Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Best Bars "in the loop"

I know a few film crews coming to town and they ask the same questions including:

What are the best bars in the loop?

Kinda funny, they consider the People Mover our loop, but c'est la vie.

So, what are the best bars "in the loop" and why?

Gee, I hope we never call the CBD "the Loop." Imitating Chicago would be so lame ...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Imitating Chicago would be so lame ...
    Yeah, having a thriving city, plus being attractive for young people to live, for tourists to visit, as well as employers to set up shop, and being known as a cultural and retail destination would be so totally lame.

Sierra, I'm talking about naming little things in Detroit in a cutesy way to try trading off the fame of Chicago, not having really good urban planning. No, imitating Chicago would be lame because it takes away from our unique history. Besides, Chicago's problem is that it's trying too hard to be a WCC [[world-class city). So just zip up your hard-on for Chi-town, OK?

Okay, I'll just tell them the residents are too busy arguing with each other to give a good answer.

I mean about the bars, not the regional issues.

The best bars in the CBD? That's sort of tough, though. Upscale? Gritty? Cool?

Probably the most upscale bar is the one up at Coach Insignia. Great views, and you don't have to take a gamble on their food, which some say is overpriced.

Grittiest? I kinda like the Anchor for grit, and old newspaperman's bar loaded with Detroit history.

Coolest? Cliff Bell's: hands down.

detroiter on beubean, detroit beer company on broadway, checker on cadiallac sq, the post on fort or jefferson, ...

the notion of "best" has no meaning without a context. what do you mean by best? Music? pricey or cheap, divey or elegant, laid back or sophisticated, ...

I highly recommend the Motor Bar in the Book Cadillac! Great atmosphere and always very lively when we've been in for drinks.

For networking buppie types, there's Flood's.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Okay, I'll just tell them the residents are too busy arguing with each other to give a good answer.

I mean about the bars, not the regional issues.
    Did you follow the link I posted. We basically had this discussion a few weeks ago. The link I posted was this forums answer to your question. Next time you may want to try reading the info that's already here.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    I highly recommend the Motor Bar in the Book Cadillac! Great atmosphere and always very lively when we've been in for drinks.
    I stopped in with some friends a couple Fridays ago around 7 ish. for a quick drink on our way out for the night. also have been there for other events in the hotel and went up for a drink. In the handful of times I've been there we were the only ones there. Is it typically dead outside of post work/happy hour? didn't really mind though, service was great and drinks were generous..and not outrageously priced.

ziggyselbin Guest

Sierra, I'm talking about naming little things in Detroit in a cutesy way to try trading off the fame of Chicago, not having really good urban planning. No, imitating Chicago would be lame because it takes away from our unique history. Besides, Chicago's problem is that it's trying too hard to be a WCC [[world-class city). So just zip up your hard-on for Chi-town, OK?

Chicago is a world class city and has been for a very very very long time.

Forans, Park Bar, Cliff Bells, Dmongos, Lager House, LJs, Old Miami. Not all in the "loop" , but close enough.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyselbin View Post
    No, it isn't.

I think few people outside of Chicago boosters would claim that Chicago is a first-tier global city.

As for the film crews, send them to Cliff Bells. One of the coolest bars anywhere.

Foran's Grand Trunk, on Woodward. Have a 'burger or chicken sandwich. Ask what's going on in the area.
    Then, go to Cliff Bell's, for sure...
    Can I come?

Gee, I hope we never call the CBD "the Loop." Imitating Chicago would be so lame ...
    Calling it "The Loop" would just be lame.

But I would be all for a comprehensive public transit system that renames the awfully named "People Mover" the "Downtown Loop."

The People Mover is as Deetroit as a name could be..... unless you drop the the to a da.....

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    No, it isn't.

I think few people outside of Chicago boosters would claim that Chicago is a first-tier global city.

As for the film crews, send them to Cliff Bells. One of the coolest bars anywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

Whether you like it or not chicago is most cetainly a world class city. It has anything any other city in the world has. It has history, commerce, culture the list goes on........

My loyalties are to detroit. But there is no doubt chicago is on of the worlds great cities.

Btw I have mixed thoughts on wiki.

Vivio's Eastern Market..Old Miami,Anchor Bar....Nancy Wiskeys for Music Sat night...and about 40 more

crawford Guest

Whether you like it or not chicago is most cetainly a world class city.
    Sorry, a wikipedia link claiming Chicago is world class isn't enough for me.
    It has anything any other city in the world has. It has history, commerce, culture the list goes on........
    Toledo has history, commerce and culture. So now it's world class?

I would assign much higher standards, like best in the world in something, or most important place on earth for something.

A world-class, first tier city would be a place like Tokyo, NYC, London, Paris, Moscow, Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Shanghai, Hong Kong, etc. It would be absurd to say Chicago belongs on such a list.
    My loyalties are to detroit. But there is no doubt chicago is on of the worlds great cities.
    Maybe one of the world's 40-50 greatest cities, but Chicago is definitely not among the very top.

Have you been to Spain? I am not 100% sure I would call Madrid a first-tier, world-class city, but Madrid makes most of Chicago look like Sterling Heights. Barcelona too.

I was in freakin Bogota not to long ago [[a very long way from a top-tier city), and, IMO, outside of NYC and Mexico City [[and maybe LA, if we take a liberal definition of city), there is no North American city that can compare.

ziggyselbin Guest

You may have your preferences but that does not mean chicago is not a world city.

There are many universities, museums, ethnic area's , foreign embassy's, as I said the list goes on. All things that define a world city.

I wonder why it is so important to you to deny what is obvious. Chicago is a world city by most objective measures.So what. I still love Detroit. But I am willing to acknowledge what is fairly obvious.

ziggyselbin Guest

You may have your preferences but that does not mean chicago is not a world city.

There are many universities, museums, ethnic area's , foreign embassy's, as I said the list goes on. All things that define a world city.

I wonder why it is so important to you to deny what is obvious. Chicago is a world city by most objective measures.So what. I still love Detroit. But I am willing to acknowledge what is fairly obvious.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have passed them along.

It is interesting to see how visitors view Detroit. Their impression is that "in the loop" is safe and fun.

Word of mouth travels fast, right or wrong.

By the way, there are more cities than Chicago that have a downtown loop.
    Last edited by East Detroit; September-01-09 at 07:51 PM.

That's a difference of opinion. I like Chicago, but I think it's burdened with the mission of being a WCC. Yeah, nice architecture, good downtown, good restaurants, fine bookstores, all the trappings of a WCC. But when it comes to culture, to my mind, Chicago is kind of ... lame? Imitative? Striving? A showplace for city as mall? Everything is shiny and costs money? All its bands try to do what other bands are doing, because they've got to be up-to-the-moment. Its art tends to be chi-chi and for the well-to-do. It lacks grit and character. Just my opinion: We produce more original culture in our backwater each year than they have since Carl Sandburg. And it's all because they've stagnated as a WCC for, as you put it, a "very, very, very long time."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast