Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

I don't know but the first thing I thought of are all those "micro motels", cheap nightly/weekly bringing in riffraff. Particularly near the Home Depot.
    Last edited by Maof; March-18-19 at 09:28 AM.

I might add, I believe the one motel behind that gas station off of Little Mack near the freeway entrance, does provide for the homeless thru MCREST.

I prompt this because I have family here and have been asking them to leave for 10+ years. They’ll stick it out, but I know it’s a losing proposition. Their block looks shabby at best [[night and day from 10 years ago). Lots of housing turnover, low to middle yard maintenance, overgrown/dead landscape. Zero pride in ownership. Lots of barking dogs and chain-linked fenced dirt yards. Broke down cars sitting out on the curb for months at a time.

Regarding the crappy motels, I know Roseville is very rigorous about shutting down folks over city ordinances, similar to warren. Why do they permit these sketchy operators to exist? To me, Roseville has a better mix of industrial and retailing businesses paying taxes [[Harper Woods, eastpointe, center line). Granted housing prices and likely resident income hasn’t recovered from the recession. The school district has not been good for a couple decades. Groesbeck is a 7-lane gravely littered hellscape. Is this just more evidence that some of our inner ring burbs are simply doomed?
    Last edited by hybridy; March-18-19 at 07:12 PM.

Not sure why this is in non-Detroit. Pretty sure everyone in Roseville would consider themselves Metro Detroiters.

Southern Macomb, south of Metro Parkway, is a mess. Almost everywhere south of 16 Mile is in visible decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Not sure why this is in non-Detroit. Pretty sure everyone in Roseville would consider themselves Metro Detroiters.

Southern Macomb, south of Metro Parkway, is a mess. Almost everywhere south of 16 Mile is in visible decline.
    https://www.citylab.com/equity/2017/...crisis/521709/

During the mid-1980s, before anyone thought of the suburbs as being on a downward trajectory, the urban designer David Lewis, a Carnegie Mellon colleague of mine at the time, told me that the future project of suburban renewal would likely make our vast 20th-century urban renewal efforts look like a walk in the park.

I have to travel to and deal with a lot of Detroit's suburbs. The more affluent one's are still holding it together. Others, what was once considered "blue collar" working man's suburbia, are downright scary to go into.

That was HUDs social experiment,they figured if you mixed low income by eliminating the projects and allowing excess to the burbs, by increasing the housing allowance,people would change their lifestyle habits.

It was accelerated in the 90s and again with the previous administration threatening to remove HUD funding to cities if they did not comply with the mixed neighborhood initiative.

Which was every neighborhood must have a equal amount of the races.

Considering the impact of destruction of complete neighborhoods across the country it would have been more cost effective to educate,train and provide opportunities versus the forced relocation route.

Because as we see the only thing it has accomplished is the ones that provided the neighborhood stability left.

Maybe it is in the non Detroit section because you can take Roseville and call it any city USA because it is repeated all over the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That was HUDs social experiment,they figured if you mixed low income by eliminating the projects and allowing excess to the burbs, by increasing the housing allowance,people would change their lifestyle habits.

It was accelerated in the 90s and again with the previous administration threatening to remove HUD funding to cities if they did not comply with the mixed neighborhood initiative.

Which was every neighborhood must have a equal amount of the races.

Considering the impact of destruction of complete neighborhoods across the country it would have been more cost effective to educate,train and provide opportunities versus the forced relocation route.

Because as we see the only thing it has accomplished is the ones that provided the neighborhood stability left.

Maybe it is in the non Detroit section because you can take Roseville and call it any city USA because it is repeated all over the country.

Try to catch a documentary called "Heroin[[e)". It's about a small mining town in West Virginia, [[also not in Detroit) that's seen better days, and the opioid epidemic impact there. It could be any small 'burb anywhere, though. Another reason middle-class American towns and 'burbs are experiencing such a downturn.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Try to catch a documentary called "Heroin[[e)". It's about a small mining town in West Virginia, [[also not in Detroit) that's seen better days, and the opioid epidemic impact there. It could be any small 'burb anywhere, though. Another reason middle-class American towns and 'burbs are experiencing such a downturn.
    I will check it out.

In the 70s heroin destroyed the cities,[[French connection)80s crack cocaine [[CIA)[[spell check refused to let me write that word) 90s meth,2000s opioids,you have to wonder what the next drug of populace will be.

Heroin is cheap comparatively and the Mexican cartels are flooding the market to make up for the loss in marijuana and is less bulky to smuggle quantities then marijuana.

Politics aside but that is the next storm,the government is cracking down on meth production,the opioids are getting really hard to get,heroin is way cheaper to use on a daily basis.70% comes directly across the southern border.Whether we want to admit it or not.

The Mexicans took the trade from the Canadians.

If you think about it,300 kilos a day of pure heroin,1.5 kilo of pure heroin “cut” makes 5 kilos of street heroin compared to cocaine where 1 kilo makes 2 , roughly $175 million per day.

Interesting case going on down here,guy facing vehicular manslaughter charge is useing he was stoned on weed as a defense.

They busted a Arab spice king pin that made 60 million in two years and gave him less then ten years.

I see a lot of the tiny little towns all over the south that were once the bastions of good living that have gone to crap from meth,people living in a town of 500 locking their doors that they have never had to in the last 100 years.

Cant even hardly make up a batch of shine anymore without the meth heads stealing the copper from the still.

The scrapping phase helped destroy a lot of neighborhoods also.

When the OP told the story of the relatives in the post,it reminded me of the movie Gran Torino.

It is like what happened in Puerto Rico,the young generation headed to the states and their elderly parents refused to leave because they were comfortable and it was what they knew,even though it was detrimental.

But then on the other hand,if everybody had given up on Detroit and left there would have been nothing left to build on because without people that care all hope is lost.So in a way maybe they are also providing that glimmer of hope that others may build on.

That is also leaving many towns vacant across the country also.
    Last edited by Richard; March-20-19 at 10:46 PM.

Another shooting yesterday near Masonic and and the freeway. I believe it's the apartments behind Kroger.

https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/artic...iously-injured

Also heard there was another in the parking lot at the SPOT bar next to Dunhams off Gratiot a few days ago.
    Last edited by Maof; March-21-19 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I have to travel to and deal with a lot of Detroit's suburbs. The more affluent one's are still holding it together. Others, what was once considered "blue collar" working man's suburbia, are downright scary to go into.
    ^^^To be fair, this is the case all across the country.

In fact, I'd say Detroit [[blue collar city) vs. Seattle [[white collar city) as wholes for example is a macrocasm of what you describe
    Last edited by 313WX; March-23-19 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    ^^^To be fair, this is the case all across the country.

In fact, I'd say Detroit [[blue collar city) vs. Seattle [[white collar city) as wholes for example is a macrocosm of what you describe
    I found this recent hour-long video stunning: Seattle is Dying. It's about Seattle's growing homelessness, theft, drug and mental illness problems. There's a lot of passionate righteousness but the taboo solution is never even mentioned.

Most advocate more incarceration, ignoring the already notorious overincarceration problem in this country. That hasn't worked.

Pry the vampire fangs of the rich and powerful out of our economy's jugular vein and watch how many of these and other social problems vanish. That taboo solution hasn't even been tried. Will it ever?