Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Altes Beer is back

Altes beer, what I describe as the Towne Club of Detroit beers, is getting a second life joining Strohs and Sanders in Detroit-nostalgia relaunches. Not for the snobs, it was cheap beer that kept the working man high and once sponsored both the Tigers and the Lions.

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com/publ...reid=324c2407f

Name:  Altes.jpg
Views: 1853
Size:  56.9 KB

Ahhh yes, Altes. But does it still have that "Fassbier" taste?

Very exciting. Always wondered about the Fassbier taste. Where was the Altes Brewery?

Is Pfeiffer far behind?

If you ever tasted Black Label, its worse.....

If you ever tasted Black Label, its worse.....
    "Hey Mabel - "

That should be the new trending baby name of the 2020's.

And Eastside - nice collectable.
    Last edited by Bigb23; March-28-19 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Very exciting. Always wondered about the Fassbier taste. Where was the Altes Brewery?

Is Pfeiffer far behind?
    Folks drank it for a cheap high, not for taste. My recollection that it was generally bland and unremarkable--think Old Milwaukee or E & B, another forgettable flavor.

Name:  EandB-52287.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  73.2 KB

It's interesting that TJ's is brewing it. I knew they had one or two home brews going at any one time, sounds like they've since expanded.

The original sound unappetizing to me, but it sounds like they are making a darker, more full-bodied variation that might be good.

The Altes Brewery was located on Mack Avenue a few blocks east of Van Dyke. North side of Mack Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Folks drank it for a cheap high, not for taste. My recollection that it was generally bland and unremarkable--think Old Milwaukee or E & B, another forgettable flavor.

E & B Brew 103. Sort of like Goebel Private Stock 22.

Frankenmuth Bock beir anyone? I used to wait all year for those few weeks.

Used to drink Altes on tap at Ralphs Picture Bar on W Vernor just east of Central in sw back in the 80's. $3.00 a pitcher. What a deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Mack & Hurlbut. Many fun times in the keg room in the back with Detroit's finest, DFD, & the Detroit utility workers.

One day a week you could go in and buy shorts, either Altes or Colt 45, cheap. Very cheap.

It was here:

Designed by Mildner & Eisen. Tivoli Brewing Company Plant, 10131 Mack Avenue built in 1919 Detroit, MI.

Demolished: Date unknown to me
    It appears that the center section was the addition designed by Mildner & Eisen.
    Rendering from a 1910 edition of the Detroit Free Press.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's quite a beautiful brewery building. It's interesting to me how many breweries were built in that rather fanciful German schloss style, rather than a more utilitarian industrial style. The short-lived Koppitz Brewery down on the river was particularly striking as a sort of modern deco take on this style.

From what I remember though, by the time the Tivoli/Altes property [[the name changed in 1948) closed as part of the much larger National Brewing Co. in the late '60s the style of the expanded brewery had become much more bland and industrial.

Now if I can only find a bar that sells "little" ones for 15 cents and "big" ones for a quarter.

I remember the new word a friend created when I brought Altes home to a college apartment and he exclaimed, "Altes? That's subGoebel!"

I also remember it as tasteless, but cheap. This would have been in the mid-70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhouse View Post
    I remember the new word a friend created when I brought Altes home to a college apartment and he exclaimed, "Altes? That's subGoebel!"

I also remember it as tasteless, but cheap. This would have been in the mid-70's.

It did have that "Falsebier" taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    E & B, another forgettable flavor.

Ah yes, a family favorite. I remember my Dad and his buds working on some brow sweat project, then unwinding with a case of E&B long necks in the garage, out of that flip top box. Shooting-the-shit and cracking bad jokes. [[hereditary) After having a few, my Father would pop the top on one with a church key, get a stern look on his face, hand it to me and say "Don't tell your mother..." Good times. No one thought about turning me over to State Child Protection services.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-02-19 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Ah yes, a family favorite. I remember my Dad and his buds working on some brow sweat project, then unwinding with a case of E&B long necks in the garage, out of that flip top box. Shooting-the-shit and cracking bad jokes. [[hereditary) After having a few, my Father would pop the top on one with a church key, get a stern look on his face, hand it to me and say "Don't tell your mother..." Good times. No one thought about turning me over to State Child Protection services.
    When I was a teenager working at Mr. C's on East Warren, we used to sell cases and cases of the stuff. No one liked the taste - just a cheap high. I wonder if they'll make a "Fassbier IPA"?

My grandpa would drink this, probably because it was cheap and he didn't spend more money on things than he had to. When I was a kid he would let me smell his beer, but not drink it. I looked at the picture of the cans earlier in the thread and the smell came right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    "Hey Mabel - "

That should be the new trending baby name of the 2020's.

And Eastside - nice collectable.
    Carling was my go-to beer back in the day.

Default not only do clams got legs, clams can talk !

"Altes beer, delicious with seafood ..."
    https://youtu.be/vOSfpTN1QYo

Altes & Weidemann's [[sp) are the two cheap beers I remember. Both had a strong wheat taste to me, that never quite went away no matter how many you drank. Many bars featured a shell of either for 60 cents or so back in the 70's. Altes tall boys in a can were popular too. So was heading to the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Altes & Weidemann's [[sp) are the two cheap beers I remember. Both had a strong wheat taste to me, that never quite went away no matter how many you drank. Many bars featured a shell of either for 60 cents or so back in the 70's. Altes tall boys in a can were popular too. So was heading to the toilet.
    Wiedemann Beer - that's the one I was trying to remember. We preferred that to Altes. Both were the beers you bought when you were down to couch change.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast