Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Former Embassy Suites hotel in Southfield closes

link

The former Embassy Suites by Hilton hotel in Southfield closed without warning and is expected to reopen under another brand.

It lost its Hilton branding and became the independent Southfield Suites in September, and then stopped taking reservations three weeks ago, said Dan Steines, its general manager.
    The hotel building is vacant and its power has been turned off, according to an email sent by Southfield Fire Chief Johnny Menifee to city officials. The only activity seen by fire department members on a visit was several security staff.
    add it to the list of suburban mega hotel closures

That's a huge foot-print building to now be shuttered. Looks like they were on the deep skids for a while [[plenty of very poor reviews).

I recall going to the Gem and Jewelry wholesale shows there in the 2000-2006 or so when it was nicer. Wonderful atrium, clean, nice rooms. Went downhill very fast after that:

https://www.hotelplanner.com/Hotels/...8034#HotelName

https://www.yelp.com/biz/embassy-sui...oit-southfield
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-04-19 at 09:44 AM.

Boutique hotels are getting popular and cheaper. Who needs mega hotels?

^^^ Apparently that seems to be the case D.

It's gonna look dark on that 696/ Northwestern corner.

A new Southfield eyesore.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-04-19 at 09:55 AM.

Stayed there a couple of years ago one winter when our power went out at home. It was still Embassy Suites then. It was the worst hotel we've ever stayed at. Room had a uncomfortable odor, the Wi-Fi didn't work, and management could not answer basic questions. Upon arrival, the lobby was dirty and strewn with paper cups and trash, as if a huge party had just left. We didn't even stay the night. When we found out our power came back on at midnight, we got out of there.

^^^ Yeah at the end, that parking lot looked pretty cratered just driving by. Cars broken into. Southfield Po-Pos [[police) made a few visits no doubt.

Between this hotel, the former Dearborn Hyatt, the former Michigan Inn in Southfield and the former Northfield Hilton in Troy, the suburban closed hotels are piling up quick. Is this a result of the shift to downtown, a result of an over saturated market or a result of bad ownership? Maybe all of the above?

Good news is that these hotels could be rescued and reopened such as the former Southfield Holiday Inn and the former Doubletree at DTW. Not only were these reopened but they were completely renovated and repositioned.

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    Between this hotel, the former Dearborn Hyatt, the former Michigan Inn in Southfield and the former Northfield Hilton in Troy, the suburban closed hotels are piling up quick. Is this a result of the shift to downtown, a result of an over saturated market or a result of bad ownership? Maybe all of the above?

Some are closing, but they're building new hotels like mad further out in the suburbs. Novi and Wixom have added at least half a dozen in just the last few years. Adell just broke ground at their former Novi Expo Center site. It's supposedly going to have a Marriot, a Hilton as well as a Carvanna dealership and multi story Planet Fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Some are closing, but they're building new hotels like mad further out in the suburbs. Novi and Wixom have added at least half a dozen in just the last few years. Adell just broke ground at their former Novi Expo Center site. It's supposedly going to have a Marriot, a Hilton as well as a Carvanna dealership and multi story Planet Fitness.
    Sprawl baby sprawl

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post

Good news is that these hotels could be rescued and reopened such as the former Southfield Holiday Inn and the former Doubletree at DTW. Not only were these reopened but they were completely renovated and repositioned.
    For what it’s worth, the Northfield Hilton was recently demolished. I’m definitely curious what the future holds for the Dearborn Hyatt and Michigan Inn, though they probably await the same fate as the Northfield Hilton.

Not just futher out. Within the last couple of years, they built a Holiday Inn Express [[I-96 & Inkster) and a Hampton Inn [[I-96 & Middlebelt). The Holiday Inn at I-275 & 6 Mile was also demolished and re-built. Yes, I'm in Livonia, so these are visible to me on a near-daily basis.

There are also a number of smaller properties roughly at I-696 and Farmington that have gone up - or are in the process of going up.

I've seen similar developments along I-75 in the Flint area near closed/declining properties. Seems like there's no shortage of hotel development, but "build new" seems to be the preference. My understanding is that older properties are difficult to maintain and generally less preferred by travelers. If you look at reviews for a new property, a majority of the positive reviews start out with a description of the newness of the facility...

From the article, it sure looks as if they are planning to re-open after significant renovation. I would think that in that corridor, such a project should be viable. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The budget priced Hampton, HI Express, Fairfield, etc. give you the same quality of room, indoor pool and gym, plus hot breakfast for less money than a full-service Marriott, Holiday Inn, Doubletree etc. Fewer guests, even business travellers, are eating at the hotel anymore [[and if they are they can order in from area restaurants.)

There are two or three new hotels along 12-mile near Middlebelt, right next to I-696. There are two new hotels next to each other on the Stephenson highway and 14-mile. There are two new [[within the last two years) hotels at Big Beaver and I-75.

If you are an old suburban hotel and haven't kept up on maintenance or refurbishing your rooms, you'll be the next to be demolished and replaced with a new one.

There’s plenty of new hotels under construction or recently completed in Macomb County too.

It is interesting to see that all the suburban north hotels almost all congregate around each other. Besides those spread along I-696, they are mainly in Troy near I-75, in north Warren/south Sterling Heights on Van Dyke, and in Roseville near I-94...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hotels tend to prefer areas where there will be a high amount of traffic and amenities to increase their desirability to potential guests.

So it's not surprising that they would congregate near shopping hubs [[Roseville) and employment hubs [[North Warren / South Sterling Heights and Troy).

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It is interesting to see that all the suburban north hotels almost all congregate around each other. Besides those spread along I-696, they are mainly in Troy near I-75, in north Warren/south Sterling Heights on Van Dyke, and in Roseville near I-94...
    And they are basically all Marriott & Hilton brands.
    Last edited by 401don; May-19-19 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wazootyman View Post
    From the article, it sure looks as if they are planning to re-open after significant renovation. I would think that in that corridor, such a project should be viable. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    I often see a few vehicles there, but never enough for the full-scale refurb this property will need to reopen. They may still be in the planning stage so far.

The hotels that continuously are being built in the suburbs are select service/low convention space hotels. While the full service, larger hotels suffer.