Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default City-Wide Dangerous Detroit Buildings DEMO'D - Finally!

The old YMCA on Jefferson is on the list. Also, a wide-open abandoned school off the Southfield freeway [two bodies found inside recently], a collapsing large building on Linwood, etc.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...molition-list/

See below link of a large two-story building to be demo'd soon [8698 Linwood]:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/87...-83.10641!10e5
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-09-23 at 05:57 PM.

Still got a lot more to go.

I detest abandoned buildings. They must be demolished. Now!

Especially the larger structures and abandoned schools. Sitting wide open in some cases for decades. Beyond the obvious blight, and structural safety issues, too many have been used for serious crimes. A woman was found bound and murdered in one recently:

Kayla Sedoskey's body was found tied up and wrapped in a tarp with tape over her mouth at the abandoned Boysville Juvenile Detention Center in Frenchtown Township on March 2. The 22-year-old lived a few miles from where she was found dead.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/3-a...pped-in-a-tarp
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-09-23 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    It took decades for all these abandoned buildings to occur. The city has received hundreds of millions from all 3 levels of gov't and there's a lot more to do. You want them all gone - now!
    Are you willing to fork over the money - now!

Especially the larger structures and abandoned schools. Sitting wide open in some cases for decades. Beyond the obvious blight, and structural safety issues, too many have been used for serious crimes. A woman was found bound and murdered in one recently:

Kayla Sedoskey's body was found tied up and wrapped in a tarp with tape over her mouth at the abandoned Boysville Juvenile Detention Center in Frenchtown Township on March 2. The 22-year-old lived a few miles from where she was found dead.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/3-a...pped-in-a-tarp

There was another one where they found two deceased from a drug overdose,like if the building was not there then they would not be deceased.

The other videos all say that after the demolition the city is going after the building owners for reimbursement.

How exactly? If the buildings were purchased under an LLC or corporation name,the owners just bankrupt that corporation,you cannot go after them personally.

Hopefully the city will get into the mode of addressing the issues before they get to that point.

You have to admit the rona virus was a boon to cities with federal funding,it would have been tough raising the cash in order to do all of this.

I think sometimes living in Detroit has desensitized some of us to living amongst abandonment. While I don't particularly care that I live on the east side and have a relatively abandoned commercial strip at the end of my block, or the major east-side prairie just about a mile away, I have to constantly remind myself that it's relatively abnormal to live amongst such a concentration of abandonment.

Like most people in this country don't have a 4 story empty YMCA at one end of their block and 6 rotting empty homes at the other end of the block with a couple of perfectly livable homes in the middle. It is what it is but I think if you live here here by choice it's just something you become accustomed to, with very little afterthought.

Depends on how one looks at it.

It could be viewed as a city with an abundance of opportunity in buildings that need a little TLC.

The YMCA did not look horrible,the one that the wall was bowing out was actually a cool looking building.

The school district refused to sell the buildings for years and did little to secure them but as soon as federal money becomes available,they need to go.

Detroit is the poster city for demolition by neglect.

Indeed there is a level of desensitization going on. We're engaged within our own homes [four walls at it were] and have long grown used to what
    is sometimes feet away. Recently, I was on Blaine street off Linwood driving by a row of five [once beautiful] brick two-family flats completely stripped of their brickwork - down to the wood. Between that madness is an intact brick flat with bars on every window, a locked gate - fenced in all sides, heavy duty iron storm door, etc. Like someone holding it down to remain!

I have a new friend from a small town in Pennsylvania. She's incredulous that the abandonment's so high. She wasn't here before it started. Fresh eyes see what others don't. This has to impact Children growing up with this.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I think sometimes living in Detroit has desensitized some of us to living amongst abandonment...
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-10-23 at 01:41 PM.

Indeed there is a level of desensitization going on. We're engaged within our own homes [four walls at it were] and have long grown used to which is sometimes feet away. Recently, I was on Blaine street off Linwood driving by a row of five [[once beautiful) brick two-family flats completely stripped of their brickwork -- down to the wood. Between that madness was an intact brick flat with bars on every window, a locked gate / fenced in all sides, heavy duty iron storm door, etc. Like someone holding it down to remain!

I have a new friend from a small town in Pennsylvania. She's incredulous that the abandonment is so high. She wasn't here before it started. Fresh eyes see what others do not. This has to have an impact on Children growing up with this.
    100%. We travel often. My 7 year old asks questions all the time about why those cities do not really look like ours. It's young innocence but we're brutally honest about it with her. The school she attends is actually a rehabbed formerly abandoned DPS school, but directly in it's shadow is [[you guessed it) an even bigger abandoned former DPS school. You can never truly escape it.

Indeed there is a level of desensitization going on. We're engaged within our own homes [four walls at it were] and have long grown used to what
    is sometimes feet away. Recently, I was on Blaine street off Linwood driving by a row of five [once beautiful] brick two-family flats completely stripped of their brickwork - down to the wood. Between that madness is an intact brick flat with bars on every window, a locked gate - fenced in all sides, heavy duty iron storm door, etc. Like someone holding it down to remain!

I have a new friend from a small town in Pennsylvania. She's incredulous that the abandonment's so high. She wasn't here before it started. Fresh eyes see what others don't. This has to impact Children growing up with this.
    Pennsylvania has a high level of abandonment in its big cities,every major city does.

I moved to Orlando in 1980,the downtown was abandoned,South Beach in Miami was a strip of apartments and motels/hotels that not that long ago the rat pack used to hang out at,all became widowless scrapped out hulks,that was abandoned,crackheads and hookers were the only ones hanging out there.

I left Minneapolis in the late 70s,at that time you could buy whatever you wanted from the city for $1 because there was so much abandonment.

I am not saying Detroit does not have its share of abandonment,but nobody can hold it against the city because 20-30 years ago,just about every major city looked the same way.

Like I posted before,the only thing Detroit is guilty of is being a late bloomer,it does have its advantages though,because you can draw off of what worked and what did not in the other cities.

A lot of cities that claim to be something that Detroit should strive for,would have never been rebuilt had it not been for natural disasters that brought millions in fed funds.

Charleston is sought after,but even in the 90s you could not give away historical mansions downtown and they were all chopped up into rental units,you would not want to be caught out on the streets after dark.

Hurricane blew through,fed rebuilding funds flowed,those same mansions are now in the $4-$6 million range.

I bought in the neighborhood I live in now after the last crash,for pennies in the dollar,because it reassembled many neighborhoods in Detroit,many vacant lots,derelict and run down,I bought 2 houses each one was the only occupied house on each block.

Detroit does have a lot of catching up to do and it will get there,but the cities that people keep comparing her to,were just as bad not that long ago.

You have to take into account,20 years ago,all of these hustling and bustling cities that everybody is moving to,looked no different then Detroit does today.

There are a lot worse out there also.

Your steel mill moved to Gary Indiana,which makes Detroit look like Manhattan.

Parts of Chicago,Las Angles,Miami,Philadelphia,Washington DC,St Louis or any past industrial city in this country and you will not know if you are in Detroit or not.

The difference is,you guys are late bloomers,what is the excuse for the other cities.

They have been trying to accomplish for the last 20 - 30 years what you guys have achieved in less then 10.

Acknowledge it,deal with it but do not beat yourself up over it,because you are going through a cycle that pretty much every city in the world has gone through and still is.

15 years ago even Liverpool in the UK would have made the Detroit of today look like a model city.

NYC in the 70s and 80s for the most part looked a hell of a lot worse then Detroit.

This thread actually ties in with the other one about the woman that left for DC,what is happening across the country is a reversal of white flight.

I will repeat the words that a downtown developer said to protesters in St Petersburg Fl as they were holding a press conference,the protesters were there because all the new development was forcing the long term residents out.

He told them - When the downtown was decrepit,nobody wanted to live there but now after private enterprise spent billions making it nice,people want to live there while paying the same rents as they did or would have under the undesirable conditions.

With all of the abandonment and the opportunity it brings,it still confuses me when people say they are being forced out,Detroit is probably the only city left in the county that shows a promising future where if you are still renting,you really need to be accessing life choices.
    Last edited by Richard; April-10-23 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Pennsylvania has a high level of abandonment in its big cities,every major city does.

I moved to Orlando in 1980,the downtown was abandoned,South Beach in Miami was a strip of apartments and motels/hotels that not that long ago the rat pack used to hang out at,all became widowless scrapped out hulks,that was abandoned,crackheads and hookers were the only ones hanging out there.

I left Minneapolis in the late 70s,at that time you could buy whatever you wanted from the city for $1 because there was so much abandonment.

I am not saying Detroit does not have its share of abandonment,but nobody can hold it against the city because 20-30 years ago,just about every major city looked the same way.

Like I posted before,the only thing Detroit is guilty of is being a late bloomer,it does have its advantages though,because you can draw off of what worked and what did not in the other cities.

A lot of cities that claim to be something that Detroit should strive for,would have never been rebuilt had it not been for natural disasters that brought millions in fed funds.

Charleston is sought after,but even in the 90s you could not give away historical mansions downtown and they were all chopped up into rental units,you would not want to be caught out on the streets after dark.

Hurricane blew through,fed rebuilding funds flowed,those same mansions are now in the $4-$6 million range.

Detroit does have a lot of catching up to do and it will get there,but the cities that people keep comparing her to,were just as bad not that long ago.
    Of course other cities had abandonment but none on the scale of Detroit. No other major city lost close to two-thirds of its population, not to mention almost all of its retail and manufacturing.

^ you must be young or do not get out much,every single one horse manufacturing/industrial town or city in the country went though that,many smaller cities do not even exist anymore and just as many will never recover.

They did not coin the phrase- The rust belt - because only Detroit lost population and retail and manufacturing.

St Louis beat out Detroit in population loss,64.7 % compared to Detroits 63.6%

plenty of other cities are 58% and above in population loss and everything else that came with it.

Cleveland lost 58%,is it really in that much better shape then Detroit when you take into account it had less of a loss? Some would argue,No it is not.

When it all started Detroit was one of the only major cities,so using the term - Major City is a bit sketchy,so you use percentage of population loss as a guide because all of the metrics are the same in every case.

It does not matter if you have a city of 1 million or 5 even losing 50% will still give to the same devastation ratios.

Detroit is used as an example because it has a name that is recognizable to a world wide audience,no fun saying St Louis is worse when a majority of the world has never heard of it or can relate to it.

New Orleans lost 80% of its population after Hurricane Katrina,if you want to see long entrenched devastation and the impact of,take a drive there.
    Last edited by Richard; April-10-23 at 06:33 PM.