Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

First floor and mezzanine, 6 stories more above that, and the roof-top deck and amenities rooms. I'd call it eight floors, but we're quibbling, here.

In any case, City Club Apartments CBD already has a page, here, I believe.
    Last edited by Dexlin; March-23-19 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    First floor and mezzanine, 6 stories more above that, and the roof-top deck and amenities rooms. I'd call it eight floors, but we're quibbling, here.

In any case, City Club Apartments CBD already has a page, here, I believe.
    It looks like 8 floors in the renderings but I believe I read 9 in some articles. But then again the Weat Elm hotel is 11 floors in the rendering but announced as 12 floors.

Renderings are always subject to change and may not be fully accurate. If you look to the right in the rendering of City Club posted on the last page there’s some buildings that don’t actually exist.

Take them with a grain of salt.

No, no. I really don't want to belabor this too much longer, but there is nothing wrong with the rendering, rather how one counts floors, whether one counts mezzanine and roof-top decks as floors. I usually count mezzanine's as an additional floor, though unless more than half of the roof-top is enclosed, I usually don't count that as a traditional "floor."

Again, though, we're quibbling over a floor or two for a project that's not even the subject of the thread.

Just an aside... but does anyone else find amusing how architectural renderers like to invert perspective, i.e. the tops of the buildings should be smaller than their bases, not larger, in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Just an aside... but does anyone else find amusing how architectural renderers like to invert perspective, i.e. the tops of the buildings should be smaller than their bases, not larger, in real life.
    Architects insist and having the vertical lines of a building remain straight throughout a rendering or photograph. I am constantly adjusting my images for that. It does give it an unnatural look at times.

The project is on the city planning commission agenda for tonight

https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitm...20600%20PM.pdf

A national chain fitness center would be perfect. I’ve heard Lifetime Fitness offers an urban style footprint for smaller locations that have all the basic essentials.
    Last edited by SammyS; April-20-19 at 05:04 PM.

Default 'The Mid' hotel, condo space secures $58M in tax reimbursements

I would imagine we see ground-breaking soon on The Mid following this announcement.

Also in that article they describe a parking garage w/ ground floor retail that is going on Erksine street. Part of this garage is to support the West Elm hotel development as well, the hotel will use it for valet.

It's nice to see both Orchestra Hall and Detroit Opera House being forerunners to the areas where they were restored. With The Mid being built right across the street from The Max... and a new high rise development going up next to the Opera House... performing arts really do help revitalize an area. Same thing happened in the 1960s when Lincoln Center was built in the then crime infested part of NYC near Columbus Circle.

Glad to see this is still pushing through.

Turkia Mullin? Owners Representative? LMAO. Better hide your wallets.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Turkia Mullin? Owners Representative? LMAO. Better hide your wallets.
    she's got lots of backdoor dealings

Some residents, such as Turkia Mullin, who earlier this decade made headlines when she was fired as Detroit Metro Airport CEO in 2011 amid controversy over a severance payout, believe the city’s mailer has helped explain the issues.
    In recent posts on a nextdoor.com website for Birmingham residents, Mullin encouraged other voters to read the mailer before deciding on the bond proposal. “I think the mailer speaks for itself,” she said in an interview. “I don’t really wish to comment on it.”
    Mullin said she has no connection to any Birmingham officials or the development group, which includes Ron Boji of Boji Associates. The News has reported that Mullin, a former Wayne County economic development director, was involved in the county's purchase of an Inkster building from Boji’s group.
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...am/1772278001/

With brownfield financing approval, Midtown high-rise project targets September start

The Mid's first phase is slated to include a 25-story hotel and condominium building with 225 hotel rooms and 60 for-sale units.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a portion of the for sale units need to be sold prior to construction.

I foresee delays and or extensions granted.

Lets hope this gets built [[I am skeptical as well - especially the 2nd phase ever happening) but you never know.

If all the stars align and the projects announced actually get started, there could potentially be a ton of development on Woodward next summer:
    1) Monroe Block
    2) Hudson site
    3) New Chemical/TCF bank headquarters
    4) DMC Sports Medicine building
    5) 12 story Bonstelle Theater/West elm hotel
    6) The Mid

Detroit projects scaling back amid rising construction costs

Yet another condominium project in Detroit is on life support.

The developer behind the planned $377 million The Mid project just north of Detroit's Whole Foods Inc. store says that it's "unlikely" the dozens of high-end condos that were planned as part of the two high-rises envisioned for the site will be developed after all.
    "We are evaluating luxury extended stay along with luxury multi-family for the residential units," Turkia Mullin, a real estate executive working on the project, said in a statement to Crain's. "The team has not made final decisions regarding changes to the program; however, it is unlikely we will develop condos."

Removing condos means it's on life support? I thought crains was better at refraining from sensationalized journalism. They also mention financing will be finished, that's the opposite of life support. I think it's a mistake to get rid of the condos but whatever.

The article has an update on Lafayette West that's been in limbo for awhile. It seems they're dedicated to the same project and will start construction soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    Removing condos means it's on life support? I thought crains was better at refraining from sensationalized journalism. They also mention financing will be finished, that's the opposite of life support. I think it's a mistake to get rid of the condos but whatever.

The article has an update on Lafayette West that's been in limbo for awhile. It seems they're dedicated to the same project and will start construction soon.
    Geeze. Thank God it was sensational journalism. Never read the article but the headline made me go aw shucks. Another one bites the dust. Detroit just needs a little new-build momentum. Hudson’s will give them that. Hopefully skilled trades will increase in the area so construction costs go down

About 'The Mid', a well-built, new construction luxury condo in that area could easily fetch $350 a square foot these days, based on current sales that are public record. Even if they build at $225-$250, as quoted in the article, it seems to me there is still quite a bit of profit to be made. I wonder if financing could be the real issue here, rather than construction costs. There are no comps for new construction condos of that scale in Midtown, though there is a huge demand for it. The developers would have had to find someone with vision to secure financing for the project. I am guessing they didn't.
    Last edited by CR75; January-13-20 at 04:26 PM.

Where is the development of this boutique hotel? All I see is a big pit and a tall building next to a sub-apt housing units and a parking garage. If they is no investors who are interested of your building project shut it down.

https://www.dlrgroup.com/work/the-thompson-detroit/

Some updated renderings. Looks like it’s officially a Thompson hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by JK313 View Post
    https://www.dlrgroup.com/work/the-thompson-detroit/

Some updated renderings. Looks like it’s officially a Thompson hotel.
    Those will likely change again since they mentioned that they are axing the condos.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Those will likely change again since they mentioned that they are axing the condos.
    Yeah I wonder if they’ll replace them with anything, or just keep the hotel component, which appears to be 17 stories

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    They said they're replacing the condos for multifamily so this is probably gonna be it.

Wasn't Thompson announced to be the hotel a long time ago? When was this put up on their website?
    Last edited by Metro25; January-23-20 at 09:01 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast