Restoration of the Michigan Central Depot
MICHIGAN CENTRAL RESTORATION PROGRESSES »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 154
  1. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I mean had we invested in mass transit all along maybe Detroit and Wayne County would've been in better shape to weather economic downturns. Oakland County could be many times more wealthy and prosperous than it is currently. That's how much of an impact mass transit has on local economies. Now I know LBP has been in his post since 92, but he's had ample time to support regional transit in which we could've produced something better than we have now. But no.
    The lack of cooperation on some form of regional transit--particularly something more substantial than bus routes--is disappointing. Fixed forms of transit in other cities have proven to be magnets for economic activity.

    Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    It's also surprising to me how shocked some people are that other people don't care to memorialize him. He's made flat out racist statements. He openly hated Detroit. He was a stubborn man that was only special because he "told it like it is" (gee, sound familiar). Any true moderate GOP executive could've managed Oakland County and produced the same results, especially had they been more regionally minded.
    What seems to be forgotten is that Patterson's animus toward Detroit was often a response to the combative nature of the guy on the other side of 8 mile, who was incessantly critical of the "hostile suburbs." Yes, some of Patterson's policies promote county isolationism; but, his basic premise has been that it's not Oakland County's responsibility to subsidize the rest of the region.

  2. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongGone06 View Post
    What seems to be forgotten is that Patterson's animus toward Detroit was often a response to the combative nature of the guy on the other side of 8 mile, who was incessantly critical of the "hostile suburbs".
    "The guy on the other side of 8 mile" has been dead for over 20 years and hasn't been in office for 25 years.

    Furthermore, regardless of the derangement some people have over him, "the guy on the other side of 8 mile" deserves the same type of credit that some in this thread have given to LBP. He devoted his life to the service of the city, he was (for the most part) well-liked by his constituents, he kept a balanced budget and he was never indicted for corruption.

  3. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    regardless of the derangement some people have over him, "the guy on the other side of 8 mile" deserves the same type of credit that some in this thread have given to LBP. He devoted his life to the service of the city, he was (for the most part) well-liked by his constituents, he kept a balanced budget and he was never indicted for corruption.
    I don't disagree with any of that. He was well liked and had a better relationship with the business community than many people realize. He presided over the city at a time when most major cities in this country were experiencing population loss and disinvestment. The most significant 10-year population loss for Detroit occurred after he left office, not during.

    I met the man once and found him to be engaging and very charismatic. It left me with a much different impression of him. My point, however, was that he and Patterson had a combative relationship that was often played out in the media.

  4. #29

    Default

    “I made a prediction a long time ago, and it’s come to pass. I said, ‘What we’re gonna do is turn Detroit into an Indian reservation, where we herd all the Indians into the city, build a fence around it, and then throw in the blankets and corn.’ ”

    - L. Brooks Patterson

    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/01/27/drop-dead-detroit
    A bigoted comment that was probably socially acceptable, if not politically correct, in 1974. But he said it in 2014, when he had no excuse not to know better.

    I don't dance on graves, but plenty of evidence on the public record suggests he was trash.

  5. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    A bigoted comment that was probably socially acceptable, if not politically correct, in 1974. But he said it in 2014, when he had no excuse not to know better.

    I don't dance on graves, but plenty of evidence on the public record suggests he was trash.

    That's not the scary part. The scary part is the people that live under his leadership, kept reelecting him over, and over, and over... What does that tell you?

  6. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongGone06 View Post
    I don't disagree with any of that. He was well liked and had a better relationship with the business community than many people realize. He presided over the city at a time when most major cities in this country were experiencing population loss and disinvestment. The most significant 10-year population loss for Detroit occurred after he left office, not during.

    I met the man once and found him to be engaging and very charismatic. It left me with a much different impression of him. My point, however, was that he and Patterson had a combative relationship that was often played out in the media.
    I got your point, but my overarching point is that Patterson's behavior over the last 20+ years should not be excused when the person he harbored animus towards has long been out of political office and dead.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-27-19 at 11:27 AM.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    I have made a note of your execrable hateful comments. One day when cancer, AIDS or some other horrible malady comes knocking on your door I will remember to say the same things about you. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.
    Did you just crawl out of 1980? HIV is extremely manageable today and nobody in the developed world dies from it. Brooks wishes he had HIV instead stage 4 panc cancer.

    I'll rejoice in the death and probable death of a racist any day especially in the Detroit area. I don't need your approval.

  8. #33

    Default

    He is done!!!

  9. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    Did you just crawl out of 1980? HIV is extremely manageable today and nobody in the developed world dies from it. Brooks wishes he had HIV instead stage 4 panc cancer.

    I'll rejoice in the death and probable death of a racist any day especially in the Detroit area. I don't need your approval.
    ^This. Over and over and over again. Let me buy you a beer, Sir (or Ma'am).

  10. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    That's not the scary part. The scary part is the people that live under his leadership, kept reelecting him over, and over, and over... What does that tell you?
    It doesn't tell me anything that I didn't already know. People elected and re-elected Jim Crow segregationists, too.

  11. #36

    Default

    Good luck, LBP.

  12. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    Did you just crawl out of 1980? HIV is extremely manageable today and nobody in the developed world dies from it. Brooks wishes he had HIV instead stage 4 panc cancer.

    I'll rejoice in the death and probable death of a racist any day especially in the Detroit area. I don't need your approval.
    Listen son, my remarks flew right over your head and frankly that does not surprise me in the least.

    You are correct that you do not need my approval. And that is fine because you most certainly do not have it.

    Please be sure to notify the public when you are diagnosed with a devastating and incurable disease so that I, and others, can publicly post immature, reprehensible and disgusting comments about you for your friends and loved ones, that is if you have any, to see. Again, you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

  13. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    I'll rejoice in the death and probable death of a racist any day especially in the Detroit area. I don't need your approval.
    And what makes you any different than the "racists?" You hate because of someone's ideas, and you justify your hatred with a sense of moral superiority; yet, you both hate, just for different reasons.

  14. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongGone06 View Post
    And what makes you any different than the "racists?" You hate because of someone's ideas, and you justify your hatred with a sense of moral superiority; yet, you both hate, just for different reasons.
    If there is one thing there is too much of in this country and world, it is indeed hate.

    He was a buffoon and I'm probably one of his biggest detractors but I wish him well on his journey. I just read that he lost his son years ago and it made me very sad. I hope he finds some peace and enlightenment either in what remains of this life for him or whatever happens after it.

  15. #40

    Default

    Very well said Poobert... I agree...

  16. #41

    Default

    ^^^ I concur. It's a bit simplistic to say so-called karma is ones punishment, as we see that illness can befall anyone, young or old.

    Especially cancer and microbes which really don't care much about your politics per se... As my grandma used to state: "You know how you came in, you don't know how you're going out."

  17. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Well it only took eleven posts ...
    And it only too 25 posts to get to the 'T' word.

    Transit, transit, transit, all good things come from transit, no bad ever came from transit, we need more transit, if only there were more transit, nothing bad would have happened, everyone in every home in the city and everywhere close would be millionaires if only we had transit, transit, transit ....

  18. #43

    Default

    What does his desire to finish his term say about his priorities? I get the impression that he needs to feed his ego with status and power. That's what has driven him all these years. That his ego takes precedence over spending time with his family. He has money, power and status. I don't understand why anyone would want to remain at work at this point.

    I know of someone in an administrative position who was arrogant and egotistical. He got cancer and fought it for a year or two. He refused to leave his position when he became deathly ill. Three days before he died, the staff told him to GO HOME and spend some time with your WIFE. I think they were afraid he was going to die at the office.

    I think both individuals defined their life by their work because they really didn't have a life. That's pretty sad. I work to live but I don't live to work.

  19. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ I concur. It's a bit simplistic to say so-called karma is ones punishment, as we see that illness can befall anyone, young or old.

    Especially cancer and microbes which really don't care much about your politics per se... As my grandma used to state: "You know how you came in, you don't know how you're going out."
    I agree Zacha341, we all know cancer can happen to anybody, young or old.

    I lost two cousins to cancer, one in 2016, age 61, the other in 2017, age 58. They were sisters, passed less than a year apart.

    I’m not an Oakland county resident, but I wish LBP well.

  20. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    And it only too 25 posts to get to the 'T' word.

    Transit, transit, transit, all good things come from transit, no bad ever came from transit, we need more transit, if only there were more transit, nothing bad would have happened, everyone in every home in the city and everywhere close would be millionaires if only we had transit, transit, transit ....
    We can talk about his fetish with unsustainable urban sprawl as well if you like.

  21. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Listen son,
    Ahhh, there's Sy's Boomer condescension we all know and love.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    We can talk about his fetish with unsustainable urban sprawl as well if you like.
    Except Oakland isn't more sprawly or unsustainable than the other Metro Detroit counties.

    I think a pretty strong argument can be made that Oakland is, in fact, more walkable, urban and transit oriented than its suburban equivalents. Western Wayne and Macomb are generally more oriented towards endless monotonous sprawlscapes, though some of that has to do with flatter topography and fewer lakes.

    Most of the desirable, semi-walkable, quasi-urban geographies of Metro Detroit are in Oakland.

  23. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Except Oakland isn't more sprawly or unsustainable than the other Metro Detroit counties.

    I think a pretty strong argument can be made that Oakland is, in fact, more walkable, urban and transit oriented than its suburban equivalents. Western Wayne and Macomb are generally more oriented towards endless monotonous sprawlscapes, though some of that has to do with flatter topography and fewer lakes.

    Most of the desirable, semi-walkable, quasi-urban geographies of Metro Detroit are in Oakland.
    More walkable than Macomb, less than western Wayne, unless you're talking about west of I-275.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    More walkable than Macomb, less than western Wayne, unless you're talking about west of I-275.
    I'm not clear how Livonia or Westland are more walkable than Southfield or Farmington, or how Dearborn or Redford are more walkable than Ferndale or Royal Oak.

    I think, if you asked people, most would agree the Woodward corridor communities are generally the most walkable.

  25. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I'm not clear how Livonia or Westland are more walkable than Southfield or Farmington, or how Dearborn or Redford are more walkable than Ferndale or Royal Oak.

    I think, if you asked people, most would agree the Woodward corridor communities are generally the most walkable.
    Other than being more affluent, there really isn't much about the built form that distinguishes them as more walkable than places like Dearborn, Wyandotte, River Rouge, etc. All of these places were developed around the same time and subject to the same technological limitations.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES! [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.