Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Happy 150th, Albert Kahn!

Today we celebrate the 150th anniversary of Albert Kahn's birth on March 21, 1869. He was born in Rhaunen, Germany and came to the US in 1880.

He truly was the 'Architect of Detroit'. We know him for the Fisher Building, Packard Plant, Cadillac Place, Highland Park Ford Plant, Bonstelle Theatre, National Theatre, the Ford House, and so much more!

Here's the Wikipedia article to read more about him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Kahn_[[architect)

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Today we celebrate the 150th anniversary of Albert Kahn's birth on March 21, 1869. He was born in Rhaunen, Germany and came to the US in 1880.

He truly was the 'Architect of Detroit'. We know him for the Fisher Building, Packard Plant, Cadillac Place, Highland Park Ford Plant, Bonstelle Theatre, National Theatre, the Ford House, and so much more!

Here's the Wikipedia article to read more about him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Kahn_[[architect)
    Albert Kahn while very prolific IS NOT the architect of Detroit. Kahn designed somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,500 buildings in the metro. That is a miniscule number of the million plus buildings that have been built in the area over time. That inaccurate statement does a disservice to the 2,500 plus architects and architectural designers who worked in the city from the time Kahn opened his office in 1895 until his death in 1942. The city's fabulous architecture is due to their work, not the work of one architect! I wish Lowell would ban Wikipedia on here, the article on Kahn is so inaccurate its laughable. Just for reference William H. Kuni designed over 1,500 houses in the metro area and Smith, Hinchman & Grylls is well over 2,000.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; March-23-19 at 12:55 PM.

My favorite Khan building is the Fisher building. Too bad the theater was redone, to boring blah. The Bonstelle is awesome too. What an architect - great work! See below an older link showcasing 400 Kahn buildings and homes:

http://ilovedetroitmichigan.com/detr...metro-detroit/
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-23-19 at 02:24 PM.

Also a numeric value of buildings means little. Kahn's legacy is much greater and more well known. Kuni houses are great and SHG/Smith Group has their own amazing portfolio. Albert Kahn and Detroit will always be first and foremost hand in hand.

I would add that while Kahn the firm produced a lot of prominent buildings, Kahn the man was not the person who designed them and he was more of a businessman.

The GM HQ, First National Bank Building, Detroit News Building, and more were designed by Wirt Rowland. Many of the great educational buildings in the city were designed by him while at various firms.

Through the quality, number, and prominence of buildings, and his very active involvement in the architecture community, Rowland is the Architect of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Albert Kahn while very prolific IS NOT the architect of Detroit. Kahn designed somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,500 buildings in the metro. That is a miniscule number of the million plus buildings that have been built in the area over time. That inaccurate statement does a disservice to the 2,500 plus architects and architectural designers who worked in the city from the time Kahn opened his office in 1895 until his death in 1942. The city's fabulous architecture is due to their work, not the work of one architect! I wish Lowell would ban Wikipedia on here, the article on Kahn is so inaccurate its laughable. Just for reference William H. Kuni designed over 1,500 houses in the metro area and Smith, Hinchman & Grylls is well over 2,000.
    I think of Kahn primarily designing industrial buildings, and SH&G designing office buildings, although they each did both, plus houses and civic buildings.

I haven't heard much about William H. Kuni, and there isn't much online. He must have had quite an office to design and build 1500 houses. Did the depression finish him, or did he continue building after 1929?

The Fisher building remains a Kahn fav for me... older article on the building:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/201...ding/71460314/

The Kahn building is nice as well:

https://archpaper.com/2016/11/fisher...g-redeveloped/