Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default ANOTHER Boutique hotel, apartment announcement in Midtown

Fingers crossed for this development...

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...wn-skyscrapers

Going to have a great views and nice block building this far up Woodward. Sort of like Midtown in Toronto.

Edit: the title should've been "this time in Midtown"

The irony is that this is the type of development that should have gone onto the Statler site... not that lame lowrise stick built development.

Also ironic is that when New Center was rising in the 1920s with the old GM HQ and Fisher Building [[and old Maccabee's Building farther south on Woodward)... the expectation was that higher rise development would continue north from downtown. Who knew it would take 100 years to do so!!
    Last edited by Gistok; March-21-19 at 12:16 PM.

Whoa - that's impressive and looks great. Exciting times we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The irony is that this is the type of development that should have gone onto the Statler site... not that lame lowrise stick built development.
    Yep. The Statler site project is a huge planning and placemaking fail. Hopefully it will at least be well managed and attract some decent retail, services and food.

This design is far too good for that site. I am extremely impressed. This will raise the bar for future development along the Woodward corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    This design is far too good for that site. I am extremely impressed. This will raise the bar for future development along the Woodward corridor.
    I wish the Ilitch's would take notice... but they won't!

Yes, this is a very impressive proposal. $310 million is a huge number for Detroit. Unprecedented for any developer outside of Bedrock or that family business that runs parking lots around LCA. It's precisely the kind of Woodward/Midtown development that QLine boosters and investors thought might be possible if the streetcar was built. Skippers Rule probably needs to be applied here though. Mr. Qazi, the developer, has lots of money but I don't think he's built anything other than healthcare and skilled nursing facilities. $310 million for a first mixed use project is a lot to bite off. Notice the Crain's article contained no mention of a lender. I hope they pull this off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

Also ironic is that when New Center was rising in the 1920s with the old GM HQ and Fisher Building [[and old Maccabee's Building farther south on Woodward)... the expectation was that higher rise development would continue north from downtown. Who knew it would take 100 years to do so!!
    I don't necessarily agree with that 100%. I would have like to see maybe a bit better material wise, but height is tricky. That site is huge, and just the 5 story apartment building is nearly 300 apartments. A high rise like this one, which is reportedly going to be 25-30 stories, would have an immense amount of units, possibly over 1000. I just don't know if that was feasible at the moment.

If it was taller it would have needed to include a hotel or offices, which I think it definitely could have, maybe just not from that developer.

and for the renderings:

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    A high rise like this one, which is reportedly going to be 25-30 stories, would have an immense amount of units, possibly over 1000. I just don't know if that was feasible at the moment.
    what?! I think your math may be off.

Phase 1:
    25-Story Tower:
    In addition to the hotel, which would have 228 rooms across 16 floors of a 25-story tower on Woodward, about 60 luxury condominiums are planned in the nine floors above, according to the development team, which says it is working on securing financing.
    And approximately 750 parking spaces are in the mix, with 325 in a one-level underground garage and 419 spaces in a five-level deck above ground. Between 75,000 and 100,000 square feet of Woodward-facing and other interior retail is planned for things like smaller neighborhood retail to grocery space
    Phase 2
    12 Story Midrise:

12-story building with co-living housing across about 240,000 or 250,000 square feet with "a few hundred" units in 10 floors above two floors of retail.
    30-Story Tower:
    No details given

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    what?! I think your math may be off.

Phase 1:
    25-Story Tower:

Phase 2
    12 Story Midrise:

30-Story Tower:
    No details given
    You didn't read that right. The Statler site is almost 300 units at 5 stories. If it was built up like this development, we're looking at possibly up to 1000 units. This type of development on the Statler site would be very large if built up like the old Statler hotel

hybridy

and for the renderings:
    Thank you - I get really tired of following links to pay walls and cookie traps. I just turn around and go home.

Last edited by Bigb23; March-21-19 at 03:53 PM.

I think it is important to note the inclusion of apartments here as well. Condos have really taken over the market, and with it the price has shot up. I would like to see the market flooded with apartments to help control the prices a little more in midtown. The demand is so high that places are charging whatever the hell they want. More options on the market should help to control that a little bit.

Just Google 'Crain's Detroit Boutique Hotel Midtown'.... it gets you past a Crain's pay wall. Anytime someone adds a Crain's link to DYES, always use a Google search starting with 'Crain's Detroit' plus a few title words... to view the unviewable!

Outline.com works too

I think it is important to note the inclusion of apartments here as well. Condos have really taken over the market, and with it the price has shot up. I would like to see the market flooded with apartments to help control the prices a little more in midtown. The demand is so high that places are charging whatever the hell they want. More options on the market should help to control that a little bit.
    So this is not true at all, at least not for Detroit. Almost everything proposed has been rental. I was actually happy to see some for-sale units in this project, because it's been a missing part of the central city market and shows a transition to something a bit more permanent.

The view from John R towards Woodward and Orchestra Hall. Decent chunk of land. With what looks like a pedestrian walk thru, this will tie the Medical Center to Woodward corridor very nicely.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3495...7i16384!8i8192

So glad that the Hammer & Nail building was saved... and also that the WSU Physicians group never built their 5 story medical building [[which would have razed the Hammer & Nail building).

Hammer & Nail building and this complex will look very nicely together... and make it all look like one larger urban complex!
    Last edited by Gistok; March-21-19 at 10:08 PM.

That central courtyard is so sexy. This area needs a meeting spot, and this will be a very nice one.

We'd been told a few months ago that this was going to be pretty substantial, but I hadn't anticipated anything this significant.

I don't necessarily agree with that 100%. I would have like to see maybe a bit better material wise, but height is tricky. That site is huge, and just the 5 story apartment building is nearly 300 apartments. A high rise like this one, which is reportedly going to be 25-30 stories, would have an immense amount of units, possibly over 1000. I just don't know if that was feasible at the moment.

If it was taller it would have needed to include a hotel or offices, which I think it definitely could have, maybe just not from that developer.
    Actually the city club [[Statler) site, while still underwhelming, is split with Half 9 stories and back half 7 stories amongst its 288 units. The original plan was for five stories then the current developer bought out his business partner and a redesigned plan came out before construction got underway.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Yes, this is a very impressive proposal. $310 million is a huge number for Detroit. Unprecedented for any developer outside of Bedrock or that family business that runs parking lots around LCA. It's precisely the kind of Woodward/Midtown development that QLine boosters and investors thought might be possible if the streetcar was built. Skippers Rule probably needs to be applied here though. Mr. Qazi, the developer, has lots of money but I don't think he's built anything other than healthcare and skilled nursing facilities. $310 million for a first mixed use project is a lot to bite off. Notice the Crain's article contained no mention of a lender. I hope they pull this off.
    No mention of a lender, but here’s some from a Detroit news article yesterday by Candace Williams”
    “The project is expected to create 1,800 construction jobs and 400 permanent jobs, developers said.

The development team involved in The Mid include master developer Rockford & Real Estate Interests, LLC; master architect, inFORM; and Hotel and Condo architects of record, DLR Group.”
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...it/3234396002/

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitRises View Post
    Actually the city club [[Statler) site, while still underwhelming, is split with Half 9 stories and back half 7 stories amongst its 288 units. The original plan was for five stories then the current developer bought out his business partner and a redesigned plan came out before construction got underway.
    That’s way better. Is there any renderings out of that? I can only seem to find the smaller ones. Does that change the construction material? I didn’t think you could go that high with lumber.

That’s way better. Is there any renderings out of that? I can only seem to find the smaller ones. Does that change the construction material? I didn’t think you could go that high with lumber.

If they already have a chain hotel lined up shouldn't financing be imminent? how does this usually work.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    If they already have a chain hotel lined up shouldn't financing be imminent? how does this usually work.
    Yea i would think that if the hotel is lined up and announced that their financing is pretty much in order and this project is serious. Again i absolutely expect major movement and fast progress when they start this summer

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post

Where are you getting the 9 floors from? I only see 7

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast