Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Interesting to see how this thread developed. It's fascinating how people on opposite sides of a debate each believe they stand on the moral high ground.

Quote Originally Posted by LongGone06 View Post
    Interesting to see how this thread developed. It's fascinating how people on opposite sides of a debate each believe they stand on the moral high ground.
    LOL and I'm the queer over like "I love Chick Fil-A but I also love having principles but my stomach also doesn't vote but also I don't want my dollars going to an organization that seeks to take away my right to marry but also foooooood."

Actually, I've come up with a compromise that for every meal I have at CFA, I give double to an LGBTQ organization. Not that I have it that much but it's a nice gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by gpp1004 View Post
    Capitalism is the answer to bigotry? Ya lost me, brah.
    Best I can come up with. In the same vane as “Get Woke, Go Broke”, bigots can also reap what they sow. The alternatives are too open ended and involve government overreach or social engineering at a minimum. No thanks.

Anyway, I’m done with this nonsense. You can either eat at CF or not. Your choice.

The bottom line is that Federal law currently allows it. You can't refuse service based on a number of protected classes and factors. The baker didn't. They refused to decorate a cake a certain way. They did not refuse to serve the customer at all, though they probably could have legally.

Until and unless Federal Law is changed to add Orientation as a protected class, this is all moot.

But chickin' is chickin' and theirs ain't nuthin' speshul. I don't go there because I don't like how they do business in a more general sense, but also because their stuff doesn't appeal to me.

I don't like how Hobby Lobby refuses certain selected medical benefits to their employees, but they have some things I can't get anywhere else.

I always had wondered who or what is stopping them from having a stand alone brick and mortar restaurant in downtown or midtown Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by gpp1004 View Post
    Likewise, you would find it appropriate for a Christian family be denied a cake decorated with say, a cross, for a baptism, if they happened to go to a bakery owned by an athiest?
    Totally appropriate. I do not believe that people should be forced to create works of art that are contrary to their own morals.

It is, however, inappropriate to refuse to sell 'off-the-shelf' cakes. And the baker here was willing to sell to this gay couple. He just wasn't willing to make a 'custom' cake.

This feels to some like discrimination against gays. But it wasn't. He just declined to make a custom work of art.

Where this intersects with our current issue... is that the pro LGBT lobby sees any unwillingness to 'celebrate' their position as 'hate'. I saw no evidence that Mr. Baker hated anyone. He welcomed them into his store. Explained his position on creating custom artwork cakes. Offered to sell them a regular cake. And kindly referred them to other area bakers who provide the expressive, artistic service they sought.

CFA isn't hating anyone. They just have a different opinion that the LGBTQXISOWK lobby does. AFAIK, they operate within the law -- just not within the opinion of the LGBTQx99's political/military arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    LOL! As usual women/ girls are disproportionately affected in the quest for equal 'options'. More women are unhappy about men going into a bathroom where they or their daughters or girls in general are than the other way around.

I suppose we're just not progressive enough, after all...... Darn!
    You don't speak for all women; I personally don't care if men or transgenders share the bathroom. I used to share a bathroom with another apartment in a place I lived in Royal Oak.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    CFA isn't hating anyone. They just have a different opinion that the LGBTQXISOWK lobby does. AFAIK, they operate within the law -- just not within the opinion of the LGBTQx99's political/military arm.
    Wait, I'm having trouble with my scorecard. Is the LGBTQ team the ones with the guns?

Varied individuals choose to own guns [[gay, straight, trans, binary etc.), last I time I checked. Hah!
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-07-19 at 07:52 AM.

Fair enough JC. World's still big enough. There are still options -- I'll seek and champion them specifically for girls I'm with and myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    You don't speak for all women; I personally don't care if men or transgenders share the bathroom. I used to share a bathroom with another apartment in a place I lived in Royal Oak.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-07-19 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Th
    Where this intersects with our current issue... is that the pro LGBT lobby sees any unwillingness to 'celebrate' their position as 'hate'.

No. No no no no no. The Pro LGBT lobby doesn't want celebration. They [[we) just want to be treated like everyone else. And yes, denying equal rights is a form of hate. Fuck that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3