Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Makes Top 10 List of Cities With Most Aggressive Drivers

It sits at #8 on the list.

https://business.gasbuddy.com/blog-c...e-drivers-usa/

This part was most interesting [[but not surprising):

"While cities like Los Angeles and Philadelphia take the top spots in regards to hard braking and rapid acceleration, San Diego, Orlando and Detroit take the top 3 spots for cities with the most speeding incidents."

NOT even close to those in NYC.
    I lived out there for a decade and Detroiters are fairly mellow.

Speeding might be a problem in metro Detroit,
    but our traffic snarls aren't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post

Houston and Atlanta are the worst cities I've driven in, especially Houston with their 6 lanes of traffic both ways and what seems like a 100 mph minimum speed.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post

Agreed. Detroit drivers are the embodiment of Miss Manners polite compared to New York drivers.
    Last edited by iheartthed; March-17-19 at 12:11 PM.

Disagree. New York drivers = aggressive, Detroit drivers = reckless
    Last edited by Towne Cluber; March-17-19 at 02:16 PM.

detroit drivers need to obey stop signs and red lights. it's bad

The cut-across from the left lane on the freeway to the right exit with 500 feet remaining, without a signal or a glance, is a patented Detroit move you won't see too many other places. It's the mentality of, "I'm going there", without a bit of consideration for others. Need proof ? When people from the city started to move to Roseville, they had to put an absolutely huge sign at the Gratiot exit...."Cannot use first turnaround on Gratiot after exiting freeway". Cutting across 4 lanes of traffic in a couple hundred feet was ok because, "I need to go there !" Standard procedure in the city.

Blinkers. USE YOUR BLINKERS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    The cut-across from the left lane on the freeway to the right exit with 500 feet remaining, without a signal or a glance, is a patented Detroit move you won't see too many other places. It's the mentality of, "I'm going there", without a bit of consideration for others. Need proof ? When people from the city started to move to Roseville, they had to put an absolutely huge sign at the Gratiot exit...."Cannot use first turnaround on Gratiot after exiting freeway". Cutting across 4 lanes of traffic in a couple hundred feet was ok because, "I need to go there !" Standard procedure in the city.
    Yea, and that free cross-cut move seems to occur frequently with huge pickup trucks. I hadn't been back to SE MI in a while and driving on I-75 reminded me how fast people drive in the area. Felt like the South Warren Grand Prix.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Yea, and that free cross-cut move seems to occur frequently with huge pickup trucks. I hadn't been back to SE MI in a while and driving on I-75 reminded me how fast people drive in the area. Felt like the South Warren Grand Prix.
    I was driving in Portland, Oregon and everyone was going under the speed limit. I didn't catch on right away, and then I saw the cameras. Amazing what a deterrent a speeding ticket received through the mail can provide. Kind of like the guy who flips you off because you're doing the legal limit in front of him, and then slams on his brakes after passing you at the first sight of a cop car.

I was driving in Portland, Oregon and everyone was going under the speed limit. I didn't catch on right away, and then I saw the cameras. Amazing what a deterrent a speeding ticket received through the mail can provide. Kind of like the guy who flips you off because you're doing the legal limit in front of him, and then slams on his brakes after passing you at the first sight of a cop car.
    Thankfully, Red light and speed cameras are illegal in Michigan.
    https://www.thenewspaper.com/news/15/1582.asp

That sign... telling you that you cannot exit the freeway and make a U-Turn on Gratiot, until you hit Masonic [[13 1/2 Mile), has been there for at least 40 years.

Detroiters drive FAST. It was the first thing I, happily, noticed when I started driving here regularly again after several years in NYC, SF, Boston and overseas. In addition to driving fast, we mostly drive in control too. There are some glaring examples of tailgaters of course, and the last second lane cutters noted above, but far fewer than are seen in truly hyper-aggressive cities. Part of the difference I think is that a lot of Detroiters drive like people who have some understanding of how their vehicle actually functions.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Thankfully, Red light and speed cameras are illegal in Michigan.
    https://www.thenewspaper.com/news/15/1582.asp
    That opinion sounds a little shaky. I wonder if the new AG would agree.

In addition to the abnormally high number of red light/stop sign runners as well as hit and runs — 50% of drivers being unlicensed and/or uninsured tells one all that they need to know about the matter.
    Last edited by Towne Cluber; March-18-19 at 07:27 PM.

Detroit? Learned to drive there. Drove there for over 20 years. Damned glad of it, too. You want ignorant uninsured drivers, come on down here to South Florida. Lots of folks that shouldn't be driving do so down here, like it's their right or something.

Try driving around in Beijing. Utterly insane. On second thought, don't try. Let the cabbies do the driving.
    Last edited by Pat001; March-25-19 at 10:43 AM.