Restoration at Woodward and Baltimore in Detroit
DETROIT SQUARE WINNING DESIGN »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Lol. Someone obviously doesn't believe in the old proverb: a chain is only as strong as the weakest link.
    OC was not a part of the Detroit "chain" - they saw what was happening - the city had been seized by a race-baiting huckster and everyone who could was running away screaming in terror. CAY antagonized everyone whom he needed to help revive the city because he didn't give a shit about his own people - he just wanted power.

The sad part of it is, the ones that got hurt the most were the poor folks in Detroit who had no way to escape.

I know all about this - I grew up on the east side and we got out, others (some of them my friends) couldn't get out.

You talk about the "chain" - where was the outstretched hand of friendship from CAY? Its a two-way street, man.

Quote Originally Posted by takascar View Post
    OC was not a part of the Detroit "chain" - they saw what was happening - the city had been seized by a race-baiting huckster and everyone who could was running away screaming in terror. CAY antagonized everyone whom he needed to help revive the city because he didn't give a shit about his own people - he just wanted power.

The sad part of it is, the ones that got hurt the most were the poor folks in Detroit who had no way to escape.

I know all about this - I grew up on the east side and we got out, others (some of them my friends) couldn't get out.

You talk about the "chain" - where was the outstretched hand of friendship from CAY? Its a two-way street, man.
    This thread isnt about Coleman Young.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    This thread isnt about Coleman Young.
    Perhaps it is not about Young. But Takascar's words are still true nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Perhaps it is not about Young.
    Exactly. Staying on topic shouldn't be rocket science.

If one wants to discuss anything or anyone other than LBP/OC, they can go and create their own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Exactly. Staying on topic shouldn't be rocket science.

If one wants to discuss anything or anyone other than LBP/OC, they can go and create their own thread.
    Maybe some people just don't want to hear the truth. That's what I think this comment means

The generation that clings to this delusional worldview about our region and its history and problems is dying out and no longer holds too much political power around here. At the same time, the region seems to be benefiting from nascent economic growth. Coincidence? Probably not.

OC has NO responsibility to any other part of the region when it comes to prosperity.

Prosperity is about PERSONAL (and community) RESPONSIBILITY of those who wish to be prosperous. 99% of your successes or failures are due to WHAT YOU DO OR FAIL TO DO, not what others do.
    How do you reconcile these two statements when applied to Oakland County? Are you saying that Oakland County's community responsibility ends at the borders of Oakland County? How do you reconcile that with the interdependence of the other communities in the region?

Maybe some people just don't want to hear the truth. That's what I think this comment means
    No, it means you're being rude to other readers with your attempt to hijack the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    The generation that clings to this delusional worldview about our region and its history and problems is dying out and no longer holds too much political power around here. At the same time, the region seems to be benefiting from nascent economic growth. Coincidence? Probably not.
    The generation that did not live through the era in question continues the attempt to revise history to suit their delusional political viewpoint.

The generation that did not live through the era in question continues the attempt to revise history to suit their delusional political viewpoint.
    The opposite is true. Your cartoonish depiction of CAY is not rooted in anything remotely factual. White flight from Detroit was actually greater pre-CAY.

And I'm speaking as someone who strongly disagrees with the (almost as absurd) depiction of LBP in this thread.

...where was the outstretched hand of friendship from CAY? Its a two-way street, man.
    WTF?! Did you want a fucking lollipop for living in Detroit? What hand of friendship were you expecting to receive?

Where was the outstretched hand of friendship from Cobo? Mariani? Hell, even Cavanagh?

IT'S A TWO WAY STREET?!?!?! FFS. Get your head of your large, ego filled ass.

Y'all grey hairs hate CAY. We get it. Shut up. He's dead. No one thinks about him anymore except you and anytime his son pops up but even then we all groan and roll our eyes at him because we know we're past that.

And now when LBP dies, we know his beliefs will begin to die off too and we already know his power is already waning. And then we get to fix what he broke: trust between the counties in order to regionally cooperate and make Metro Detroit competitive on the world stage.

Nonsense. Oakland County has no unique regional infrastructure asset (bridge, train hub, port, airport) or physical feature (waterfront) that makes it necessary to the region. Its existence is entirely made possible by things that are not in Oakland County.
    Last edited by iheartthed; April-03-19 at 11:32 AM.

Oakland is not special, neither was Lewis Brooks Patterson.
    In fact they never built infrastructure, like Waste Water Treatment Plants.
    Talk about being a selfish cheap damn prick.

It has one in Pontiac, and that's it.
    All those lakes , 5 rivers, all that water and they throw shit,
    across the borders of the county, instead of into their own water systems.

POLLUTING all around them, because they were too damn cheap !!!!!
    Yet they want drinking water from Lake Huron , from the north.

Last edited by O3H; April-03-19 at 11:44 AM.

Nonsense. Oakland County has no unique regional infrastructure asset (bridge, train hub, port, airport) or physical feature (waterfront) that makes it necessary to the region. Its existence is entirely made possible by things that are not in Oakland County.
    I would disagree in that it does have Somerset Collection. But of course it would because it represents the height of materialistic, consumerist culture as well as a hyper-focus on auto-centric developments found in most suburban locales.

^^^ And an Apple store! ----
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-03-19 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I would disagree in that it does have Somerset Collection. But of course it would because it represents the height of materialistic, consumerist culture as well as a hyper-focus on auto-centric developments found in most suburban locales.
    Somerset, like Oakland County, only exists because of the regional assets that are mostly in Wayne County. There is no major international airport in Oakland County for business executives to get directly to/from Europe, Asia, and South America. There is no rail hub in Oakland County that imports/exports goods into and out of the region. There is not a bridge or tunnel that connects Oakland County to America's biggest trading partner. Oakland County doesn't even have direct access to a major waterway.

Ridiculous. Oakland is the state's wealth center specifically because of the unique topography/hydrology and Cranbrook. The wealth in Bloomfield Hills isn't a random thing. It's all centered around Cranbrook, and the hills around Rouge tributaries.

And you have the relationship reversed. Downtown/Midtown are recovering because they've successfully leveraged regional wealth and resources. Gilbert lives in Franklin, the stadia and concert/cultural facilities are overwhelmingly patronized/funded by suburbanites, the regional decisionmakers made a conscious decision to save the core by concentrating regional functions in a small geography.
    Last edited by Bham1982; April-03-19 at 02:07 PM.

I lived in, lived near or worked in the city during all of CAY terms in office. In my opinion he completely decimated the city. After the riot, but before he was elected the first time, the city and its neighborhoods were a great place to live. By the time he was finally out of office, the neighborhoods looked pretty much as they do now. It was downhill at a fairly rapid pace and he kept getting re elected during it all. Was the decline of the city all his fault with no other factors involved? Of course not. Do I think his leadership as mayor during this period was terrible, yes I do.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I lived in, lived near or worked in the city during all of CAY terms in office. In my opinion he completely decimated the city. After the riot, but before he was elected the first time, the city and its neighborhoods were a great place to live. By the time he was finally out of office, the neighborhoods looked pretty much as they do now. It was downhill at a fairly rapid pace and he kept getting re elected during it all. Was the decline of the city all his fault with no other factors involved? Of course not. Do I think his leadership as mayor during this period was terrible, yes I do.
    What does any of that have to do with the thread topic (LBP)?

GOP Recruits for Patterson successor...

https://www.pressreader.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The opposite is true. Your cartoonish depiction of CAY is not rooted in anything remotely factual. White flight from Detroit was actually greater pre-CAY.

And I'm speaking as someone who strongly disagrees with the (almost as absurd) depiction of LBP in this thread.
    My “cartoonish depiction of CAY.....”??? I have not said or done anything to depict Coleman. You make no sense.

I’ll leave you with two things on which to ruminate: (Trigger warning) Donald Trump is making America great. And, SHE LOST.

My “cartoonish depiction of CAY.....”??? I have not said or done anything to depict Coleman. You make no sense.

I’ll leave you with two things on which to ruminate: (Trigger warning) Donald Trump is making America great. And, SHE LOST.
    Let me bring you up to the present.... And Nancy Pelosi WON AS SPEAKER!! There I fixed that for you....

Let's go International - Theresa May to seek an extension from the EU

Universal maybe, cover all those bases, why not. Who's hot on Pluto
    tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Curious your basis for the 'rate of flight'.

Regardless, not sure whether 'rate of flight' before, during, or after CAY means much. There was flight before, during, and after of course.

We certainly know that most suburbanites (in those days) were moving out from the City. The forces driving the overall growth of the metro were causing 'flight' -- if you wish to use that pejorative term. But much of it was just what most would call 'growth' (or if you prefer sprawl).

Your post suggests that CAY may have slowed down the move to the 'burbs' (higher to lower rate). This seems unlikely to me -- as someone who mainly watched others flee -- with attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Curious your basis for the 'rate of flight'.

Regardless, not sure whether 'rate of flight' before, during, or after CAY means much. There was flight before, during, and after of course.

We certainly know that most suburbanites (in those days) were moving out from the City. The forces driving the overall growth of the metro were causing 'flight' -- if you wish to use that pejorative term. But much of it was just what most would call 'growth' (or if you prefer sprawl).

Your post suggests that CAY may have slowed down the move to the 'burbs' (higher to lower rate). This seems unlikely to me -- as someone who mainly watched others flee -- with attitude.
    He didn't slow down the decline. But he also obviously wasn't the cause of Detroit's population decline. The city's population had already declined by well over 300,000 by the time CAY took office. The biggest decline did come in the 1970s, but it is hard to attribute that solely to CAY, because it coincided with a very bad recession. All of Detroit's steepest declines coincide with a recession.

1950 - 1960: -179,424 (-9.7%)
    1960 - 1970: -156,081 (-9.3%)
    1970 - 1980: -310,695 (-20.5%) *CAY elected in 1973
    1980 - 1990: -175,394 (-14.6%)
    1990 - 2000: -76,704 (-7.5%)
    2000 - 2010: -237,493 (-25%)

I think the bigger question is why there was so much excess housing added in a region with no population growth? And did this contribute to regional economic stagnation? That's an academic discussion, not political.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast