Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default that's pure detroit

Riverfront Property In Detroit To Become A Big Parking Lot Under DTE Land Swap

"FCA said it needs DTE’s Conners Creek land for storage of vehicles for the Jeep plant to be built at Mack and St. Jean."

well isn't this trashy...
    Last edited by admin; March-28-19 at 11:26 AM.

What exactly is the purpose of this thread?

To complain that Detroit is wasting a golden redevelopment opportunity to bow down to the automaker, thus reinforcing the perennial image of the the rust belt GED autoworker town.

I thought the same thing at first, but they do need to store the new vehicles and at least they're not building the plant on the site. It's industrial space already and, on the bright side, a parking lot can easily be redeveloped in future when the plant closes.

Edit: On the other hand, I just read the both plants will have new test tracks. One would think they could locate either the test tracks or vehicle storage in a different location thereby freeing up riverfront land.
    Last edited by 401don; March-28-19 at 10:31 AM.

https://empoweringmichigan.com/envis...connors-creek/

Here is a link to the DTE site where they talk about wildlife returning and tout the redevelopment potential of this prime riverfront area. But let’s be optimistic; FCA could consult with a certain prominent local family about how to beautifully landscape a parking lot.

I have this nagging feeling that this will somehow allow DTE to get away with not environmentally remediating the site before it becomes capped with asphalt.

i mean...there's a perfectly acceptable precedent in our backyard, and shocker it's with a local developer

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor...75m_river.html

Let FCA pay for every drop of fluid that hits the soil.
    It should be triple lined to prevent catastrophes.
    Last edited by O3H; March-31-19 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    It should the triple lined to prevent catastrophes.
    New vehicles, I’ve heard FCA quality is not the best but hopefully they won’t leak too bad.

Detroit strikes land deal with Hantz Farms as part of FCA plant project

Hantz Farms LLC is buying 450 parcels of mostly vacant property from Detroit and the city's land bank as part of a deal to expand its urban tree nurseries on the lower east side, renovate up to 80 dilapidated homes and free up land Fiat Chrysler Automobiles needs for its Jeep assembly plant project.

Under a deal Hantz Farms has struck with Mayor Mike Duggan, Hantz will swap the city 37 parcels on Beniteau Street that are needed for stormwater retention and parking at FCA's Mack Avenue engine plants, which the automaker plans to convert into a new assembly plant.
    The Hantz deal is part of Duggan's larger effort to assemble 200 acres to subsidize FCA's $2.5 billion investment in automobile manufacturing around the Mack Avenue facilities and its Jefferson North Assembly Plant that's expected to create nearly 5,000 new jobs.

What's that site to look at subscribe only sites like Crain?

I buy used cars and never owned a used Chrysler or Dodge. I've wondered how they hold up long-term...?

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    It should be triple lined to prevent catastrophes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Just Google the title and click on the article in the results.

https://outline.com/

copy article link here

I buy used cars and never owned a used Chrysler or Dodge. I've wondered how they hold up long-term...?
    I have a Jeep Patriot with 62,000 miles and it is an unreliable money pit.
    My first Chrysler out of 27 cars in my life - never again!
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-18-19 at 06:10 AM.