Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dr. Ossian Sweet Home at Garland and Charlevoix

In August of last year, the Historic Preservation Fund of the National Park Service awarded the city of Detroit one-half million dollars to create an historic site at 2905 Garland. I believe the funds were to be used to preserve the home he owned and to buy two neighboring residences.

Is anything happening with regard to this endeavor to commemorate a significant chapter in the city's history?

Cool history but what was the difference in the first AA moving in 1921 verses 1925?

https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/4/18...ers-home-saved

Thank you for the information about Dr. Johnson and his home in the
    Jefferson-Chalmers neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Cool history but what was the difference in the first AA moving in 1921 verses 1925?

https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/4/18...ers-home-saved
    The difference was that Dr. Johnson's experience in his house was quiet compared to Dr. Sweet's. If Clarence Darrow comes to town to defend you, as he did for Dr. Sweet, you know you have trouble.

If you follow the link in your article, you'll go to renf's page describing Dr. Sweet's troubles, and why the house is significant.

The OP did not provide anymore information as to the significance of the House,so I searched the address and Wikipedia has a detailed article.

Back to my question,the first African American moved into the neighborhood in 1921 and there was no problems,as provided with my link.

What changed from 1921 to 1925 in the neighborhood that caused the uproar?

The 1925 house recieved reconigition because of a race issue where as the 1921 house recieved no recognition for some really groundbreaking positive achievements for an African amercian of that time.

I was not debating the historical history or deserved recognition of the 1925 house.
    Last edited by Richard; March-22-19 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The OP did not provide anymore information as to the significance of the House,so I searched the address and Wikipedia has a detailed article.

Back to my question,the first African American moved into the neighborhood in 1921 and there was no problems,as provided with my link.

What changed from 1921 to 1925 in the neighborhood that caused the uproar?

The 1925 house recieved reconigition because of a race issue where as the 1921 house recieved no recognition for some really groundbreaking positive achievements for an African amercian of that time.

I was not debating the historical history or deserved recognition of the 1925 house.
    Ossian Sweet's story is all over the internet if you really are interested.

^ yes I found that out when I searched the address as stated already,it still does not answer my question.

Huh? First of all, Jefferson-Chalmers is an entirely different neighborhood than Garland & Charlevoix, then and now. But more importantly, Ossian Sweet's family's arrival at Garland & Charlevoix resulted in a reaction and an incident that became national news and resulted in one of the most notable trials of the era, one which involved Clarence Darrow. That's the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Huh? First of all, Jefferson-Chalmers is an entirely different neighborhood than Garland & Charlevoix, then and now. But more importantly, Ossian Sweet's family's arrival at Garland & Charlevoix resulted in a reaction and an incident that became national news and resulted in one of the most notable trials of the era, one which involved Clarence Darrow. That's the difference.
    A dead man on the lawn is a bit of a dramatic difference too. Add in Clarence Darrow. And a dash of 'Doctor' which makes racist attacks harder to forgive.

This is major Detroit History. A top-ten. Nationally preservation-worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    A dead man on the lawn is a bit of a dramatic difference too. Add in Clarence Darrow. And a dash of 'Doctor' which makes racist attacks harder to forgive.

This is major Detroit History. A top-ten. Nationally preservation-worthy.
    And, a direct incentive for the Legislature of the State of Michigan to enact:
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/[[S[[0br...ct-372-of-1927

FIREARMS
    Act 372 of 1927
    AN ACT to regulate and license the selling, purchasing, possessing, and carrying of certain firearms, gas ejecting devices, and electro-muscular disruption devices; to prohibit the buying, selling, or carrying of certain firearms, gas ejecting devices, and electro-muscular disruption devices without a license or other authorization; to provide for the forfeiture of firearms and electro-muscular disruption devices under certain circumstances; to provide for penalties and remedies; to provide immunity from civil liability under certain circumstances; to prescribe the powers and duties of certain state and local agencies; to prohibit certain conduct against individuals who apply for or receive a license to carry a concealed pistol; to make appropriations; to prescribe certain conditions for the appropriations; and to repeal all acts and parts of acts inconsistent with this act.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; March-23-19 at 03:05 AM.

I am glad that Dr. Ossian Sweet brought a decent Detroit home. In an all white Detroit neighborhood. Fought the system and won.

"Now, nearly 60 years after Sweet’s death, prominent Detroiters are raising money to restore the house and transform it into an interactive museum about his case. Two houses across the street, where the mob gathered, would also be preserved."

"The first phase of the restoration should begin in April, with planned updates including restored electricity, piping and furniture. "

"During phase two, the basement will be transformed into an interactive museum comprising touch screens and a short docudrama that outlines the Sweet trials and major events that took place in Detroit during 1925."

"Baxter hopes to raise enough money to run the phases parallel so the museum will open on Sept. 8, 2020, the 95th anniversary of the shootings. Ownership of the house would be placed in a separate trust, the William H. and Ruby Baxter Trust."

https://www.bridgemi.com/detroit/oss...will-be-museum

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I am glad that Dr. Ossian Sweet brought a decent Detroit home. In an all white Detroit neighborhood. Fought the system and won.
    True. And we've come a long way since; although there are still steps ahead, eh?

Actually, Dr. Sweet bought the home at Garland and Charlevoix on a land
    contract from a very light skinned African American who had been living
    in that home. Skin color made a different.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    Correct. Dark skinned African Americans were looked down upon. Even today, there is still a stigma.

The owner whom had sold the house to Sweet probably was so light complexioned that he passed for White

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The owner whom had sold the house to Sweet probably was so light complexioned that he passed for White
    Are you saying he was passing for white or that he could if he chose to?

`

I was taking pictures of Dr. Sweet's home at Garland and Charlevoix yesterday. The administration in Washington granted about $500,000 to restore the home as an important historical site. I saw no signs of any work begin accomplished. Earlier posts on this tread suggested that work would start on this historic site in April of this year. Does anyone know the reason for the apparent delay? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Correct. Dark skinned African Americans were looked down upon. Even today, there is still a stigma.
    Being a light skinned African American came [[and still comes) with its own set of challenges too.

See "Queen: The Story of a American Family" by Alex Haley as an example of one depiction.
    Last edited by 313WX; August-21-20 at 10:12 AM.

I was taking pictures of Dr. Sweet's home at Garland and Charlevoix yesterday. The administration in Washington granted about $500,000 to restore the home as an important historical site. I saw no signs of any work begin accomplished. Earlier posts on this tread suggested that work would start on this historic site in April of this year. Does anyone know the reason for the apparent delay? Thank you.
    I'd guess that the current COVID pandemic has slowed down the progress here, just as it has slowed or completed halted endeavors across the spectrum. Owner Daniel Baxter is involved in local government so likely has a lot on his plate at this time.

The lastest news items on the house's future.....
    The story of Dr. Ossian Sweet and his historic home in Detroit
    https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...me-in-detroit/

Ossian Sweet house being preserved to reflect civil rights struggle
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...le/2299884001/

Thank you for the information about the preservation of Dr. Sweet's home.

That's SUPER HOOD over there. The 1/2 mile nearest Alter Rd. [[The boarder to Grosse Pointe Park) is some of the roughest in all of Detroit. Actually, I'd wager the blocks near Alter by Jefferson ARE the roughest.

A tough place to do preservation [[and maintain it).

The location of Dr. Sweet's home, Garland at Charlevoix, is not near the
    intetrsection of Alter and East Jefferson. It may be three miles away. The
    Jefferson Chalmers neighborhood is now undergoing a renovation. The
    shopping area along East Jefferson there got support from one of the "Cool Cities" grants that were made during the Granholm administration. The Fiat-Chrysler Community Benefits agreement includes funds to rehabilitate the neighborhood near their new and renovated Jefferson North plants. In this midst of this pandemic, the Jefferson North plants assembled 8100 Dodge Durangos and 29,000 Jeep Cherokees in July.

Another historical home similar to the Dr. Ossian Sweet Home was The Orsel McGhee House at 4626 Seebaldt St. from the McGhee v. Sipes, 334 US 1 - 1948 - ‎Supreme Court case.

Name:  s_bottomTEMP425x425-3945.jpeg
Views: 513
Size:  31.5 KB Name:  1c04cedf14c8de53679cb52b80a5400e.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  84.5 KB

There was even a 1998 Made-for-TV movie based on the case called "The Color of Courage" starring Roger Guenveur Smith.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast