Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ron Sweed AKA The Ghoul has passed

Sad day in Detroit the Ghoul Ron Sweed has passed My childhood idle. Thank you for giving Detroit great memories Rest in peace Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I just want to see the halerman, ehrlichman, mitchell and dean, our minds are dirty but our hands are clean song

Watched his show back in the day every now & then.

I don’t recall what year this was, but I saw him riding in a car, waving to the crowd, in one of the daily parades that wound through the State Fair during its run one year. Had on his costume of wig, sunglasses with one missing lens, & blue lab coat. Sign was on the car saying who he was, but I imagine there were many who didn’t know, especially the younger crowd.

If you saw the show in the past, you wouldn't have needed a car sign to tell you who he was. I was happy to wave back in recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I just want to see the halerman, ehrlichman, mitchell and dean, our minds are dirty but our hands are clean song
    Somehow I associated that with Firesign Theater or National Lampoon but maybe everyone was doing it back then.

THE CREEP - Haldeman, Ehrlichman, Mitchell and Dean [[1973)

Lyrics

Is it wrong to revere someone that devoted to irreverence?

Maybe that dilemma is his unique legacy.

I'm guessing he'd say don't take life so seriously. It's only temporary!

[[minus one lens)
    Last edited by Jimaz; April-03-19 at 08:32 PM.

I was a somewhat fan back in the day, but would be better off having him as a next door neighbor than as entertainment on Saturday nights.

And never lived in Cleveland, lucky bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Somehow I associated that with Firesign Theater or National Lampoon but maybe everyone was doing it back then.
    THE CREEP - Haldeman, Ehrlichman, Mitchell and Dean [[1973)
    Lyrics
    I am guessing you are right. He may have actually played Firesign's version. It was a clip on the show.

Oh man, that's real bummer. He and his act were such a big part of my high school years. Late Saturday night everyone watched him.

What a wonderfully bad influence he was on us. An icon in both Cleveland and Detroit. Froggy, Spencer & Mongolia, Ghoulumbo, Janoush and the chrome ball, Cheez-whiz, Parma, white socks, more Parma, those terrible movies, and all those firecrackers.

...Do it while you can, but don't get caught! Bye...

Me too! I must be getting old-er! ----

Quote Originally Posted by msamslex View Post
    Watched his show back in the day every now & then.

Hey-HEEEEEYYY!

I'm gonna miss that guy. We had to catch him real late on some off UHF channel that was hard to get in. He'd torture Froggy [[who was a throwback from old TV shows like Smilin' Ed's Gang or Andy's Gang), smash models people sent in to him, and play odd music filler between commercial breaks [[like "They're Coming to take Me Away" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fn36l_z3WY).

More Detroit TV History gone....RIP

I thought I'd post this for all of you Ghoul Fans...

https://apps.vendini.com/e/viewEmail...0c7033f3fda151

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I thought I'd post this for all of you Ghoul Fans...

https://apps.vendini.com/e/viewEmail...0c7033f3fda151
    Can't make this tonight [[much as I'd love to), but the Redford is such a great place run by great people.