Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Incinerator shuttering

source

end of an era

Detroit Renewable Energy LLC is closing the long-troubled and odor-emitting trash incinerator in Detroit, switching to lower-cost natural gas to generate energy for producing steam heat for more than 100 buildings from downtown to New Center.Todd Grzech, CEO of Detroit Renewable Energy, said the trash-burning plant will cease operations Wednesday afternoon and about 150 employees who work there will be given layoff notices.
    Detroit Renewable Energy will shift all of its existing steam heating to its four-boiler natural gas plant — known as the Beacon plant — adjacent to Ford Field, Grzech said.

Default Detroit trash to energy 'InStinkerator' shutting down

It doesn't seem that long ago that I was protesting its construction. Time flies. Happy ending begins on Wednesday. Sorry for the workers but this will be a big plus for the surrounding neighborhood residents.
    Name:  instinkerator.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  61.8 KB

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/energy...-shutting-down

Ha! Hybridy beat me by 2 minutes! Good news travels fast up in here. Shouldn't have spent time placing the image. Threads merged.

Good riddance to that instink-erator.

Glad its going. How much of the smell driving on I-75 is from the incinerator vs the Marathon plant? Will the smell be gone completely or is most of the smell on I-75 due to the Marathon plant?

We all knew this day was coming.

Its whole reason for existence went away after the city outsourced trash/bulk collection.

Rot in Piss.

Sorry for the lost jobs, but fuck that thing.

This is fantastic news. Good riddance to a bad idea from the last century.

NG is cheaper than free trash that has to be disposed of one way or another?

Quote Originally Posted by M. Brown View Post
    Glad its going. How much of the smell driving on I-75 is from the incinerator vs the Marathon plant? Will the smell be gone completely or is most of the smell on I-75 due to the Marathon plant?
    The smell of rotting garbage [[that would gag a maggot) at I-75 [[Chrysler) & I-94 interchange is from the incinerator garbage waiting to be burned. In the summer months this reeks to high heaven.

Anthing towards I-75 [[Fisher) and Rouge River Bridge is from the Marathon refinery.

OK... I have a question... when I read about Sweden... and their greening of their environment... they use incinerators to eliminate their refuse... so far as importing garbage from Britain as well to burn... and eliminating trash landfills....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-...ralia/10115694

https://energynews.us/2013/10/17/mid...little-debate/

So what is considered "green"... incinerating garbage and turning it into energy? Or dumping it into landfills??

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    OK... I have a question... when I read about Sweden... and their greening of their environment... they use incinerators to eliminate their refuse... so far as importing garbage from Britain as well to burn... and eliminating trash landfills....
    So what is considered "green"... incinerating garbage and turning it into energy? Or dumping it into landfills??
    I read something recently about incinerators for trash being the new 'green' thing. I wonder if Detroit was just ahead of the curve? Perhaps the new incinerators are much better?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-...ralia/10115694

https://energynews.us/2013/10/17/mid...little-debate/

I have heard the same debate about refuse incineration.

The difference seems to be capital improvements to the incinerators using the best technology available to keep it a clean process.

Money is always in short supply around here. Economic feasibility and efficiency have to be weighed.

If something can not be done correctly, there is no reason to do it the wrong way. It is a waste of critical resources.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; March-27-19 at 05:36 PM.

I think waste to energy plants are great, they just shouldn't be built right in the middle of a populated area.

I think maybe management of resources and materials is an issue. Why is/was stuff sitting in piles? Why wasn't it loaded on a 'just in time' basis. Stuff doesn't sit for more than a day or two at at the most before it's burned. Too much stuff? Get a bigger oven. Or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I think waste to energy plants are great, they just shouldn't be built right in the middle of a populated area.
    This. The thing is literally a hot mess. While the concept is ok, it shouldn’t be anywhere near a populated area. A better choice would be to consider placing this in some rural area up north that is in need of jobs.

I wonder how much pressure was applied by developers in New Center, Milwaukee Junction and North End. It was a huge detriment to that effort and while the bulk of the stink and smoke descended on the impoverished areas east of the plant, like the devastated Chene corridor, it still stunk up areas to the west 15-20% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Ha! Hybridy beat me by 2 minutes! Good news travels fast up in here. Shouldn't have spent time placing the image. Threads merged.
    Facepalm...

What I find interesting about this is that both the big late 20th century projects for that area are both now closing: the GM plant and the incinerator.

I find it interesting because I'm inclined to believe that if those things were never built, the neighborhood would be a lot more intact right now and ripe for redevelopment.

I'd say I'm thankful that the terrible "let's destroy huge swaths of our cities and build something big and weird there and hope something good happens" movement is dead and gone but then there is the Illitches. How is that District Detroit working out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I think maybe management of resources and materials is an issue. Why is/was stuff sitting in piles? Why wasn't it loaded on a 'just in time' basis. Stuff doesn't sit for more than a day or two at at the most before it's burned. Too much stuff? Get a bigger oven. Or another.
    Exactly what I am saying in different words Meddle.

Who the hell has an extra half billion dollars to buy more ovens to burn garbage for the City of Detroit? Have people who think like this been living on Mars for last decade? The whole God Damn state can’t scrape together a couple billion to fix up its roads but buying more of the most expensive solid waste solutions known to man is a good idea? For Detroit? Did anyone else hear about the bankruptcy around here? That financial disaster at 94 & 75 has been a money pit on large scale for decades. Now people think we need more of them? What do they think Detroit can afford? As much as Sweden can?

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    This. The thing is literally a hot mess. While the concept is ok, it shouldn’t be anywhere near a populated area. A better choice would be to consider placing this in some rural area up north that is in need of jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Right, somebody else's back yard, not mine. Send my stinky stuff from my house to some clean place out in the country and ruin that too.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Exactly what I am saying in different words Meddle.

Who the hell has an extra half billion dollars to buy more ovens to burn garbage for the City of Detroit?
    No, we're not saying even close to the same thing. I'm saying it should be there, in the community that generates the trash, to generate power for that community. There is no reason an oven should be that expensive. They used one at Southfield and Fullerton for many years. Might still be there for all I know.

And I'm saying if you don't like the smell of trash you create, don't waste so much. But whatever you do, don't push it off on others, out in the less spoiled rural areas ... up north somewhere, where they 'need jobs'.

Deal with your own damn trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Right, somebody else's back yard, not mine. Send my stinky stuff from my house to some clean place out in the country and ruin that too.

No, we're not saying even close to the same thing. I'm saying it should be there, in the community that generates the trash, to generate power for that community. There is no reason an oven should be that expensive. They used one at Southfield and Fullerton for many years. Might still be there for all I know.

And I'm saying if you don't like the smell of trash you create, don't waste so much. But whatever you do, don't push it off on others, out in the less spoiled rural areas ... up north somewhere, where they 'need jobs'.

Deal with your own damn trash.
    Right. Screw financial sense. We don’t need a lick of it around here. Nope, not ever.

Meanwhile back up north... the Canadians are dumping their trash here because it’s so fucking cheap. Have been doing it for decades. But hey don’t miss a chance to fuck over Detroit with something they can’t possibly afford and has already been proven a financial failure. Repeat mistakes of the past. Maybe Michigan can kick in even more cash next time when the city is in federal bankruptcy court. You figure?

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post

Meanwhile back up north... the Canadians are dumping their trash here because it’s so fucking cheap. Have been doing it for decades.
    I wouldn't allow that either. Trash shouldn't be transported more than 100 miles, and never across a state line. Deal with it locally, or don't make it.

Same thing with LBrooksey's passing his hoity toity toidy stuff off to Macomb's waterways.

Do I recall correctly that Kevyn Orr signed a contract to supply GM's Hamtramck plant with energy generated at the Detroit Incinerator? Does
    the possible January, 2020 closing of Hamtramck Assembly contribute to the welcome demise of the Detroit incinerator?

Do we have a trash crisis in the US? In the past, we sold much trash to Chinese brokers. The Chinese stopped that about a year ago and then
    Thailand and India banned US trash.

What are we going to do with trash? Philadelphia is starting to burn their trash in an incinerator in Chester. Is it a "clean" incinerator?

I have heard that burning trash is a major source of energy in Denmark.
    Do they have modern pollution free plants to burn trash? If so, why
    arn't hedge funds investing in new trash burning plants in the US to be
    located in Opportunity Zones where there will be no capital gains taxes?

The trash contractor for my suburb, Grosse Pointe Woods, advised the community today to expect delays with trash collection since their trucks will have to travel much farther to empty their loads. What other local communities were using this facility?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast