grant waivers to states from Federal law to regulate it under state law.
    [[from the local Gazette)

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I agree Lowell.... I can just picture a "Dispensery/Head Shop" opening in 'District Detroit'... and before a concert at one of the theatres/arenas/stadia... the Ilitch owned parking structures will reek to high heaven of skunk weed...

And afterwards it would support a booming restaurant industry to feed all those munchies!
    You may be on to something. Little Ceasars could offer weed as a topping on their Hot ‘n Ready Pizza. Get high and feed the munchies at the same time.

They better hurry up with the marketing campaigns. Many other places are moving to legalize it soon, so it'll soon be about as unique as laws banning smoking cigarettes indoors.

Honestly, I think that bird has flown. Even States that haven't legalized weed have decriminalized to the extent that weed being illegal is either become irrelevant , or soon will be. Ohio is a $100 civil fine...same with New York. Even Nebraska has changed from a felony to a simple $300 civil fine for possession. I see it kind of like the bogus claims about legalized gambling in downtown Detroit, and how we were going to attract a lot of out-of-towners....never happened.

What will occur once the legal Michigan market fully opens, is that other States will quickly follow suit. Kansas, Indiana, South Carolina, Utah, Mississippi, Idaho....they'll be the holdouts as far as recreational.

Traveling from Michigan to Indiana is going to cause extra scrutiny. The first time I went from Colorado to Nebraska in 2015, I counted 34 police cars pulling people over on I-80 on the way home, and Colorado and any out-of-state plates got special attention. Crossing into Kansas was even worse. Take a personal stash of weed from Colorado to New Mexico and no one basically cares unless you're an idiot about it.

Not saying the new law won't create a new market angle as far as tourism, it just won't be as big as one thinks.

The liberals in Portland Oregon refer to the Eastern side of their State as "Western Idaho". Dispensaries are hard to find, and attitudes are different. If it wasn't for Spokane, Washington is about the same.
    Last edited by Bong-Man; April-08-19 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Honestly, I think that bird has flown. Even States that haven't legalized weed have decriminalized to the extent that weed being illegal is either become irrelevant , or soon will be. Ohio is a $100 civil fine...same with New York. Even Nebraska has changed from a felony to a simple $300 civil fine for possession. I see it kind of like the bogus claims about legalized gambling in downtown Detroit, and how we were going to attract a lot of out-of-towners....never happened.

What will occur once the legal Michigan market fully opens, is that other States will quickly follow suit. Kansas, Indiana, South Carolina, Utah, Mississippi, Idaho....they'll be the holdouts as far as recreational.

Traveling from Michigan to Indiana is going to cause extra scrutiny. The first time I went from Colorado to Nebraska in 2015, I counted 34 police cars pulling people over on I-80 on the way home, and Colorado and any out-of-state plates got special attention. Crossing into Kansas was even worse. Take a personal stash of weed from Colorado to New Mexico and no one basically cares unless you're an idiot about it.

Not saying the new law won't create a new market angle as far as tourism, it just won't be as big as one thinks.

The liberals in Portland Oregon refer to the Eastern side of their State as "Western Idaho". Dispensaries are hard to find, and attitudes are different.
    100% agree with this comment.

Hah! That was naughty! ----

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    You may be on to something. Little Ceasars could offer weed as a topping on their Hot ‘n Ready Pizza. Get high and feed the munchies at the same time.

Just wanted to add that Nat'l Parks of any kind are still under Federal law, including those in Colorado, Washington, Oregon, and our State. You may want to sit in the sand, burn one, and watch the sunset at Sleeping Bear Dunes, but you'll be risking a Federal felony charge by doing so. At Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park, Cascades, and Olympic, the rangers purposely stuck their heads right in every vehicle and took a sniff as entry passes were purchased. I couldn't think of a worse way to ruin a good vacation.

"Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
    — H. L. Mencken

“The more people chant about their freedom and how free they are, the more loudly I hear their chains rattling.”

- George Orwell
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-09-19 at 12:39 PM.

A cabin on the lake and friends to share it. A bong at sunset, edibles for breakfast, and Detroit-style pizza is just a phone call away.

Come to Michigan, where the summers are perfect and the weed is legal.

Plan your trip today. Pure Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    A cabin on the lake and friends to share it. A bong at sunset, edibles for breakfast, and Detroit-style pizza is just a phone call away.

Come to Michigan, where the summers are perfect and the weed is legal.

Plan your trip today. Pure Michigan.
    He gets it!

I'm hoping for a Pure Michigan commercial too!! But for different reasons... I like the Pure Michigan commercial parodies....

It would be hilarious to see a Marijuana Pure Michigan parody....

^^^ And easy to create one!

Just when you thought the fudge business couldn’t get any bigger!

This is what normlization looks like.

A Day at Canada’s First Weed Curling Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    This is what normlization looks like.

A Day at Canada’s First Weed Curling Tournament
    Who knew?

Had we been able to do something like this ... maybe bowling wouldn't be a dying business/hobby here in Michigan!