Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: City Parks

Default City Parks

Many of the City parks I have visited on the East Side have been surrounded by boulders, for I assume, to discourage driving on the lawns. I recently observed this was done even at Lakewood East [[Angel) Park which gives me hope that this long neglected place will be spruced up. Is this happening city wide and where are they getting all of these huge boulders.

I've noticed it at various parks where there isn't a fence. And supposedly, Angel Park is going to be made into a nature preserve.

I have noticed this as well. I think it is more welcoming to residents of the neighborhoods. The fences just seemed exclusionary. The rocks require no maintenance and make the parks feel more open and inclusive.

I'm happy to see the city continuing to replace the chain link fences with boulders. The fences simply trapped every plastic bag, paper, and other litter.

Several years ago I was showing my wife around and we had just entered the parking lot at Angel Park when four identical black 4x4's zoomed past us and started tearing it up under the trees. There was no one else there. We had no idea what was going on but we abruptly turned around and went home. Anyone who's ever been to Angel Park knows it's desolate, usually empty, and accessible only by one long road that crosses two bridges over canals. Obviously there wasn't any barrier to protect the lawn.

I agree: boulders are way better than fences.
    Last edited by bust; October-17-20 at 02:12 PM.