Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    No, I'm not. 6 buses, 3 different agencies, in one spot, on one 17 mile route, with a total of 14 riders. I see this scenario daily, not just this one time. There it is, the transit system is already there, in place, tax money has been and continues to be shelled out for it, and few are using it. The rest is rhetoric.
    Exactly. I'm not saying you're wrong that you might've seen these buses. You're wrong that that's a good enough reason to rid the world of the "scourge of public transit". It's not. You're wrong.

I'm not saying "I think you are wrong" or "IMO, you're wrong." You're just plain wrong. Period. No opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Exactly. You're wrong.
    No, I'm not wrong, you just feel bad because your bubble's been burst. It always ends up the same. "Why I'd be happy to use mass transit, if only they'd...." and everyone has their own excuse of what it would take to get people to participate, whether they want to or not.

No, I'm not wrong, you just feel bad because your bubble's been burst. It always ends up the same. "Why I'd be happy to use mass transit, if only they'd...." and everyone has their own excuse of what it would take to get people to participate, whether they want to or not.
    LOLOLOLOL. Yes, you are. There is no bubble burst. "Empty buses" don't prove shit.

And exactly, I've told you if you don't wish to to participate in an urban society, you're more than welcome to move up north. But for the time being, we'll plan our roads and transit whether you like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Plan on sitting in your car, going slow, for a long time,
    all over town , even on the main streets.
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...rt/3275494002/
    So you're saying essentially with the highway out of commission during these construction periods, surface streets are going to be gridlocked?

But I thought removing the highways will enable less traffic! snark snark lol

What does it cost to buy each bus? What does it cost to run each bus, fuel, maintenance, driver? How much is it to ride a bus one way?
    Depending on the size, a bus can cost btwn $300-400K for public transit busses. Operating costs will vary with each agency. To ride a SMART bus with no pass, it's $4.00 one way. With a montly pass, it's $2.20 per day. If you get a senior or handicapper pass, it's $2.50 per month.

We're a house divided. My husband faithfully takes the bus everywhere he can. He has always hated to drive, especially now with so many inattentive drivers on their phones, people thinking STOP signs are just suggestions, etc. I on the other hand prefer to drive everywhere. [[Although, I've never worked where there is a bus route nearby.) I don't ever want to give up my car. However, I can see the value in the bus service. I've ridden the 261 FAST bus with my husband a few times. Every time I've been on it, it's been pretty full of riders. Some people really need it. Some people just prefer it.

As well, if midtown and downtown wish to build up that means more people will be coming in and out every day, living, working, and visiting. Let's say for a moment, everyone had cars. Do any of us realize how much traffic that would induce along Woodward, Cass, and the freeways?

When Hudson skyscraper opens up, do we realize how many suburbanites will be looking to come downtown and take a gander? How many jobs and visitors and inhabitants that tower will have?

While I know we don't have the rush hour/traffic of LA, Chicago, or Toronto, congestion will become a big issue.

Transit, especially in Detroit, is supposed to augment a city. To get the greatest maximum amount of people around. Cars do not do this. On average you might be able to carry 4 people around, but for the most part it's just us. One person. Then the space you need to park it. Let it sit empty. Wasting space and always depreciating in value. Cars are extremely inefficient.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Depending on the size, a bus can cost btwn $300-400K for public transit busses. Operating costs will vary with each agency. To ride a SMART bus with no pass, it's $4.00 one way. With a montly pass, it's $2.20 per day. If you get a senior or handicapper pass, it's $2.50 per month.
    Not quite. It's $4 round trip, $2 each way. BUT, the new fare system on May 1 is quite the overhaul.

https://www.smartbus.org/About/News/...ffective-May-1

LOLOLOLOL. Yes, you are. There is no bubble burst. "Empty buses" don't prove shit.

And exactly, I've told you if you don't wish to to participate in an urban society, you're more than welcome to move up north. But for the time being, we'll plan our roads and transit whether you like it or not.

They prove people don't want to ride them. @ first it was because the buses are old and "we need new ones", then it was because there weren't enough routes, then it was because there weren't enough options. Now millions later, still no one is on the buses. I have every right to live where I want to just like you do. I'm not the one clamoring for a free ride on the working taxpayers dime. As I've told you, move home, [[if you don't live there already)). I'm sure if you yell out your bedroom door "MOOOOOOM, I need a ride to work!", she'll gladly accommodate her baby boy.

Services that are funded and operated by the government are, by definition, NOT a charity.

Not quite. It's $4 round trip, $2 each way. BUT, the new fare system on May 1 is quite the overhaul.

https://www.smartbus.org/About/News/...ffective-May-1

Free, free, FREE! They're giving it away, folks, but you must act now! Sounds like more taxpayer subsidizing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Services that are funded the taxpayers by definition, are.
    There you go. Keeping it real.

No, I'm not. 6 buses, 3 different agencies, in one spot, on one 17 mile route, with a total of 14 riders.
    Also, FAST is a SMART service. So the fact you think FAST is its own agency speaks volumes about how much you know and care about transit in this region. You can definitely not care about transit, that's fine. We all have our personal passions. But not caring about it in order to stop it from expanding and/or hoping it's never funded is a dangerous level of cruelty and willful ignorance I've ever seen. Perhaps if you actually took the bus a time or two, you would see how much people still need it and are positively impacted.

There you go. Keeping it real.
    Please don't edit my words. You can argue your point without trolling.

They prove people don't want to ride them.
    It doesn't prove that at all.

Please don't edit my words. You can argue your point without trolling.
    I'm not trolling and you're suffering from the Sanders Syndrome. "It's the [[looks up @ the sky) Government". You're forgetting YOU are the Government. The money has to be allotted from somewhere. And that somewhere is taxes.

I rode this exact bus off-and-on from 1963 to 1966 going to Cass Tech. I saw a lot of strange people and crazy things happen that I would have never known without those wild bus rides. Happy memories.Name:  bus 1.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  83.2 KB

I'm not trolling and you're suffering from the Sanders Syndrome. "It's the [[looks up @ the sky) Government". You're forgetting YOU are the Government. The money has to be allotted from somewhere. And that somewhere is taxes.
    You are trolling, and I'm well aware of how government works. I probably give the government more of my money than you do.

You are trolling, and I'm well aware of how government works. I probably give the government more of my money than you do.

Well I can see you're @ the stage where you're thinking before you post something.

Well I can see you're @ the stage where you're thinking before you post something.
    Got it. Your only point is to derail the conversation because you don't have anything useful to say.

Default Is Public transit CHARITY ?

NO! public transit is a necessity not a want. There are people in the Metro-Detroit area that do not have a car. Most of them can't drive due to outstanding dues and disabilities. Take away public transit and you take away people's need to get to work, school, shopping and other outings.

Free, free, FREE! They're giving it away, folks, but you must act now! Sounds like more taxpayer subsidizing to me.

Our fare system is 15 years behind the times. SMART AND D-DOT is finally fixing up their transit system do that they can be reliable with other mass fare transit systems in the U.S. It's too bad we can regionalize SMART and D-DOT together. Or build a subway system.

Got it. Your only point is to derail the conversation because you don't have anything useful to say.

You forgot to add "Honky, Honky, Honky...." Have a good afternoon "I got a heart on for the D".

You forgot to add "Honky, Honky, Honky...." Have a good afternoon "I got a heart on for the D".
    The only word I have for you is troll.

The only word I have for you is troll.

Because of your limited, narrow mind, that's your answer to everything.

Because of your limited, narrow mind, that's your answer to everything.
    I'll let you go back to counting empty buses.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast