Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Honey Baked Ham

Default Honey Baked Ham

Does anyone remember the location of the original Honey Baked Ham store? I seem to remember it somewhere on Fenkell but I can’t pinpoint it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdomini View Post
    Does anyone remember the location of the original Honey Baked Ham store? I seem to remember it somewhere on Fenkell but I can’t pinpoint it.
    3741 Fenkell, near Dexter. I remember the line stretching out the door and around the corner before Thanksgivings back in the mid 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdomini View Post
    The original home of Honey Baked Ham was on Fenkell one block west of Dexter. I don't know it the building is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncledave54 View Post
    I don't know it the building is still there.

Name:  HBHam.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  52.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Name:  HBHam.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  52.4 KB

Thanks........ i guess it's still there.

Wonder if they'd be interested in restoring the place? Those are the kinds of areas I've been crowing about redeveloping. Bringing them back would go a long ways to recovery of other than the core.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosie Ledbetter View Post
    3741 Fenkell, near Dexter. I remember the line stretching out the door and around the corner before Thanksgivings back in the mid 60s.
    Same for the mid 80s, on the days before both Christmas and Easter, a line around the corner, and for good reason. Lots of imatators, but hbh is the real magilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosie Ledbetter View Post
    Pops worked on the HVAC systems in that little bldg. got to know Harry. He'd always offer to give dad our ham outside the backdoor, dad never did. He waited in line.

Those lines were damn long in the late 50's. I remember freezing my arse of waiting in line before Christmas.

Real HBH story...

One Easter many years ago my mother sent my youngest brother to the HBH store on Gratiot in Roseville to pick up a ham she had ordered. He went out to the store, waited in the long line, picked up the ham and took it home. When my mother saw it she knew instantly it was the wrong size [[too small). She called HBH and read them the riot act. Youngest brother went back to the Roseville store and went to the back of the line. After about 5 minutes waiting in what was easily a one hour line, a man came out of the store and yelled at my brother, "Hey, are you the kid from Grosse Pointe? Come on in." Note, he was the only one in line with a HBH bag. My youngest brother went across the parking lot and into the store feeling the daggers in his back from everyone else in line. He exchanged the small ham for the larger one and left ASAP, as inconspicuously as possible.
    Family members have been telling that story ever since.