Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Anyone interested in signing my MCS petition?

I started this petition a couple of weeks ago and would love to hear anyone's feedback on the issue. Thanks!

https://www.change.org/p/mdot-bring-...entral-station

Default No

No, not really

It will happen when Ford throws in the towel on building 3 row SUVs and starts building prime movers and passenger rolling stock instead.

Expecting them to encourage people to not use their products seems like a bit of a reach. But go ahead and dream, don’t let any common sense cloud them up.

You really need to be lobbying the feds,Amtrak and Ford will put a train anywhere money can be made.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    It will happen when Ford throws in the towel on building 3 row SUVs and starts building prime movers and passenger rolling stock instead.

Expecting them to encourage people to not use their products seems like a bit of a reach. But go ahead and dream, don’t let any common sense cloud them up.
    Amtrak’s going to build a new train station anyway... I didn’t think it was that outlandish but thanks for the useful feedback.
    Don’t you think if Amtrak came to Ford and said “we’ll lease this space from you for x amount” that Ford would say no? it may not be cars but 20 dollars is 20 dollars

Study underway: https://www.bridgemi.com/detroit-jou...entral-station

JoeDetroit, don't take their bitterness as "useful feedback. A lot of people on this forum shoot down anything even remotely positive as being ignorant or inferior.
    Last edited by NSortzi; April-03-19 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDetroit View Post
    Amtrak’s going to build a new train station anyway... I didn’t think it was that outlandish but thanks for the useful feedback.
    Apparently you are not aware that AMTRAK built a new station a couple of years ago on Woodward and Milwaukee or Baltimore in New Center.

true. It was in all the papers. I assume you can read. Use that skill more often, it can help avoid awkward situations.

kind of like this one

How old are you that 1994 was "a few years ago?"

In any case, MCS will have the ability to site a station on the existing platforms whenever the region gets its transit in order. This was announced when Ford formally announced the station's renovation.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Apparently you are not aware that AMTRAK built a new station a couple of years ago on Woodward and Milwaukee or Baltimore in New Center.

true. It was in all the papers. I assume you can read. Use that skill more often, it can help avoid awkward situations.

kind of like this one
    “A couple of years ago”. Lmao. This post essentially summarizes the vast majority of users’ personalities on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    How old are you that 1994 was "a few years ago?"
    Wasn't it? <counting on fingers> Oh.

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    Study underway: https://www.bridgemi.com/detroit-jou...entral-station

JoeDetroit, don't take their bitterness as "useful feedback. A lot of people on this forum shoot down anything even remotely positive as being ignorant or inferior.
    I stand corrected. It does appear I was completely wrong about Fords interest in bringing Amtrak to MCS according to this article.

I was starting to think of the possibilities until I read the word “millage” to fund it. I can’t support that under any circumstances. Throwing people out of their homes in Detroit for unpaid property taxes has had catastrophic consequences for the city and the people in foreclosure. It is even more reprehensible when so many new residents to Detroit are currently moving into places that have had the property taxes severely abated.

Somewhere on one of these threads no too far back ago, I suggested the possibility of Ford using the existing tracks as a commuter service between their locations since the newer Dearborn station is almost across the road from The Glass House.

commuter service

Great idea, they could redirect the monorail that ran from the Mall to the hotel.

We need a high speed connect from downtown via Dearborn to Metro Airport

Quote Originally Posted by spower03 View Post
    No, not really
    /thread...

Welcome to Detroityes JDetroit!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Welcome to Detroityes JDetroit!
    Yes welcome. I think the likelihood of your proposal is distant but I like the thought. It would fit well with Ford's forward thinking that is embodied in their Michigan Central transformation--not to mention the talk on another thread of a Toronto-Detroit rail link.

While the sentiment is decent, the decision to bring back train transit to the station would be the result of highly detailed market studies - not the whims of a few hundred people. Not to mention that Ford is looking even more future-forward than trains for this site. They have goals for long term transit possibilities that may go beyond train-based transit.