Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Nissan-Renault and PSA Groupe are Both Interested in Acquiring FCA

I miss my Renault Le car... well no, not really.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-31-19 at 02:34 PM.

Isn't Nissan in the middle of a crisis? Doesn't sound like the best time to try to merge.

^^^ Right! Wasn't Nissan once Datsun......?

Was never my pick for a foreign car.

Kia is certainly doing better, not to mention Toyota, even Honda for the Asian market.

Update:

Fiat Chrysler and France’s Renault are in talks to form a partnership

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/25/fiat...-industry.html

Another update. An annoucement regarding a "merger or partnership" could happen as soon as tomorrow.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/26/fiat...utomakers.html

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Another update. An annoucement regarding a "merger or partnership" could happen as soon as tomorrow.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/26/fiat...utomakers.html
    Would Renault be breaking ties with Nissan to join with Chrysler?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Would Renault be breaking ties with Nissan to join with Chrysler?
    I think it would be a foursome:

Fiat
    Chrysler
    Renault
    Nissan

My concern would be what effect, if any, this would have on the FCA expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I think it would be a foursome:

Fiat
    Chrysler
    Renault
    Nissan

My concern would be what effect, if any, this would have on the FCA expansion?
    The expansion is all about increasing demand for Jeep and making it a worldwide brand so I don't see any effect.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The expansion is all about increasing demand for Jeep and making it a worldwide brand so I don't see any effect.
    Agreed....

This sounds like a hot mess...

Chrysler is such a disappointment in every way.

It's official. The merger paperwork has been submitted, which would be separate from the partnership Renault has with Nissan...

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/27/fiat...h-renault.html

If this merger takes place, FCA would in effect be the 3rd largest automaker in the world [[behind VW and Toyota). Ford and GM should still be the largest automakers in the US [[for now).

I hear Chrysler is working with Cedar Point on a new ride.................

Jose dedeurwaerder and Joseph Cappy ride again....

I would love to see a Toyota or Nissan plant in Michigan especially Detroit. The name "Nissan" is more of a threat to the US automakers than Fiat and Renault are. I will be more excited if I hear news that Toyota is interesting in buying the former GM Poletown Plant

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I would love to see a Toyota or Nissan plant in Michigan especially Detroit. The name "Nissan" is more of a threat to the US automakers than Fiat and Renault are. I will be more excited if I hear news that Toyota is interesting in buying the former GM Poletown Plant
    That will never happen. The future is not Detroit. Look for new production facilities in the southern US and for an expansion into South America.

Nissan already has a large assembly plant in TN.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niss...assembly_plant

Quote Originally Posted by Colombian Dan View Post
    That will never happen. The future is not Detroit. Look for new production facilities in the southern US and for an expansion into South America.
    lol okay pal, that's why waymo is setting up shop here. totes not da future.

I wonder if Renault is using this as a hedge against Nissan. The French car maker would like to take controling interest in Nissan to better control it's partner [[it has 43% of it) but Nissan has bewen reluctant to do so, even after Renault bailed it out of severe financial trouble 10 years ago.

Detroit would do well to get off the HorsePower and live in reality.
    Someone needs to make things reasonable for 2020+

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    I wonder if Renault is using this as a hedge against Nissan. The French car maker would like to take controling interest in Nissan to better control it's partner [[it has 43% of it) but Nissan has bewen reluctant to do so, even after Renault bailed it out of severe financial trouble 10 years ago.
    If you take a look @ that Wikipedia link I posted above, there's also a third player involved in this "Alliance", Mitsubishi. It'll be interesting to see the end result of the FCA acquisition in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    lol okay pal, that's why waymo is setting up shop here. totes not da future.
    400 jobs!?? Haha...
    A Michigan Economic Development Corp. memo had said the project would involve the creation of at least 100 jobs with a potential for 400 jobs and a capital investment of $13.6 million. Waymo, which is a subsidiary of Alphabet Inc., Google's parent, had requested an $8 million Michigan Business Development Program grant.

What do the amount of jobs or Alphabet have to do with anything?

You made a brash statement about the future and I provided an example of the future being designed and built in Detroit. So convenient that southerners think their humid shit hole is the future. Sure jan.

interesting. I guess if it clears whatever legal hurdles may exist, we'll see what happens, especially stateside. I wonder what job losses there will be in both companies' global territories.

It looks like [[for the moment, at least) the deal is off. Due to problems with the French government....which has a stake in Renault......and Nissan's reluctance to go along, Bloomburg is reporting that FCA has walked away from the deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast